Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which oil for high mile D5

Views : 4519

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 21:20   #1
Hendy

Default Which oil for high mile D5

Hi guys,

Just picked up a 2011 V70 d5 with 175k on it.

Wanted to give it a oil and filter change I see 0w30 long life is what recommend was just wondering if maybe on the higher miler do any of yous change to a different oil?

Also out of interest do yous buy 25litre drum at a time or just two gallon jars?

Thanks in advance

P.s I did do a search on the forum and was reading results back to 2012 but must of them were for different engines etc
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 21:25   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Mine is on 100k and I shall continue with the 0w30.

I would also continue with the specified oil in yours myself. Provided the Aux belt, timing bet and air filter are changed (alongside oil and filter) I think you will find 175k is not considered all that many.

I buy from Eastbourne volvo (Chris and Ashley) as the oil is well priced and you get an official Volvo invoice.

Best
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 23:38   #3
AndyV7o
Premier Member

You dont need to change. 0w30 is fine.
If it was consuming a lot and sounding a bit rattly, a 0w40 would be a good swap, but generally, ya fine.
175k is low miles for a D5, they'll go beyond 500k without bother if serviced well and not cold-thrashed.
Dont be tempted by additives either, 99% of em are nonsense, just use quality oil from a big brand.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 19:42   #4
tonys1966

Default oil

i use 5/30 fully synth low saps generlly
change 6-7k or once a year in the d5 and my other dervs
mine is low miles too[the d5] its only on 191k now
tonys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonys1966 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 20:06   #5
Hendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys1966 View Post
i use 5/30 fully synth low saps generlly
change 6-7k or once a year in the d5 and my other dervs
mine is low miles too[the d5] its only on 191k now
Any reason why? Benefits?
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 21:08   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy View Post
Any reason why? Benefits?
Cheaper and easier to get hold of.
Circulates slower in cold and isnt quite the same quality, but there's little in it.
18k intervals hammer the oil and maintain a level of contaminants and particulates within the engine after a change, whereas changing sooner gets, and keeps, it all squeaky clean and well lubed. 6-7k is a bit wasteful of the oil, 10-12k is sweet spot.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Dec 23rd, 2019 at 21:13.
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 21:17   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Cheaper and easier to get hold of.
Circulates slower in cold and isnt quite the same quality, but there's little in it.
18k intervals hammer the oil and maintain a level of contaminants and particulates within the engine after a change, whereas changing sooner gets, and keeps, it all squeaky clean and well lubed. 6-7k is excessive, 10-12k is sweet spot.
It is squeaky clean and well lubed at 18000 mile services too . That is why castrol and volvo who work together in the factory decided on this oil and service interval . Nobody knows better than them ... It has been around for 13 years now on the vast majority of the 500,000 + volvo diesels sold in the UK since ... with no lubrication problems ...
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 21:17   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I agree that changing oil more frequently than the service schedule can never be a bad thing but when did anyone post on here that their engine had just "worn out" (cambelt failures and diesel runaway apart....).

In 99% of cases the engine will outlast the suspension, gearbox and electrical system even if you changed the oil every 25k.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 21:37   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I agree that changing oil more frequently than the service schedule can never be a bad thing but when did anyone post on here that their engine had just "worn out" (cambelt failures and diesel runaway apart....).

In 99% of cases the engine will outlast the suspension, gearbox and electrical system even if you changed the oil every 25k.
I have been in the position to measure crankshafts and bores on volvo engines over the last 45 years from the B20 , B14 B172, B27 , B280 B21 ( which has a forged and hardened crank ) B230 B5254 D5244T etc right through to the current engines , and i have never detected wear of any kind which is outside tolerance , there are still crosshatch marks on the bores at 200,000 miles ...and bearing shells are as new .
I enjoyed "overhauling" the V6 after 250000 miles , the liners had sunk causing the head gaskets to leak , camshafts worn , exhaust manifold gaskets blown and studs snapped, oil pump relief valve spring had been broken for a long time , and oil leaking from a split timing case gasket which happened now and again , however the cylinder liners , piston rings and bearing shells all went back in to live another 100,000 + miles into the future ..
anyone using a more viscous oil than recommended is lowering their fuel consumption .
Old Dec 23rd, 2019, 21:46   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I have been in the position to measure crankshafts and bores on volvo engines over the last 45 years from the B20 , B14 B172, B27 , B280 B21 ( which has a forged and hardened crank ) B230 B5254 D5244T etc right through to the current engines , and i have never detected wear of any kind which is outside tolerance , there are still crosshatch marks on the bores at 200,000 miles ...and bearing shells are as new .
I enjoyed "overhauling" the V6 after 250000 miles , the liners had sunk causing the head gaskets to leak , camshafts worn , exhaust manifold gaskets blown and studs snapped, oil pump relief valve spring had been broken for a long time , and oil leaking from a split timing case gasket which happened now and again , however the cylinder liners , piston rings and bearing shells all went back in to live another 100,000 + miles into the future ..
anyone using a more viscous oil than recommended is lowering their fuel consumption .
But from what youve said to me that was petrol engines, not diesels.
Regardless, the oil is hammered to f##k after 18k, and it is no bad thing to renew before its on its death-bed.
Castrol and Volvo worked on r&d before the D5 was comissioned, at which point it ran A3/B4 on a 12k interval not 18k, before ford came along and fiddled with things. We all know how fords are reknowned for their lifespans. The later D5 survive due to volvos original engineering, rather than Ford's penny-pinching.