Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No way to treat a Volvo

Views : 1788

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2021, 22:20   #21
AndrewBrown

Looking at the sellers other stuff it looks like they have either broken the whole car

Or stripped it further for track day use and are removing the wipers and remaining interior because they are selling the entire dashboard,

Also the BMW engine is for sale too,

Sad really because its a T reg early one and looks to be quite solid going by the under bonnet photos, should have sold the whole car to someone who would keep it

there's that quick buck I mentioned in another post

EDIT--- I have seen they are selling the front subframe too so I'd say breaking up a perfectly good early 244

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 17th, 2021 at 22:31.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:42   #22
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Off topic, sorry, but seeing AndrewBrown’s sig/tag line - “just because you own a welder...etc”

That’s me. My Dad bought me a welder some years ago, I know it works, because mates have borrowed it, but I haven’t a clue how to use it!

Back on topic, is it all getting a bit personal, chaps?
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 18:48   #23
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
Off topic, sorry, but seeing AndrewBrown’s sig/tag line - “just because you own a welder...etc”

That’s me. My Dad bought me a welder some years ago, I know it works, because mates have borrowed it, but I haven’t a clue how to use it!

Back on topic, is it all getting a bit personal, chaps?
Hello Baxlin

Regarding my signature I have seen some really crappy substandard even dangerous
poor quality blobs of metal on many cars pretending to be "welding" in my career as a vehicle engineer
going back to 1985.

It's not hard to weld properly you just need to learn properly the one thing people try to do which will ruin your welds every time is weld rusty metal.

www.mig-welding.co.uk is a great site to learn welding. also some you tube channels too

The main thing is hands on practice and more practice but not on anything you need welding properly first, scraps of steel of the appropriate thickness is old wings and old sill sections etc these are great fodder, give it a go to build your skills and experience before doing your car,
its a lot more difficult having to clean up a bad welding job on your car by trial and error rather that having a bit of practice beforehand.

Learning the theory of the welder set up, weld penetration and gases etc will give you a great head start and save you a lot of time and money long term.

Doing an adult education evening class is brilliant because you learn tried and tested tricks of the trade from professional trained welders i.e. the college lecturers and you are not burning great big holes in your car or burning the garage down.

Long story short if it looks like this https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/45...8599544b5f.jpg

You're doing it wrong

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 26th, 2021 at 19:06.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2021, 20:04   #24
Baxlin
Old Rocker

^^^^ Thanks for taking the trouble to comment, I really must drag it out from under the bench....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 00:37   #25
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
^^^^ Thanks for taking the trouble to comment, I really must drag it out from under the bench....
before you start check the condition of the welding wire spool

corrosion on the wire will defiantly lead to poor welding performance,

A tip to remember when changing the spool, dont forget to check the pinch roller size is correct for the gauge of wire used usually its either 0.6 or 0.8mm and is two sizes on one roller, two grooves 0.6 0.8, one on either end of the roller.
The most important thing to note is the new spool has ONE goal in life..
to get off the spool and throw coils of itself all over the floor while you are changing it.

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 29th, 2021 at 00:42.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 12:14   #26
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Quote:~
"Doing an adult education evening class is brilliant because you learn tried and tested tricks of the trade from professional trained welders i.e. the college lecturers and you are not burning great big holes in your car or burning the garage down"

Good idea as they generally take you through all the various types of welding-Gas/Arc etc and maybe T.I.G nowadays.

MIG at my collage had been the last on the list possibly because it was recognised as one of the easier methods to master--- practice -practice & practice (thicker metals to start)

Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: