Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Polestar Optimisation

Views : 2647

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 02:49   #11
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

My expectation was low before having the Polestar optimisation installed. It was low because of what i read.
I had doubts about being well spent money. Nowadays and after i installed Polestar optimisation, my experience tells me it is worth. My opinion and it is what it is. At the end of the day, it's your decision and your call. I will try to help you with that decision. To be fair enough I might add it's expensive for what it gives to your car and to your perception as a driver. Don't get me wrong... but you won't feel you're mounting a rocket with insane increase of acceleration. It's smooth but it's perfectly visible. Car gets more tuned up. More calibrated. More balanced. Gearbox changes quicker. I felt that too. Throttle pedal more responsive.

Better acceleration and more top speed. Also it reacts quicker when you smash the throttle pedal. Less lag. More torque available sooner and therefore quicker when you hit gas pedal. Subtle changes that all together make a better car to drive. Gives you more pleasure. You clearly feel the push of extra horsepower. Progressive delivery but it's there. You feel the car more agile like if it was subdued to a diet and therefore more light. For me it should come like this from factory and not asking customers to pay for it. As part of my curiosity, soon I'll make a test power to see real numbers. I have the D4 engine. But if I had to guess I would aim for around 450 nm and something between 205 hp and 210 hp.

In the future I will scan test results and post online here in the forum.

Expensive but needed. For me it is worth. Not mind-blowing but enjoyable. I would install Polestar again if I had another Volvo. That's for sure. My opinion and the one that matters for me. I respect people that say otherwise.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jun 9th, 2021 at 02:53.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 19:27   #12
key76

I am very unimpressed with it in my S90 T5.

It hangs onto the gears for far too long, and even a brisk shoot away from the lights screams the hell out of the engine. Even when being spirited, I would have changed up a lot sooner. It doesn't sound or feel good for the car.

I think I misunderstood it a little when I ordered it (my own fault), but I was expecting better gear changes and a more optimised ride in all modes, not just the Polestar mode.

As it is, I never use it.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 21:45   #13
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
A slight digression but can anyone comment on insurance implications?. I have a 16 month old V90 R Design D5 Pro and was considering having it Polestarred. My company (LV) quoted an additional Circa £140. Max NCD, one driver, no boy racer (indeed no young boy). At the time it needed an instant decision so opted against going down that line. Just interested in other peoples experiences.
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 23:24   #14
Tresco85

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
I am very unimpressed with it in my S90 T5.

It hangs onto the gears for far too long, and even a brisk shoot away from the lights screams the hell out of the engine. Even when being spirited, I would have changed up a lot sooner. It doesn't sound or feel good for the car.

I think I misunderstood it a little when I ordered it (my own fault), but I was expecting better gear changes and a more optimised ride in all modes, not just the Polestar mode.

As it is, I never use it.
It does effect the comfort mode as well not just the Polestar mode.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 23:37   #15
destone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
It does effect the comfort mode as well not just the Polestar mode.
I wonder what’s the difference between a non-P Dynamic mode and P Comfort mode.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 23:39   #16
destone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Any insurer who wants to charge more for a Polestar optimised Volvo should reconsider. It is a software installed by the dealership. It does not classify as a custom modification.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 13:23   #17
Chudy85
Volvo family member

I just interested how many of people had they premium higher because of Polestar upgrade
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 18:56   #18
key76

My insurer didn’t charge more but wanted to know every single details about BHP increase etc and losted it as an remapping but with notes on what it does.
The Following User Says Thank You to key76 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 19:05   #19
Moonlanders

Mine were not interested as it was an option on the list for new cars and ordered at time of build. So considered factory fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonlanders For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 20:41   #20
Zidane

I like the idea that rather than go to an aftermarket remap you can get an official manufacturer one. That would really catch on.

However it sounds like it's actually a tiny uplift. If it was 25 to 30 horses / torques then loads of people would pay for it.
Zidane is offline   Reply With Quote