Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suspension refresh at 135k

Views : 1745

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2021, 15:56   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I think my comment would be to ensure you don’t pay a considerable amount of money for very very little return.

Where a shock has misting on it, which progresses to leaking and then poor rebound etc then yes, that’s going to make a huge difference, however where something is scabby, misting and looking generally a little worn the money spent on it will really yield little.

One piece of advice I would give however is not to overlook damaged components and the massive impact they can have. Bushes are a classic example! You may spend £500 on a pair of shocks, springs and an alignment and you will undoubtidly get some minor improvement, however if you have £60 worth of bushes that have delaminates that will transform your handling!

Also, having worked on cars and driven them hard and high mileages another point people always overlook is this, replacement parts are really not as good as original. Even OEM is not as good. For example if Volvo receive their clutches from Luk (mine is an auto so I don’t know who they get them from) then you may well get 120,000 from a ‘Volvo’ clutch. I bet you won’t from a ‘Luk’ clutch’s it’s the same manufacturer not same part. Same with batteries, mine is still original at 9 years and 110K. If I find the OEM I don’t expect the same. Hence I would not be removing genuine Volvo stuff to replace with OEM*.

*weather Volvo represents better value than OEM is a different question, Luk, Lemforder, Mann, Brembo are all items I would use but they are not the same quality. Imagine your Porsche 911 turbo with Brembo brakes. When you buy a generic set from Brembo for 1/3rd price they are not the same and won’t last as long.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 20:54   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I think my comment would be to ensure you don’t pay a considerable amount of money for very very little return.

Where a shock has misting on it, which progresses to leaking and then poor rebound etc then yes, that’s going to make a huge difference, however where something is scabby, misting and looking generally a little worn the money spent on it will really yield little.

One piece of advice I would give however is not to overlook damaged components and the massive impact they can have. Bushes are a classic example! You may spend £500 on a pair of shocks, springs and an alignment and you will undoubtidly get some minor improvement, however if you have £60 worth of bushes that have delaminates that will transform your handling!

Also, having worked on cars and driven them hard and high mileages another point people always overlook is this, replacement parts are really not as good as original. Even OEM is not as good. For example if Volvo receive their clutches from Luk (mine is an auto so I don’t know who they get them from) then you may well get 120,000 from a ‘Volvo’ clutch. I bet you won’t from a ‘Luk’ clutch’s it’s the same manufacturer not same part. Same with batteries, mine is still original at 9 years and 110K. If I find the OEM I don’t expect the same. Hence I would not be removing genuine Volvo stuff to replace with OEM*.

*weather Volvo represents better value than OEM is a different question, Luk, Lemforder, Mann, Brembo are all items I would use but they are not the same quality. Imagine your Porsche 911 turbo with Brembo brakes. When you buy a generic set from Brembo for 1/3rd price they are not the same and won’t last as long.
That's like tyres that are fitted to a new vehicle. A brand new set of Michelin's for example fitted to the vehicle at the factory last much longer than a new set you buy yourself.
Old May 5th, 2021, 20:54   #13
ilmiont
VOC Member

Bought the parts now so I'm committed. I'll let you know once they're all fitted whether it makes a worthwhile difference, or whether I've just spent hundreds without really needing to...

Sachs shocks + Meyle HD droplinks from PartsForVolvos. The rest of it will be Volvo bits which the garage will source (not going to be fitting myself).

One of the rear shocks had this line of wet on it straight out-of-the-box:

I wiped it off and it seemed to be colourless. The others don't have any of that, maybe just some very light moisture, are those photos cause for concern? Performance of the pair does seem to be the same.

---

I was curious to find the fronts are significantly softer to compress than the rear... that's interesting to me, I'd have thought the fronts would be stiffer as that's where most of the weight is? Would be interested to hear the theory to explain this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1469.JPG (244.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1468.JPG (314.2 KB, 83 views)
Old May 5th, 2021, 22:55   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

I would have thought they would have been bone dry. Is there any fluid inside the box they come in, indicating a leak?

I did notice when mine were delivered from Volvo, there was a strap holding the metal part that you’d do the compression test on, effectively holding the shock so no unnecessary strain was on it (holding it in the compressed position or fully down if doing it by hand). There were instructions that said that protective strap should be left in place & only removing it when fitting the shocks to the car. I guess this strap protects the struts from being fully extended unnecessarily. These were the first struts I’ve fitted that had protective straps on them. Maybe it was for transport purposes? Not that this makes much difference to you, but did yours have any straps on them?

