Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering Problems

Views : 16631

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2017, 14:36   #1
Gazzza

Default Power steering Problems

Hi all
Well after I got my XC90 2003 back from the Garage after a service I was informed about the faulty Steering Rack ?

Say what ...Well after driving petrol cars all my life I just assumed that this BIG XC90 and DIESEL engine being heavy was the norm ....

Nope as the mechanic pointed out to me that it should be nice and light ..
But long story short few days ago went back in to sort out the main culprit and the worse case Scenario would be the Power steering rack at

£700 + ...Ahhh

Thud ...faint how much ...blimey ... but as soon as he gets 5 minutes he would have a little look at steering and rack and pump

NOW BE WARNED THERE IS POSSIBLE 2 TYPES OF PUMPS AND RACKS

So find out what you have ..

Any way about 2hrs after dropping off the beast I got a phone call and good news its not the rack or Pump ..

its the...Get ready ...

Power Steering Rack Speed Sensitive unit ...say what
yep mine is fitted or has the Power Steering Rack Speed Sensitive..HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT

simple lift bonnet and look for this

NOTE NOT THE PLUG below red circle and little bit of wire ...this is brake ABS plug

If you see this plug then this is where the Solenoid plugs into off the rack as in below picture

Ok so now you know what rack you have

So to test out the wiring etc. if you not into electrics then LEAVE WELL ALONE
but open drivers door remove drivers fuse box lid look ...check Fuse 16 this is to the servotronic RELAY and maybe others so where how do we test this theory
Well My Mechanic disconnected the plug labeled No2 and I'm Guessing applied 12v ( sorry was not watching ) and he said try the steering now ...

Holly C**P ...mega Light

and I mean light so Now waiting for a relay to turn up and replace it but if your having same problems then heres an idea to do and test
The Servotronic relay is located under a panel of drivers footwell so remove the two torx screws and look under neath and you will see this

NOTE NUMBER 30658312
I cannot stress this enough there is a few different ones out there with different numbers ..MORE PINS on the relay so make sure every number match's

and now some info for the likes of me you GEEKS out there is a flow chart of the POWER STEERING......

ENJOY

Last edited by Gazzza; Mar 27th, 2017 at 16:29.
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gazzza For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 11:56   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Great write up.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 22:54   #3
Ade2015

Thanks for this!
We've been having intermittent heavy steering at low speed for some time and I was unsure if it was the rack, pump or the relay noted above.
Having tested it this afternoon by putting 12V onto the connector mentioned I'm now fairly certain it is the servotronic relay for the speed sensitive steering on our 2007 SE Sport. With the 12V applied the steering was properly light when stationary, as it should be.
I'll order a new relat and see how we go.
Ade2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 18:29   #4
Gazzza

GO FOR A 2ND HAND ONE
Off e-bay main dealer is £200

Mine was £30 off ebay I now have 12v at the plug and only 30 milliamps
Not enough to open the solenoid ...
Im Gutted mine is still at the Garage ..he cant find the problem so next is CEM out to be tested etc...
I said NO way ...see about swapping the rack to a normal power steering one I.E not speed sensitive ...i'm waiting for a reply as I type this ...2 days in garage ...this is gonna be expensive i know

So check out the wiring loom where it goes through Bulk head ...mine has let water through and MAY have caused the problem ...
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 23:05   #5
Ade2015

I would have gone second hand off the bay, but I can't find one with exactly the same part number as mine and want to make sure it matches properly.
£200 sounds a bit steep, but I'm getting used to that with the Volvo dealer parts!
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 09:32   #6
Gazzza

You could always troll the web to see who is BREAKING volvo's and see if they have one or local scrap yards etc..

OK update on mine is that the CEM is now looking like the main problem and water damage ...

I think the best way now is to forget the sensitive steering rack and go for normal rack for me ....

As we now know the pump and rack work fine with 12v put through the connector other wise its throw more money at the CEM and then possibly more wire problems later on in life....
So im looking at around £800 for the full work to be done as im told the sub frame has to be lowered or come out

oh well at least we tried... keep you all posted as I go now dont forget there is 2 types of connectors ...speed fit push in pipes or SCREW in pipes for the pump and rack
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 09:41   #7
Gazzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade2015 View Post
Thanks for this!
it is the servotronic relay for the speed sensitive steering on our 2007 SE Sport. With the 12V applied the steering was properly light when stationary, as it should be.
I'll order a new relay and see how we go.
Ok first off I opened up my old one ....its NOT A RELAY but its in a relay case ...there is a small electronic circuit board in side filled with small electronic stuff ...
Now i'm guessing it gets it signal from the wheel speed or gearbox and then tells this servotronic the car is moving slow or fast as to open the solenoid on the rack so its either working or not ...hmm could well be same as mine and the CEM is iffy because its an electronic board and not a relay its hard to tell if its working or not but swapping it and see if it works 100% is a good one to try if its still the same then you be going my swop rack route as well ...

Good luck and keep us posted
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 09:44   #8
Gazzza

just to see if this helps as a normal search on ebay for volvo servotronic see if any match up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...ronic&_sacat=0

and I seen these ...blimey how many types are there

xxx312
xxx642
xxx218
xxx280
xxx633

Last edited by Gazzza; Apr 5th, 2017 at 09:47.
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 19:59   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default worth looking on here

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/independent...p2047675.l2563

worth a look if parts needed.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 21:21   #10
Ade2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
just to see if this helps as a normal search on ebay for volvo servotronic see if any match up
and I seen these ...blimey how many types are there
xxx312
xxx642
xxx218
xxx280
xxx633
Thanks for that - have tried ebay a few times and not found anything to match.
Mine is part No. 30635823

Might try giving the breakers a ring.

Good luck sorting yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ade2015 For This Useful Post: