Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Grand Tour - a Scandi flick

Views : 2668

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2022, 23:24   #1
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Default The Grand Tour - a Scandi flick

I see they had a 345 on the latest Amazon Prime offering with Jeremy Clarkson & co.
At least they didn't crash it!
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 21:44   #2
Volvocano

Unlike the poor Evo.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvocano For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 06:31   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
I see they had a 345 on the latest Amazon Prime offering with Jeremy Clarkson & co.
At least they didn't crash it!
He has destroyed them in the past, one he crashed in to a tree.

He was wrong anyway as it was a mk3 it was a 340 not a 345 and I don't understand his saying that it is the worst car western Europe has ever made as they sold over a million of them and they still have a growing following to this day as they're a great little car, I've only had 360's myself but I've been passenger in a few 340's and I can't fault them other than being a bit slow.

I sincerely hope they fix that Evo as a great car like that doesn't deserve to die due to James May's incompetence!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 07:23   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I had a bad one like James did in the past where I got T boned, left me with a clicking neck and lack of lower back strength for a long time, side impacts are overlooked imo as you get more directions of travel than simply a frontal or a rear ender. I butted the rear view mirror off the screen hit the driver side front window and had a friction burn mark on my shoulder through the t-shirt I was wearing at the time, I estimated that the van was doing 50-60 when it hit me as the driver was drunk and my car did a 450 degree spin before coming to a stop in the railings.

Doc sorted me some really good pain killers a few days after as it really was bad to try and turn or walk.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 13:23   #5
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
He has destroyed them in the past, one he crashed in to a tree.

He was wrong anyway as it was a mk3 it was a 340 not a 345 and I don't understand his saying that it is the worst car western Europe has ever made as they sold over a million of them and they still have a growing following to this day as they're a great little car, I've only had 360's myself but I've been passenger in a few 340's and I can't fault them other than being a bit slow.

I sincerely hope they fix that Evo as a great car like that doesn't deserve to die due to James May's incompetence!
I presently have both a 1988 360 GLE (carb) and a 1990 340 1.4. The 340 has been off the road a few years needing a fair bit of welding, but when I was using it I always found it kept up with more modern traffic fine, the little 1.4 was also fairly quiet.

My 360, on the other hand, which again hasn't been used much until the past fortnight, has surprised me yet again with how much of a cruiser it is, stick it in 5th and it just pootles along. Also feels fairly quick for what it is, too being non-fuel injected.

One thing I love about the 300 series is how comfortable the seats are and just how nice the interior seems - the square dash just works, as well as the gear change. They were probably just popular cars to sneer at it the late nineties/early 00s when they were generally viewed as cheap and disposable, but in no way were they bad cars. As you say, I cant really fault them either.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 20:40   #6
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

I did chuckle when Hammond made some wry comment after James had been taken to hospital about making sure that the car would be ok.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:48   #7
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I finally made it to the end and it left me with the same feeling the last 3 have...time to give it up, it's so staged it's corny to the point of cringe.

They've borrowed the old smash the caravan to bits gag again, James May would've been off the back of that car sinking in ice if he didn't already know the water was 2 feet deep and the crew had already prepped it for him to drive into, as for his smash although the incar footage seems genuine unless they split the filming months apart there's no way he'd be mobile enough to finish the show as he did, when it happened to me I could only crawl in and out of a car for three weeks.

I like JC's farming show, JM's around the world ones are pretty good and RH I believe has a show coming out soon, he did one about scientific s some years ago and that was alright as well, they're just too old to be doing the car thing and if they continue they'll be back at the BBC with a show called Last of the Summer Whine or similar.

JC sadly is looking like a walking heart attack, I've always liked him but that gut on him now and the way the rest of him is falling apart says he won't make old bones.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 08:12   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OCavh9Eywxg
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: