Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towbar electrics

Views : 526

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 21:54   #1
Gazdkw
Master Member
 

Last Online: Aug 2nd, 2021 18:07
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Leicester
Default Towbar electrics

I need to add a grey 12s socket to my tow bar as I only have the black one. Iv been advised i need a split charge relay but it's something that doesnt come with a 12s socket.

Is this something that is already part of the cars wiring? I have an angle bracket which is easy enough to source and most 12s sockets come pre wired
__________________
2008 XC70 2.4D SE
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 23:12   #2
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 20:49
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
I need to add a grey 12s socket to my tow bar as I only have the black one. Iv been advised i need a split charge relay but it's something that doesnt come with a 12s socket.

Is this something that is already part of the cars wiring? I have an angle bracket which is easy enough to source and most 12s sockets come pre wired
You need to modify the caravan to suit a 13 pin socket ...
or get a 13 pin plug to 2 x 7 pin sockets adapter lead ...


https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-480744/2008

No3 I would think
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:23   #3
Gazdkw
Master Member
 

Last Online: Aug 2nd, 2021 18:07
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Leicester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You need to modify the caravan to suit a 13 pin socket ...
or get a 13 pin plug to 2 x 7 pin sockets adapter lead ...


https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-480744/2008

No3 I would think
I already have one a 13 pin to 2x7 adapter. Why cant I just add a 12s rather than convert to 13pin?

Is it to do with the electrics available on the car?
__________________
2008 XC70 2.4D SE
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 11:24   #4
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 20:49
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
I already have one a 13 pin to 2x7 adapter. Why cant I just add a 12s rather than convert to 13pin?

Is it to do with the electrics available on the car?
All the wires you need are in the 13 pin socket ....
its just neater with one plug 👍
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 12:48   #5
Whyman
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:38
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newark
Default

The standardization to 13 pin was to overcome the problem of the 12n and 12s plugs and sockets melting due to poor contacts and subsequent heat bulld up.
__________________
XC60 2013 D5 215 SE Lux Nav geartronic
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:04   #6
Gazdkw
Master Member
 

Last Online: Aug 2nd, 2021 18:07
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Leicester
Default

So would changing the existing 12n socket for a 13 pin socket be an easier process?

Would I need anything else? Is there any changes to be done on vida?
__________________
2008 XC70 2.4D SE
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 20:51   #7
Whyman
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:38
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newark
Default

You should just be able to change the wiring over with no need to use vida.

You need to make sure the socket is aligned properly to ensure easy engagement.

There is a little “gizmo” that also doubles as a cover for the plug when it is not plug into the car to do this.
__________________
XC60 2013 D5 215 SE Lux Nav geartronic
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 21:29   #8
Gazdkw
Master Member
 

Last Online: Aug 2nd, 2021 18:07
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Leicester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
You should just be able to change the wiring over with no need to use vida.

You need to make sure the socket is aligned properly to ensure easy engagement.

There is a little “gizmo” that also doubles as a cover for the plug when it is not plug into the car to do this.
Is there a feed on the car for the fridge supply and charge of leisure battery?
__________________
2008 XC70 2.4D SE
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:50   #9
Whyman
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:38
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Newark
Default

There should be as the Volvo system just plugs in.

Look at Volvo accessories for your car and read the fitting instructions for the towbar fitting which will include the wiring.
__________________
XC60 2013 D5 215 SE Lux Nav geartronic
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 09:35   #10
Gazdkw
Master Member
 

Last Online: Aug 2nd, 2021 18:07
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Leicester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
There should be as the Volvo system just plugs in.

Look at Volvo accessories for your car and read the fitting instructions for the towbar fitting which will include the wiring.
Just plugs in? If I buy a 13pin socket it's not going to have a socket on the end of it? Where would I get that from?
__________________
2008 XC70 2.4D SE
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.