Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smith and Allan lubricants

Views : 3092

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 19:49   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
While I agree with what's been said here, to my mind the biggest scandal is that these auto boxes get into this state in the first place, due to poor advise from the manufacturer.
At least the auto box has some sort of service schedule, poor as it may be. Try owning a manual and getting volvo to tell you the gearbox change intervals.

All these are fluids volvo make little to no mention of needing changing. Volvo evidently do not expect us to keep our cars past 3 or 4 years of age where of course everything is rosey.

Paul.
The car i learned to drive in Paul was a 1981 registered car. The owners handbook specified the service intervals and for both manual and auto boxes, 24k miles or 2 years, whichever is the sooner. If memory serves, the diff oil was also specified at 48k or 4 years.

Checking the service check sheets for my other beast, (once i figured it out) it specifies new gearbox oil in the manual models every 36k and new ATF every 24k in autos - the diffs are integral with the boxes so no separate instruction.
It also goes into things like antifreeze (every 24k/2 years, it's EG same as the 7/9xx range), timing belt at 96k and so on.

Many of these things don't seem to be listed by Volvo for any models and certainly not past 3 or 4 years as you point out. For a manufacturer that sells on longevity, it's a bit of an own goal!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 08:06   #32
madspark01

done the first round of dump and fill changes yesterday I was surprised that only 2.3L came out as when watching all the YouTube videos over 3L came out of them
I only did 4 drain and fill changes for this round and will do an other 4 in about 4 weeks. I overfilled by about 400ml on the last one and when I done the setting of the level only 300ml came out so seemed to be right.
The gearbox does feel more positive after a short run so should be better after the next set of drain and fills.
The stuff that came out was BLACK but no horrible burnt or pungent smells so also happy about that
cheers for the help and advice guys
madspark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 09:56   #33
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspark01 View Post
done the first round of dump and fill changes yesterday I was surprised that only 2.3L came out as when watching all the YouTube videos over 3L came out of them
I only did 4 drain and fill changes for this round and will do an other 4 in about 4 weeks. I overfilled by about 400ml on the last one and when I done the setting of the level only 300ml came out so seemed to be right.
The gearbox does feel more positive after a short run so should be better after the next set of drain and fills.
The stuff that came out was BLACK but no horrible burnt or pungent smells so also happy about that
That’s great stuff, I had 2.7l come out of mine each time.

Next time you do it, try driving for a few miles between each change.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:11   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madspark01 View Post
What do you mean, " the first round" and "only did 4 drain and fill changes"????

NOT how you do it!

You drain the box via the drain plug in the sump or using a 12V oil extraction pump down the dipstick tube.

Refit sump plug/remove drain pump as appropriate once drained. Refill with correct quantity of fluid, use it for ~month then repeat.

You've gained nothing but wasted ~7-9L of ATF doing it the way you've done it and potentially harmed your gearbox with too much fresh fluid in one go.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:18   #35
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What do you mean, " the first round" and "only did 4 drain and fill changes"????

NOT how you do it!

You drain the box via the drain plug in the sump or using a 12V oil extraction pump down the dipstick tube.

Refit sump plug/remove drain pump as appropriate once drained. Refill with correct quantity of fluid, use it for ~month then repeat.

You've gained nothing but wasted ~7-9L of ATF doing it the way you've done it and potentially harmed your gearbox with too much fresh fluid in one go.
Harsh, much.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:24   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Harsh, much.
Maybe but i have typed this out countless times on the forum in various locations, emphasising the need to be GENTLE about the introduction of new fluid and why.
Starting on post #9 i explained the procedure, i then backed it up in subsequent posts as to why and how and the instructions are simple.

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:39   #37
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Maybe but i have typed this out countless times on the forum in various locations, emphasising the need to be GENTLE about the introduction of new fluid and why.
Starting on post #9 i explained the procedure, i then backed it up in subsequent posts as to why and how and the instructions are simple.
Other views are available though, to which I personally subscribe (as does my Indy - one of the best known, and who understands these 'boxes better than most), and which I follow with my own vehicles.

We just put it out there, and OP/others make a choice
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:13   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Other views are available though, to which I personally subscribe (as does my Indy - one of the best known, and who understands these 'boxes better than most), and which I follow with my own vehicles.

We just put it out there, and OP/others make a choice
True enough and if a vehicle is regularly maintained, even at 100k miles you should be ok with a flushing change. However if maintenance has been skipped on the gearbox or is an unknown quantity, it is always best to proceed with caution.

Once things become a known quantity then proceed as you see fit, before that exercise caution as there is less risk of a big bill for a replacement box that way.

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 18:47   #39
madspark01

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
That’s great stuff, I had 2.7l come out of mine each time.

Next time you do it, try driving for a few miles between each change.

cheers will do
The Following User Says Thank You to madspark01 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 18:50   #40
madspark01

Quote:

NOT how you do it!

car does not have a dipstick on the gearbox the level is set by getting fluid up to between 50 and 60 degrees then removing the t40 bolt from the middle of the drain plug which has a tube about 80mm to set the level ( must be done when engine is running
The Following User Says Thank You to madspark01 For This Useful Post: