Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel security key needed

Views : 1880

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2021, 14:28   #11
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Once off, throw them away and replace with a standard wheel bolt.

They are absolute junk as evidenced by the number of threads on here where people have been unable to remove them even with the key because the key bit is made of chocolate. Ask me how I know.
Seriously, I bought a complete new set of 20 nuts the day after the car was bought and before all this crap happened. I always do - or at least a set of 4 - for anyone in our family when cars are changed. I've not heard of anyone having alloy wheels stolen from bog-standard used cars for decades in any case.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 19:22   #12
silverfoxjw

Good to hear a good outcome
silverfoxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverfoxjw For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 20:59   #13
Classman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
My daughter just bought a 2011 V50 which I'm giving the once-over. Despite the previous owner's assurances, the wheel nut security key is missing.

A long shot but does anyone have this key? Thanks.
Yupo,i had the same....go into your Volvo Main dealers....they will check which one it is and order you one...mine cost £39. and took about 3 days to arrive.
Classman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 21:00   #14
Classman

Quote:
Thanks. My "local" main dealer told me this afternoon they couldn't help, hey ho. My buddy's going to weld one of the standard nuts onto each of the security ones face-on, so I should be able to crack them off ok with that.

Always sumtin.
Volvo Canterbury,Kent ordered mine,,,,£39
Classman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2021, 21:05   #15
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classman View Post
Yupo,i had the same....go into your Volvo Main dealers....they will check which one it is and order you one...mine cost £39. and took about 3 days to arrive.
As above, I contacted two Volvo main dealers who both said they have no means of checking which one it is. There has never been a database of security wheel nuts and there is no such thing as a master key. The only option has been to ask a Volvo dealer to borrow a "master set" of McGard keys from Volvo to check that way. Both the dealers I contacted said this was not possible and I chose not to argue. At that stage I was pointed to McGards who have supplied the key for 20EUR (it arrives tomorrow according to tracking).

Out of interest, how did your dealer check which key you had, and where did they order it from?
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 12:58   #16
goltho
Not my first road EO

Look what arrived this morning. It works!!

Best bit is they also sent a branded packet of Haribo! Such a professional company and fantastic customer service. Thanks again for the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B99F858-A65D-4EAE-A4DD-15197EF3F249.jpg (61.6 KB, 23 views)
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 13:21   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
As above, I contacted two Volvo main dealers who both said they have no means of checking which one it is. There has never been a database of security wheel nuts and there is no such thing as a master key. The only option has been to ask a Volvo dealer to borrow a "master set" of McGard keys from Volvo to check that way. Both the dealers I contacted said this was not possible and I chose not to argue. At that stage I was pointed to McGards who have supplied the key for 20EUR (it arrives tomorrow according to tracking).

Out of interest, how did your dealer check which key you had, and where did they order it from?
Absolutely shocking service and a lie, and lack of knowledge , it was something I mentioned on another post a few days ago about customer facing staff being new or not interested in the training they must have to do the job . They lack the most basic skill of wanting to help the customer ..

How many people here HAVE seen the same service advisor on two successive service visits for example ? Its not an easy job and many cant take the pace ..

By the way volvo ditched these McGuard wheel locking bolts 11 years ago and still provide the removal service and will provide the "NEW" Italian Current type of locking bolt which now has ten years of service life with no incidents of seizing ...
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 14:26   #18
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Absolutely shocking service and a lie, and lack of knowledge , it was something I mentioned on another post a few days ago about customer facing staff being new or not interested in the training they must have to do the job . They lack the most basic skill of wanting to help the customer
Mind your blood pressure, my friend! You may well be right but I chose not to argue as anecdotally I’m told it’s not something they can do any more so I looked elsewhere for a resolution.
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 20:10   #19
silverfoxjw

This is what this forum is about, if you can help point out a direction to go, it helps everyone, lets all keep helping each other, we may even save some money !
silverfoxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverfoxjw For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 20:13   #20
goltho
Not my first road EO

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfoxjw View Post
....we may even save some money !
AND a bag of sweets if you're lucky.

Last edited by goltho; Feb 1st, 2021 at 20:15.
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote