Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 XC60 tailgate issue and key distance

Views : 679

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2021, 22:49   #1
Sandiss

Default 2009 XC60 tailgate issue and key distance

Hi. I did searched the forum before making this thread so please excuse me if it actually was hidden somewhere.
I’m new to volvo and hence not familiar with all the small glitches so hopping someone had/has same or similar issues and will help me out.
1. The auto boot is not unlocking/opening from the button on the boot. Opens ok from the remote and from the interior button. Have checked the switch and cables around the switch but not all the way to the fuse box as did not had time at that point. What is strange-is that when the boot is opened and lowered manually (had to do that to get to all bolts to remove switch) it does rises the trunk but only when already opened. So I assume that it might be something to do with the unlocking the latch when it is in closed position. But not sure what exactly… all fuses are good.
2. Remote control is only able to unlock the car or basically it works only when i standing just next to the vehicle. Have fitted new Duracell batteries and it improved the distance to around 3 feet from the vehicle but even then not always working on the first press. All contacts are cleaned and the remote looks intact so really don’t have a clue of what it could be. My previous cars remote was working from around 10m easy…any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you and please do not send me to dealers as that is not a option for now.
Sandiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 09:05   #2
Easington
Master Member

Does this apply to both remotes (assuming you have more than one)?
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 11:24   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

My dad’s V70 had the same problem recently... the boot would open with the key & interior switch, but not with the latch.

A used lock or micro switch as they’re known as solved the issue. New was too expensive, so used was the only option (Used £120, new £300+).

Note - You have to buy a lock for a car with an auto tailgate. If you buy a manual lock, the boot will still close with the button, but it won’t drag itself into the fully closed position & you might have to push the boot just before it catches, otherwise you get a door open warning. Auto locks have a wire that basically tensions to pull the boot lid for you, manual ones don’t. So if you have an auto boot, buy an auto lock with the tensioning mechanism. If you had a manual boot, a manual lock will be fine.

Its not the end of the world fitting a manual lock to an auto boot (it can be done), but just keep what I’ve said in mind.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 18th, 2021 at 11:30.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 14:01   #4
Sandiss

I have changed the batteries in one of the remotes and it improved just a bit but still not always working. Only increased the distance on which i can open the car/boot etc by few feet. Other remote still has the old batteries and i am sometimes struggling to unlock the car even when standing just next to it…
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 14:08   #5
Sandiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
My dad’s V70 had the same problem recently... the boot would open with the key & interior switch, but not with the latch.

A used lock or micro switch as they’re known as solved the issue. New was too expensive, so used was the only option (Used £120, new £300+).

Note - You have to buy a lock for a car with an auto tailgate. If you buy a manual lock, the boot will still close with the button, but it won’t drag itself into the fully closed position & you might have to push the boot just before it catches, otherwise you get a door open warning. Auto locks have a wire that basically tensions to pull the boot lid for you, manual ones don’t. So if you have an auto boot, buy an auto lock with the tensioning mechanism. If you had a manual boot, a manual lock will be fine.

Its not the end of the world fitting a manual lock to an auto boot (it can be done), but just keep what I’ve said in mind.
Faulty Micro switch should not work if it is faulty, when the trunk is already open-would it?
It only does not work when the trunk is fully closed but if I open it from the key or button in the interior and then lower the trunk manually, then a button (micro switch) to open the trunk is working and rises it up. The closing button works with no problem if you meant that. Thank you
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 17:46   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

On my dad’s car, the boot would only open with the key or by using the interior button. If you tried to open it manually by the latch, it wouldn’t open.

This issue was solved by fitting a used lock (new was too expensive). I didn’t do it, but my local indi did.

The indi garage I used told me the micro switch can fail, which can also cause these issues noted above. I believe the micro switch is part of the wiring loom near the main lock in the boot, so the switch is separate to the main locking mechanism. By micro switch, I don’t mean interior buttons... its actually a part of the wiring/lock assembly or is close to the lock assembly.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 18th, 2021 at 17:53.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 19:42   #7
Sandiss

Quote:
On my dad’s car, the boot would only open with the key or by using the interior button. If you tried to open it manually by the latch, it wouldn’t open.

This issue was solved by fitting a used lock (new was too expensive). I didn’t do it, but my local indi did.

The indi garage I used told me the micro switch can fail, which can also cause these issues noted above. I believe the micro switch is part of the wiring loom near the main lock in the boot, so the switch is separate to the main locking mechanism. By micro switch, I don’t mean interior buttons... its actually a part of the wiring/lock assembly or is close to the lock assembly.
Thank you. I will soon get a vida/dice and scan it for any faults and if no faults then will try your advice. Thank you for your time
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 22:17   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 21:51   #9
Sandiss

Quote:
Let us know how you get on.
Quick update in smart key issues. Apparently it is very common issue and I finally found out and actually solved the issue. It is faulty remote signal receiver which causes bad reception and/or even no reception at all. It is located on the roof lining close to the rear seat handle (left side) and can be accessed from the rear of the vehicle. My faulty one was made by siemens part nb 30772784. Also I found in other sources that the updated version is not causing problems (part nb. 31419544 and also 31652488) but i have chosen to risk and bought same part number but made by continental instead…i know from Mercedes that siemens modules were prone to fail and for now i can say that all good. Reception is great and my key works even from really long distance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandiss For This Useful Post: