Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why didn't you tell me automatics are so good!

Views : 6399

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 16:21   #1
bobmoss

Default Why didn't you tell me automatics are so good!

I went to test drive an XC60 at the weekend with a view to buying it. My main concern was that I'd never really driven an automatic before (I did once in the 1990's!) and always avoided them.

What a revelation! Automatics are great! Why did no-one tell me this before? Why would anyone ever want to mess around moving a metal stick around a box of gears ever again!

So looking forward to picking up my car in a few weeks and never having to use a clutch again!
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 16:56   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmoss View Post
Why would anyone ever want to mess around moving a metal stick around a box of gears ever again!
Because that's what some people like.

Automatics aren't great across the board but some as you've now found are really quite pleasant to use and exactly the same can be said for manual gearboxes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 17:22   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmoss View Post
I went to test drive an XC60 at the weekend with a view to buying it. My main concern was that I'd never really driven an automatic before (I did once in the 1990's!) and always avoided them.

What a revelation! Automatics are great! Why did no-one tell me this before? Why would anyone ever want to mess around moving a metal stick around a box of gears ever again!

So looking forward to picking up my car in a few weeks and never having to use a clutch again!
Some people like a car that they can "properly drive". In an automatic, you can't control the gear as such because it chooses it for you. You can select the gears yourself if there's a tiptronic option, but its not the same as a manual.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 17:30   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Agree OP. Stick-waggling is all a bit primitive - and irrelevant in most cars tbh.

Even in F1, when a Williams test car started lapping way quicker with a CVT 'box than with a manual, the FIA were quick to ban fully automatic changers.

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-t...3-video/34642/
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 17:40   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Having had automatics, I prefer to wiggle a stick.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:10   #6
EssexExile
Master Member

I've been driving automatics since my first rented car in the States back in 1978. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner how good they are!
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:29   #7
Polestar Pete
Polestar

There's pros and cons about manual and automatic transmissions. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives.

One downside of course that an automatic gearbox can't think ahead, so won't downshift quickly enough when you're turning or navigating a roundabout - it'll only downshift when the engine speed isn't high enough to cope with the lowered road speed.

It is possible to counter this with the use of flappy paddles (where fitted), but many drivers simply won't bother and will be happy to dawdle their way of out roundabouts until the transmission wakes up enough to catch up with what's going on.

Sport mode can also prevent this to a certain extent, but at the expense of keeping the engine speed artificially high to give you the best torque at all times.

Manual gearboxes of course gives you the choice between torque and comfort.

I last owned a manual car about 15 years ago, but I do wear corduroys and slippers....

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:39   #8
Thekilt

If all you are doing is standard driving (not racing etc) then there is no need for manuals. Very outdated but only recently have autos become decent with paddles etc. If you are buying older cars generally it’s better with a manual due to reliability.
I’ve had older Volvo autos (AW55 etc) which suck and if they go wrong which most of the time they do it costs a fortune. Then onto our Jag with the ZX gearbox which BMW use too which I have to say is excellent. The wife was always against autos until I got her to drive the Jag. Now she doesn’t want to go back.
Now with electric it’s either 1 gear, or a few with 2 gears is even better. No concern regarding “down shifts” etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:46   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The trouble is that manuals were 5 speed for decades. Autos were three or three plus overdrive. Accordingly autos were slower, more costly and they were so expensive and frequently went wrong whereas a manual only really had a £200 clutch to fail.

Roll on 30 years and manuals are still 5 speed or maybe 6 which is frankly quite a pain. Autos however are generally 8 or 9 speed now and they are therefore faster, more fuel efficient and are now very reliable whereas the manuals now have £2,000 duel mass flywheels.

There are 2 reasons to buy a manual now a days. Firstly you have a sports orientated car (the auto version is likely faster).

Or secondly you are just a Moron.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:57   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

Two things that people who don’t like automatics say….

1) You don’t have the same control as you do with a manual. You have way more control with an auto, no chance of your foot slipping off the clutch, no stalling, etc.

2) I’ll forget how to drive a manual car….. Really? It’s like riding a bike, you soo pick it back up again.

When a clutch goes in a modern manual box they’re expensive to replace. My V50 was a shade under £900. I believe an XC is in and around £1500 to replace. It makes taking a chance with an auto less worrying. I love my Auto even though the TF80 is a bit rough and ready. I have to say, I love Auto’s even though I was a latecomer

TT