Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TF-89S ATF advice please?

Views : 1036

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 14:43   #1
Paddythemac

Default TF-89S ATF advice please?

Hi everyone,
first post after buying a 2008 XC90 with 234,000km (146k miles). It's generally in good condition, seems well kept and there's some history (not bad for over here in France!). Nothing about atf change (box is I think the TF80SC), so I'm going to err on the side of caution & do that next as a series of fill/drain changes.

I know I need about 12l of JWS 3309 spec ATF, but I've found 2 different types by Mannol over here both to that spec, both are similarly and reasonably priced. Just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the 2 & which I should use? Both are similarly and reasonably priced.

MANNOL mn8218-4me (Aisin JWS 3309/Volvo 97340/97341)
MANNOL mn8210-4me (AISIN WARNER JWS 3309)
Paddythemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 15:06   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Hard to tell without cross referencing the datasheets for both.
Mannol no longer seem to show the mn8210-4me on their website.

I've used the mn8218-4me several times on cars which need JWS3309 and it is very good and it is listed as current on the Mannol website so I would use that.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 16:24   #3
Paddythemac

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds like the way to go. Maybe it's the newer version of the atf, who knows..

By coincidence, I'm glad you posted, as I'm also going to be in the market for a VIDA/DICE system and I've read your thread, you seem to be the man to deal with. So a quick question on that subject also (if you want me to continue on that thread I will repost on there).

I have a MacBook I could maybe use to run the software, what's the spec I need to do it that way? Cost depending I could run to the VIDA/ configured laptop option if that's the better or the only way. Delivery may be an issue given that I'm in France (I'm originally from up North, so would have been able to pick it up!), but I'm sure we could get that sorted if need be.

Thanks in anticipation
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 18:11   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddythemac View Post
Maybe it's the newer version of the atf, who knows.
Yes, I'm guessing it's a superceding thing.
Both are available though but I can definitely vouch for the 8218.
This is the last one I used and the one featured in my YouTube video.

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 18:13   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddythemac View Post
I have a MacBook I could maybe use to run the software, what's the spec I need to do it that way?
It depends on how old your Macbook is and the IOS version but I've had buyers using anything from 2011 Macbook Airs to 2018 Macbook Pros so it seems that they are all fitted with a suitable Intel CPU enabled for Virtualization.
The only IOS which is unsuitable is the latest, Big Sur as that doesn't like Virtualbox and the vdi virtual machine files which I include for free.
I send the Dice all around the world so delivery to France isn't a problem and the total for a Dice would be £149 GBP. The software files are delivered via download so can be all set up in time for when the Dice arrives.

If you're happy to go ahead just post a comment on the main sales thread here and we can sort it out.
I have a brand new Dice tested and ready to send out.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 10:19   #6
Paddythemac

Just realised that I've invented a new gearbox designation in the post title TS-89SC???

Thanks again for your time & advice, I'll get that ATF ordered - btw, if you the link to your YouTube video, I'll take a look at that too. I'll head over to your sales thread to continue the discussion on the DICE.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 15:03   #7
Paddythemac

Just had a conversation with a mate about doing the change, he says he's surprised the there's no mention of a filter. Is there one and if so do we replace it?
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 17:31   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

It's not a serviceable item as the box would need splitting to access it. Major job.

Luckily there are plenty of high mileage well maintained examples which show that it's not something to worry about with routine fluid refreshes.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 19:42   #9
Paddythemac

Once again thanks for the advice. Must say that it seems a bit surprising not to have a serviceable filter, but as you say, these boxes can last a long time if looked after properly (hopefully that applies to mine!). I'll let you know how I get on with the change, atf & parts ordered, DICE on the way, all good!

Full disclosure: I have to be honest and say that I'd never looked twice at any Volvo before (for old men & antique dealers?), but I looked at the XC90 as we need a refined, 7 seater 4x4 (for family visits & airport runs) and the market is pretty small for that unless the 3rd row passengers are only two foot six, but I'm really glad I bought it, it's a great car - a proper tank, but great nonetheless!
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 20:02   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

A lot of people don't have a Volvo on their radar then they own one and wonder why they didn't do it sooner.