A brand new shock shouldn’t be leaking any fluid. See does any fluid reappear now that you’ve wiped it down (it shouldn’t). Personally, I’d return it though.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 5th, 2021 at 23:23.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 23:49   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

just while you've got them off I don't suppose you can measure the length for me please? just in the fully extended position should be fine

would be handy to know when I look at alternatives as discussed before

cheers

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2021, 07:33   #16
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I would have thought they would have been bone dry. Is there any fluid inside the box they come in, indicating a leak?

I did notice when mine were delivered from Volvo, there was a strap holding the metal part that you’d do the compression test on, effectively holding the shock so no unnecessary strain was on it (holding it in the compressed position or fully down if doing it by hand). There were instructions that said that protective strap should be left in place & only removing it when fitting the shocks to the car. I guess this strap protects the struts from being fully extended unnecessarily. These were the first struts I’ve fitted that had protective straps on them. Maybe it was for transport purposes? Not that this makes much difference to you, but did yours have any straps on them?

A brand new shock shouldn’t be leaking any fluid. See does any fluid reappear now that you’ve wiped it down (it shouldn’t). Personally, I’d return it though.
The fronts do have straps fitted, yes. They’re held compressed but not quite fully compressed. I’m pretty sure it’s for transport and to save packaging costs, the box is big enough as it is.

The reason I asked about that fluid is I’m not sure whether it’s a leak or an excess of manufacturing grease / protective oil, etc. Would a shock have a protective coating of something? It was colourless, nothing more has come down since I wiped it off, just a little excess from under the hood (don’t know what it should be called) as shown in second photo - the other one also has that to a lesser degree.

Will speak to PFV to make sure.
Old May 6th, 2021, 14:00   #17
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
just while you've got them off I don't suppose you can measure the length for me please? just in the fully extended position should be fine

would be handy to know when I look at alternatives as discussed before

cheers
Fully extended, approx. lengths:

1. Front - 63.5cm
2. Rear - 52cm

Might be +/- a cm.

I compressed the rears a few more times earlier... the suspect one rebounded with a few new speckles, like in the second photo, so not too confident. I’ve emailed the photos to PFV, got a response early this morning indicating they’re happy to replace, so looks like it’s all going to be OK just taking a little longer.

Still curious why the fronts are much softer/easier to compress by hand than the rears, that defies my expectations really. Maybe front wheel drive/weight balance related? I don’t know, haven’t had time to research it yet, the fronts can be compressed , with the top nut on the floor, more quickly than they come up; the rears feel much much stiffer and are virtually impossible to move if you try and do it fast.
Old May 6th, 2021, 14:12   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Im no expert on this in any way but it seems to me the compression resistance isn't really the important factor, but the strength of the rebound (moving back up again) would be more relevant? in that the springs are absorbing the initial 'downwards movement' ?

or.. perhaps it's because the two things work together to make one complete part, so where it's likely the front springs are stronger than the rear (engine weight, weight shifting forward under braking and so on) maybe to balance that the shocks are adjusted accordingly?

whereas the rears take less of a beating from handling characteristics, but do need to be able to handle the potential weight in that cavernous rear end (so to speak)

that's just some waffle of the top of my head but there might be an element of truth in there somewhere lol

thanks for the measurements, much appreciated

good to know they're happy to replace

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 15:02   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
Fully extended, approx. lengths:

1. Front - 63.5cm
2. Rear - 52cm

Might be +/- a cm.

I compressed the rears a few more times earlier... the suspect one rebounded with a few new speckles, like in the second photo, so not too confident. I’ve emailed the photos to PFV, got a response early this morning indicating they’re happy to replace, so looks like it’s all going to be OK just taking a little longer.

Still curious why the fronts are much softer/easier to compress by hand than the rears, that defies my expectations really. Maybe front wheel drive/weight balance related? I don’t know, haven’t had time to research it yet, the fronts can be compressed , with the top nut on the floor, more quickly than they come up; the rears feel much much stiffer and are virtually impossible to move if you try and do it fast.
Good to hear that they’ll replace the dodgy one. It definitely sounds/looks like its leaking, so you’re well within you rights to return it.

I’m not sure why the rear shocks are more difficult to compress than the front ones. Maybe the fronts are designed for comfort & the rears are stiffer for handling/weight?
Old May 9th, 2021, 17:32   #20
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Could shipping by air cause a shock to leak?

My old rear shocks have red paint marks 33mm below the bottom edge of the plastic dust skirt. The shocks are fully extended awaiting recycling day.

I'm guessing the ride height was marked for some reason.

Anybody know?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote