Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are xc90 brakes generally poor.

Views : 4782

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 11:33   #31
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I've now read the comments about, it has made me realise why I don't frequent this forum very often anymore. Disappointing comments for some of the more recent additions to the forum. I remember this forum when the simplest of questions could be asked and reasonable answers were provided and opinions provided, not forced onto people.

As per my post above, happy to help / provide advice via pm @ Itec

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 12:05   #32
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

My hunch is that this has more to do with feel than actual stopping power, and that is likely to be related to the design of the hydraulic setup (especially as others have commented on other vehicles they drive having "sharper" brakes), pad glazing, or possibly the pad compound (which is a legitimate reason to go genuine or at least high quality aftermarket - pad compounds differ, and that will affect feel). For that reason I will sometimes fit genuine pads with quality aftermarket discs.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 13:53   #33
V8XCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
Hi all, I'm a new xc90 owner. Or new to me anyway. 2009 automatic.
When braking her the brakes seem poor, or compared to a car anyway. Takes a fair bit of pressure before she starts to slow down.
Is this normal coz she's so heavy or should I be looking into it. She's not long serviced and brakes all look fresh.
I would agree, the mk1 XC90 brakes do feel quite poor compared to say a newer VW. When I sold the XC90 and got the Tiguan, I nearly put myself through the windscreen by pressing with the normal amount of force and had to quickly adjust to much sharper brakes.

It's worth doing a brake test, find a clear bit of road, take her up to speed then full emergency brake and see if you can get the ABS to come on. If not, then it would suggest the brakes are not working correctly in my opinion. A proper MOT brake test will tell you how good they actually are.

I changed all the rubber hoses on the V70 recently and along with new pads and discs and fluid it did improve the brake 'feel' making it seem to bite a bit earlier. I happened to use volvo parts as FRF Swansea had a good deal on at the time. Fit some endless pads and you won't have any issues

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 17:48   #34
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

One man's "poor" might be another man's "smooth", though. I'd say that's a matter of taste. An overly sharp pedal is akin to an electronic throttle mapped to give 90% of throttle opening in the first 50% of travel.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 17:55   #35
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I work on my XC90 myself and have fitted genuine Volvo discs and pads and fluid all round in mid 2018. I have just changed the front pads again.

XC90 brakes are comically large and when running correctly they are massively powerful with a great feel!

You have a problem as does anyone who does not ring them outstanding.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 19:53   #36
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
If it needs discs and pads front and back and shoes due to not being genuine and throwing away good ones just because they are not genuine hoping it'll improve brakes it'll be a lot more than £20. I think you better add another 0 to that.
I've never heard of an accident due to non genuine pads not braking enough.
You think to listen to you that non genuine pads was some homemade lump of steel. Its like saying you can only fit the same brand tyre volvo put on her new.
It became a lot more than pads when someone said the xc90 wouldn't cope with non genuine parts.
Its ferodo i normally fit if needed. They are probably used as genuine brake pads in more car manufacturers than the volvo ones. No reason xc90s shouldn't get perfect brakes from pads like these. I've fitted hundreds and never had a customer complain of brake performance.
If everything is free and working as should but still poor performance and your trying to buy genuine pads to get a bit more then its a bad design, not a fault of the pads.
I disagree completely. The brakes are just fine if genuine items are used. When I bought mine, it had aftermarket parts and the brakes were noisy and inefficient. I replace with genuine and no problems ever again. You are just plain wrong.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:08   #37
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
I disagree completely. The brakes are just fine if genuine items are used. When I bought mine, it had aftermarket parts and the brakes were noisy and inefficient. I replace with genuine and no problems ever again. You are just plain wrong.
Which part of that long story is wrong in you opinion?
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:45   #38
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
When I bought mine, it had aftermarket parts and the brakes were noisy and inefficient.
In fairness to the OP, there's a danger of false logic here. The pads might have been horribly glazed, for example. I have a very strong suspicion that you could have fitted components from (for example) Ferodo or Brembo and all would have been fine, too.

Nothing wrong with using OEM parts (and I often do), but "genuine or nothing" is taking a narrow view of the situation, in my humble opinion.

Ironically, one of my Volvos is running special Ferodo pads because the OEM pads overheat in no time when one is 'proceeding with vigour', but that's a whole other story, and not exactly relevant to XC90s...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 23:05   #39
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
In fairness to the OP, there's a danger of false logic here. The pads might have been horribly glazed, for example. I have a very strong suspicion that you could have fitted components from (for example) Ferodo or Brembo and all would have been fine, too.

Nothing wrong with using OEM parts (and I often do), but "genuine or nothing" is taking a narrow view of the situation, in my humble opinion.

Ironically, one of my Volvos is running special Ferodo pads because the OEM pads overheat in no time when one is 'proceeding with vigour', but that's a whole other story, and not exactly relevant to XC90s...

cheers

James
Thank you for saying what I wanted to say to him but i can't be bothered arguing anymore.
Your opinion is exactly the same as mine.
I think it should be left here, their is obviously different opinions.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltec For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 13:02   #40
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
Which part of that long story is wrong in you opinion?
The original premise: Are XC90 brakes generally poor?

...and thank you for not arguing any more.