Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Putting Polestar Optimisation BACK ON

Views : 1838

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 13:07   #1
DomDomDom

Default Putting Polestar Optimisation BACK ON

Hi,

Newbie on the forum, so please be gentle, but owned my 2017 S90 for a few years now. After some advice!

The S90 came with Polestar on, but due to insurance at the time, had to take it off...... , I know, should have sold a kidney instead........

However, now that it is "considered" a factory fit option (and a different insurer!). It is viable to put back on again. Would this just be a labour to put it back on as the software was original purchased for the car? Or would it, "GULP", cost the full whack again? Any had this experience? Or better still, someone who works in a Volvo Dealership?? Thanks in advance!
DomDomDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 13:26   #2
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDomDom View Post
Hi,

Newbie on the forum, so please be gentle, but owned my 2017 S90 for a few years now. After some advice!

The S90 came with Polestar on, but due to insurance at the time, had to take it off...... , I know, should have sold a kidney instead........

However, now that it is "considered" a factory fit option (and a different insurer!). It is viable to put back on again. Would this just be a labour to put it back on as the software was original purchased for the car? Or would it, "GULP", cost the full whack again? Any had this experience? Or better still, someone who works in a Volvo Dealership?? Thanks in advance!
Honestly I would call directly to you closest dealer and discuss that but I won't be surprised if they would like to charge for optimization again
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chudy85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:12   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Interesting question, and I have never heard of anyone in this scenario. I am guessing that a Volvo dealer had to uninstall it, so did you get invoiced for the workshop time? The dealers should have records for the car, so my assumption is as the software has already been paid for you would only need to pay for the re-installation.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 14:03   #4
dgomes

Quote:
Hi,

So, how did you end up addressing this?

Where you able to re-install it?
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 14:43   #5
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Hi,

An old thread I know, but a question hopefully someone can answer.
As stated above, is Polestar Opt. considered a factory fit?

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer

Last edited by Rustyfrog; Apr 6th, 2022 at 16:05.
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 21:55   #6
Ian0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyfrog View Post
An old thread I know, but a question hopefully someone can answer.
As stated above, is Polestar Opt. considered a factory fit?
In the eyes of my insurance company Polestar Optimisation is not considered a factory fit when I wanted to have it installed prior to delivery.
It was classified as an accessory/an add on performance remap/chip and therefore they would not insure the car if I installed.
From previous threads, there are some insurance companies that have a different opinion on this.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 22:48   #7
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I'm with Aviva, no problem or premium extra
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 07:29   #8
Ian0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
I'm with Aviva, no problem or premium extra
That's weird, I am also with Aviva and they refused to insure the car if I added Polestar from new. As it was not on their "added extra" list they had to refer it to the underwriters. As soon as they saw a circa 10bhp increase they refused to insure the car.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 11:56   #9
bornmiddleaged
:-)

I'm with LV. It was about £50 extra, classed as "chipping / remap"
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 12:39   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I have looked into Polstar in the past and would gladly pay the money for it.

I can see that each insurer takes a separate view on the matter, and each insurer will review differently according to how they class it.

On the one hand insurers can class it as factory fit. However, it is actually a performance upgrade, the vehicle has more power, torque and is faster to accelerate. Accordingnly lots of insurers are not going to quote or waste your time etc.

For my 2012 the power was up about 4% and torque a little more so it was not really worth me doing.

I think the real question is why this is not standard across the range. £700 for a dealer to actually manually update in the tiny numbers they do probably equates to well under £100 if rolled out across every vehicle.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote