Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Humming noise from front right?

Views : 3615

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2021, 16:30   #11
jodiexii

Jack front of car up and sit on axle stands,then get someone to drive car till noise is heard .
Note Speedo won't work so gentle on throttle.
This worked for diagnosing my front wheel bearing
jodiexii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 16:31   #12
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Yes, SKF bearings are very good.

Will you be tackling the bearing yourself?
Yeah I plan to. Doesn't look overly difficult, just awkward with seized/rusted bolts etc, and I need to do front discs anyway so will just get it all done in one hit.
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bomster For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:35   #13
XC70Virgin

Yes, I did mine at home. SKF bearing and I'm pretty sure it was oem. Only awkward bit is a bit of bashing required to split the steering knuckle from the strut. It's just tight and stuck from age. You'll need someone to press in the new bearing into the knuckle, so best having that lined up. If you're doing disks you're half way there anyway.
Old May 27th, 2021, 09:48   #14
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC70Virgin View Post
Yes, I did mine at home. SKF bearing and I'm pretty sure it was oem. Only awkward bit is a bit of bashing required to split the steering knuckle from the strut. It's just tight and stuck from age. You'll need someone to press in the new bearing into the knuckle, so best having that lined up. If you're doing disks you're half way there anyway.
Will I need a press? I'm still yet to properly look into how to do the job, but from the quick look I've had I wasn't expecting that. I will be buying a full assembly, that already has the bearing seated within it (as pictured below). I do have access to a press if needs be, just wasn't expecting that.

Edit:

Okay just looked into it, I'd been watching YouTube videos of the bolt in style assembly but I see this one has to be pressed in like you say.

Last edited by Bomster; May 27th, 2021 at 10:23.
Old May 27th, 2021, 11:01   #15
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Pressing the bearing in.

Referring back to my post #6.
Whilst contemplating the replacement of a front wheel bearing I did some research and decided that it was beyond my capabilities due the bearing having to be pressed in. During this research I witnessed a local indi. pressing (hammering ) a bearing into a carrier held in a vice. Not for a Volvo. I definitely did not want ours fitted in such a way. Having also learned that the force of the press needs to be exerted against the outer shell of the bearing and NOT on the bearing itself. (A common error as I am led to believe) I also learned that serious force is required and some presses simply are not up to it. We entrusted the replacement to a local well trusted Volvo indi. who, following discussion of our concerns, guaranteed that they had previous experience and knew precisely what they were doing. That was some time ago and to date we have had no problems.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 07:00   #16
Bomster

Don't suppose anyone with VIDA would mind sending me the instructions for this job would they? Just so I know what all the torque settings are etc.

Would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:13   #17
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile support bearing?

Another thought might be the driveshaft support bearing, this is on the long driveshaft (drivers side) assuming you have a uk car, but could be a source of noise, not experienced personally but worth a thought.. often wondered if having some mic's installed near the suspect area would help identify the culprit when driving the car with conditions that cause it..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:17   #18
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile support bearing?

Another thought might be the driveshaft support bearing, this is on the long driveshaft (drivers side) assuming you have a uk car, but could be a source of noise, not experienced personally but worth a thought.. often wondered if having some mic's installed near the suspect area would help identify the culprit when driving the car with conditions that cause it..not sure what gearbox setup/car you have there so ignore if not applicable !
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 20:40   #19
Bomster

Good news, and bad news.

Ordered an SKF VBKA 6531 bearing, and got it installed at a local garage (decided it was too much of a faff to do myself considering I don't have a press tool).

Picked up the car yesterday, and the issue is sorted, car glides along nice and quietly as it did before.... however took it on a longer drive this morning and after a few miles I had an "ABS / DSTC service required" warning message

I know the hub/bearing assembly includes an ABS ring so I guess either the garage installed it incorrectly and damaged the ABS ring, or the part I ordered was defective (not sure how I'd prove it either way?)...

I'll ring the garage in the morning and see what they say, but what a pain in the a**e.... feel like it's been one thing after another with this car, and also reminds me why I try and do as much work I can myself... cheaper and the job gets done right.

I guess I'm going to end up having to fork out for a whole new hub (£80) and labour of basically getting the job done again elsewhere.

Last edited by Bomster; Jun 10th, 2021 at 20:48.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 16:21   #20
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Might just be that they dislodged the sensor while doing the job.