Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are xc90 brakes generally poor.

Views : 4821

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2021, 17:39   #11
JohnL

As Swiss has said its a heavy car, and I can confirm also that the genuine parts are essential to make sure its up to Volvo standard. Non genuine parts are always cheaper and just not too the same specification. Fact with these SUV's, I have over 400,000kms on mine.

This also applies to the handbrake shoes, the non genuine ones just dont work!

The only thing I have come across on occasion having driven a long way in a lot of wet weather without using the brakes, but on first action of the brakes needs quite a bit of travel of the pedal, and seems the brakes need drying out, but does stop, but is fine in fine weather.

And I do have a 2ton 4 wheel trailer that I also use quite a bit. Quite happy with it.
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 18:12   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I have a 2012 XC90. I fitted new discs and pads all round with new fluid in 2018 and now fitted new new front discs and pads. Stops on a six pence and huge power.

There is something wrong.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 18:42   #13
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
There's a big difference between "working" and "working well". Fit an XC90 with some Apec or National crap and it still start and stop and pass an MOT.

You get what you pay for - fit a £120 set of discs and pads and you will get broadly half the quality you get from a £250 set of genuine Volvo ones. If you keep the car a long time (and most XC90 owners do) you will get to know that genuine "consumable" parts significantly outlast and/or perform better most pattern parts - from wiper blades to wheel bearings, bulbs to brakes.

The joke is people with champagne premium car aspirations but on a Tesco Value Cola budget. These are not cheap cars to buy, maintain and run. That's a plan that usually doesn't end well, there are other cars better suited to that style of ownership.

The parking brake is the same design used on all Volvo models from the 850 in 1992 until the Ford based platforms that started in 2007. The problem with it is lack of use on cars with automatic transmissions, and that's 96% of XC90's.
No the joke is that a vehicle has to have genuine pads.
There is plenty of quality none genuine brakes and if the car is unable to have good brakes with these then the brakes are a poor design.
Not everything needs to be genuine. Some people are anal about genuine parts. But you actually find the same brand of part for half the price coz no dealer stamp on it even though its the same parts.
Sometimes genuine is needed like toyota ball joints etc
I've fitted non genuine pads in shogun, landcruisers etc and no problems and other far more expensive cars than xc90s so that's a stupid remark about value coke.
Plenty of other automatic cars with shoes inside the disc that dont have the same handbrake problems as xc90 so its a volvo problem. If they've had that design for so long its very poor they didn't fix it.
For mot xc90s is the most known car to fail on handbrake.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 18:43   #14
ltec

If I find a problem ill come back and let yous know.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 18:57   #15
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
No the joke is that a vehicle has to have genuine pads.
There is plenty of quality none genuine brakes and if the car is unable to have good brakes with these then the brakes are a poor design.
Not everything needs to be genuine. Some people are anal about genuine parts. But you actually find the same brand of part for half the price coz no dealer stamp on it even though its the same parts.
Sometimes genuine is needed like toyota ball joints etc
I've fitted non genuine pads in shogun, landcruisers etc and no problems and other far more expensive cars than xc90s so that's a stupid remark about value coke.
Plenty of other automatic cars with shoes inside the disc that dont have the same handbrake problems as xc90 so its a volvo problem. If they've had that design for so long its very poor they didn't fix it.
For mot xc90s is the most known car to fail on handbrake.
I have just changed my pads after almost 50,000 miles. I paid about £55.00 with discount direct from volvo.

Who cheaps put on these parts? I have used quality pattern parts for years and whilst some may or may not be good they simply never let as long as genuine.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 19:02   #16
ltec

What is discount direct from volvo. Can anyone get this.
Depends what parts your talking about.. For example gates timing belt are perfect for any car and buying a more expensive genuine will serve no purpose other than wasting money. Might even be the same belt.

Last edited by ltec; Jun 4th, 2021 at 19:12.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 19:42   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
What is discount direct from volvo. Can anyone get this.
Depends what parts your talking about.. For example gates timing belt are perfect for any car and buying a more expensive genuine will serve no purpose other than wasting money. Might even be the same belt.
Eastbourne Volvo give good discounts. They have a great eBay shop I use on a regular basis. However I have also found that if you just phone your local dealer and say you are looking for a discount you always get it (I have never not over 4 years and 50,000 miles). Just say something along the lines of ‘my car is over 3 years old and I would get pattern parts but can you help and they always do. Discounts are always pretty large.

I understand what is said about gates cambelts etc however I generally find that Volvo are not much more costly than quality pattern parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 20:34   #18
Moose Test
Master Member

We're debating the merit of a saving of ~£20 a year on brake pads, arguably one of the most safety critical components on the vehicle after its tyres, and maybe seatbelts.

Seriously?
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:16   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
We're debating the merit of a saving of ~£20 a year on brake pads, arguably one of the most safety critical components on the vehicle after its tyres, and maybe seatbelts.

Seriously?
Exactly. And the Volvo items are absolutely first class.

The Volvo headed invoice for canyons parts will probably achieve more than a £20 uplift in sale price when you change o your vehicle.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 21:36   #20
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post

Seriously?
If it needs discs and pads front and back and shoes due to not being genuine and throwing away good ones just because they are not genuine hoping it'll improve brakes it'll be a lot more than £20. I think you better add another 0 to that.
I've never heard of an accident due to non genuine pads not braking enough.
You think to listen to you that non genuine pads was some homemade lump of steel. Its like saying you can only fit the same brand tyre volvo put on her new.
It became a lot more than pads when someone said the xc90 wouldn't cope with non genuine parts.
Its ferodo i normally fit if needed. They are probably used as genuine brake pads in more car manufacturers than the volvo ones. No reason xc90s shouldn't get perfect brakes from pads like these. I've fitted hundreds and never had a customer complain of brake performance.
If everything is free and working as should but still poor performance and your trying to buy genuine pads to get a bit more then its a bad design, not a fault of the pads.

Last edited by ltec; Jun 4th, 2021 at 22:54.