Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821189

Replies : 6255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2021, 08:13   #721
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I wonder which strategy the seller will adopt next time - perhaps a 99p auction with no reserve :-)
Nah! Too much like a common sense approach!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:01   #722
Othen
Premier Member

Default This old bus…

This old bus looks interesting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49286

… the seller claims it is not a barn find, but then offers no explanation as to why it last passed a MoT test in September 2013 with these advisories:

Advisory notice item(s)
Nearside Rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Offside Rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
front brake back plates corroded
rear tyre inner sidewalls cracking
slight brake bind on offside rear
exhaust life limited
front grill loose offside

,,, nothing serious, but another 8 years of dilapidation not sitting in a barn :-)

£750 sounds about right to me, it would be nice to think someone might save it, but at the end of the day it is only 32 years old, so just an old bus that might take more than it is worth to put back on the road. Perhaps the banger derby beckons?

PS. Having re-read the ad: I think the seller means it is a barn find, but he/she has a 9 year old’s ability at written English.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 19th, 2021 at 22:12.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:30   #723
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

PS. Having re-read the ad: I think the seller means it is a barn find, but he/she has a 9 year old’s ability at written English.
That's rather generous Alan! More like 5 year olds! He also states it's now done 114k but looking at the speedo it says 112k so he either can't type or can't copy!

The fact it still runs after a 7-8 year lay up without too much trouble says it should be a fairly good gamble, the thing that puts me off is the sea-breeze effect seeing as Fareham is so close to the coast.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:41   #724
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's rather generous Alan! More like 5 year olds! He also states it's now done 114k but looking at the speedo it says 112k so he either can't type or can't copy!

The fact it still runs after a 7-8 year lay up without too much trouble says it should be a fairly good gamble, the thing that puts me off is the sea-breeze effect seeing as Fareham is so close to the coast.
That is a good point, nearly a decade of sea breeze in an open fronted barn may well mean the underside is rotten. None of the things that were wrong with it when it was put away will have fixed themselves, so the re-commissioning bill might easily be £1,500 for tyres, brakes, exhaust, cam belt, gaskets and fluids (assuming it doesn’t need any welding or mechanical work), but the motor car would then be worth: £1,500 :-)
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:45   #725
Othen
Premier Member

Default I’m not sure but…

… I have a feeling I saw this car for sale when I was looking to buy the RB (18 months ago):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Volv....m46890.l49286

… I suppose if the vendor advertises it at a ridiculous price for long enough then this 1991 motor car will qualify as an historic vehicle :-)
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:55   #726
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
… I have a feeling I saw this car for sale when I was looking to buy the RB (18 months ago):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-Volv....m46890.l49286

… I suppose if the vendor advertises it at a ridiculous price for long enough then this 1991 motor car will qualify as an historic vehicle :-)
That looks vaguely familiar but you remember the scruffy brown GLE that was on ebay recently for quite some time? It's appeared in this months Practical Classics for £2850 if memory serves, i'll try to remember to take a pic of the ad and post it on here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 05:55   #727
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That looks vaguely familiar but you remember the scruffy brown GLE that was on ebay recently for quite some time? It's appeared in this months Practical Classics for £2850 if memory serves, i'll try to remember to take a pic of the ad and post it on here.
Gosh Dave, that is interesting. The nasty brown barn find car with a rusty boot floor? I think it was on eBay in various guises for about 6 months.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 12:03   #728
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

PS. Having re-read the ad: I think the seller means it is a barn find.

Please advise me. Is that why the listing says:

“genuine barn find”

PLEASE NOT THIS IS A BARN FIND BUT VERY VERY STRIAGHT CAR

Are we here to judge books by covers or mock person's literacy, or keyboard skills?

Simply typos type stuff, but any reader already knew that ...

My post as usual uses the language, loosely re rules. Hopefully not a fool to obey rules. And I have not looked in Fowler as to use of the word stuff ... mea culpa or maxima culpa ??? But sadly I am not a, wise person, to be guided by rules ...

P.S. Welcome back to forum posting Alan. I have missed the mix of entertaining opinions and information.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 12:14   #729
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

Dave.

At five I had not even heard of the alphabet! OK so yes it shows!

But I had received teaching of reading at the kitchen table of a teacher wot lived next door and very quickly lapped it up. Kushtie.

Why mock ye the seller?

If my language woz less off the wall I might try volunteer to help people learn to read. and if my health improved ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 13:10   #730
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Gosh Dave, that is interesting. The nasty brown barn find car with a rusty boot floor? I think it was on eBay in various guises for about 6 months.

That's the one Alan, i got the price a bit wrong and it's a GL not a GLE (it was the wheels made me think it was a GLE) but familiar nonetheless. It's on Pg 145 of this months (July issue) Practical Classics which should be on magazine shelves of your chosen emporium at the moment.

They presumably think people who buy cars from magazines don't use fora or ebay.........

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: