Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car doesn't respond to remote unlocking/locking

Views : 967

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 08:49   #1
languageservicesco

Default Car doesn't respond to remote unlocking/locking

Hi,
I know there are quite a lot of threads on this subject, but they are all quite old, so I thought I would see if knowledge has moved on!

All of a sudden, my key fob won't unlock or lock the car (2012 XC90 Executive). The battery is fine and I have put in a new one anyway just in case. If I press the yellow button that puts on the lights, they come on ok. Otherwise, nothing else works. If I open the door with the key manually, the alarm operates and comes on again if I start the engine. The driver door button for the central locking doesn't work.

This is at home where the fob has worked fine for over a year. The car battery is clearly fine as it starts perfectly. Can I disable the alarm or at least the horn so I can troubleshoot without the alarm going off every time?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 09:18   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Hi Kevin.

You said the drivers door button for central locking doesn't work, what about the passenger side button?

Does the central locking work when you unlock your car with the key?

What about the other electrics on the drivers door, are the mirror, indicator and window working?

Does the car know if the drivers door is open (warning message in the display when the engine is on)?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:24   #3
languageservicesco

Thanks for the answer. Quick answer is that I don't know yet and I am going to be public enemy number 1 around here if I try to do all that with the alarm going off. Is there any way of silencing the horn? A fuse perhaps?
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:27   #4
languageservicesco

Actually, I lied a bit. I do know that the central locking does not work when I open the door manually.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:29   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Re siren - not sure on a XC90, on the V70 there's a fuse for the alarm siren. Worth a look on the XC90 it's fairly similar electrically.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:29   #6
John Brennand
Master Member

Does it only happen at home. That is if you use the key and drive it away - does the fob start working at a new location?

Mine did that a year or two ago - my neighbour had the same issue on her beemer, it was just on our street. It all went back to normal after 2-3 days.

We just put it down to interference on the fob frequencies from radio, microwaves, or whatever devices - that went as quickly as it came
John Brennand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:33   #7
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

With the central locking not working from the driver's door key, I'm thinking maybe a problem with the Driver's Door Module. This was why I asked about the other functions from the door, ie does the car know door is open etc

If this is the problem it can be broken wires where they come through from the door to the car body, all that opening and shutting!
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:35   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Remote Central Locking will not lock anything if any door is not reported as being closed.

Check your dash display: does it show all doors and trunk are closed?
Check with VIDA, does it also report all as closed?
Check the central locking from the buttons inside the car: do all doors lock and unlock properly?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:41   #9
owenfackrell
Premier Member

There is a fuse for the alarm but it also effect other things in the car.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 13:59   #10
languageservicesco

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I will find that fuse and yank it out. Doesn't matter if it affects other items as it won't be going anywhere. I can't drive it as the alarm goes off with the engine running.

My neighbour (Owen Fackrell on this thread) has VIDA, so we will have a look later.

>Remote Central Locking will not lock anything if any door is not reported as being closed.
It doesn't unlock either though.

>Check the central locking from the buttons inside the car: do all doors lock and unlock properly?
Driver's door button does not operate anything.

Bear in mind that the vehicle was locked and alarmed before this started, so it shouldn't have been anything to do with doors being (reported) open. Also, the key does operate the lights (the yellow button), so I guess that means it is recognised as a paired key and that it isn't the key battery. Once the fuse is out, I will have a look and check the other points and report back.
The Following User Says Thank You to languageservicesco For This Useful Post: