Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 Resonant Vibration

Views : 5581

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2020, 20:27   #11
jamiewatkins2004

Whats the latest status on this?
I've just got a 12MY and have noticed the same issue.
I've put it down to the resonance from the engine at low revs and too high a gear. As stated above when in sport you don't get it at all, so kinda seems like its low revs high gear issue and turbo not kicked in.
Still interested in your findings though. Keep us all posted.
jamiewatkins2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2020, 08:41   #12
stiggles
TG's tame racing driver

Hi All

Just as an update on this, my vehicle appears to have gotten worse. I'm not getting severe car rattling vibrations (like driving over a cattle grid) on light acceleration on speeds from 30mph onwards It's almost as if the car is trying to go into too low a gear. I can get the lightest hint of it in manual mode, but that generally behaves better. Behaviour at 70mph with a more subtle vibration remains.

Only change I'd made recently was going to the eco tyre pressures to help lighten the steering but the problem persisted at the lower pressures too.

I think it's going to head off to the dealer.
stiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 09:54   #13
Adrian B

Just an input, the noise on mine was the front offside driveshaft support bearing.Very noisy. Not a common problem I am told. In my case the noise did eminate from that corner of the car. XC60 D5 AWD. Regards
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 21:04   #14
baletak

Default Did you get this resolved?

I have got 2015 XC60 D5 162kw. I had extremly loud ticking noises from the engine with very light throttle and low RPMs which turned to be vacuum pump valve (... I thought injectors were going)... so this is resolved now.

What I could not find out is what is causing so much vibrations in low rpms ... interestingly on deleration as well... seem to be going through entire car.

Have changed transmission mount, torgue rod as well - no change. Will try alternator pulley as well. There are reports that crankshaft pulley could be causing this and someone mentioned above AC compressor clutch ... has anyone experienced this?

Also drive shaft support bearing ... what kind of noise does this do?

Many thanks for your ideas!
baletak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 22:05   #15
V8XCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by baletak View Post
I have got 2015 XC60 D5 162kw. I had extremly loud ticking noises from the engine with very light throttle and low RPMs which turned to be vacuum pump valve (... I thought injectors were going)... so this is resolved now.

What I could not find out is what is causing so much vibrations in low rpms ... interestingly on deleration as well... seem to be going through entire car.

Have changed transmission mount, torgue rod as well - no change. Will try alternator pulley as well. There are reports that crankshaft pulley could be causing this and someone mentioned above AC compressor clutch ... has anyone experienced this?

Also drive shaft support bearing ... what kind of noise does this do?

Many thanks for your ideas!
Is it manual or auto? Dual Mass Flywheel failure?

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 00:14   #16
Gazza builder

I believe many vibrations experienced are down to the haldex system. My vehicle started vibrating and juddering when pulling out of a junction. I then fitted new tyres to the rear, this made the vibration and juddering a lot worse, infact it even started doing it going round slight bends at any speed, more engine load enhanced the problem. I then change the tires front to back, this brought it back to its original problem of only vibrating and juddering when pulling out of junctions, but less severe. Next I did an Haldex oil change and cleaned the filter, this has virtually eliminated the problems altogether. I'm going to do another oil change on the Haldex system in the next thousand miles to see if that eliminates it altogether. If it doesn't then I will throw a new pump on it because they seem prone to losing pressure and failing around 70000 miles.
Gazza builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2021, 02:24   #17
baletak

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8XCV View Post
Is it manual or auto? Dual Mass Flywheel failure?
It is 6 speed auto. … feels like resonance going through the car or acceleration or deceleration. Have changed all motor mounts and nothing has changed…
The Following User Says Thank You to baletak For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 14:44   #18
baletak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza builder View Post
I believe many vibrations experienced are down to the haldex system. My vehicle started vibrating and juddering when pulling out of a junction. I then fitted new tyres to the rear, this made the vibration and juddering a lot worse, infact it even started doing it going round slight bends at any speed, more engine load enhanced the problem. I then change the tires front to back, this brought it back to its original problem of only vibrating and juddering when pulling out of junctions, but less severe. Next I did an Haldex oil change and cleaned the filter, this has virtually eliminated the problems altogether. I'm going to do another oil change on the Haldex system in the next thousand miles to see if that eliminates it altogether. If it doesn't then I will throw a new pump on it because they seem prone to losing pressure and failing around 70000 miles.
Have tried to pull haldex fuse, there was less of a resonnance/vibration but it is still there. It feels like engine had bad engine mount despite the fact I have changed them all for new on my last volvo shop visit.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 16:19   #19
Gazza builder

Stiggles mine's also Polestar tuned. From what I've read they remapped the Haldex four wheel drive system to make it more aggressive. Mine's still juddering slightly so I'm Putting a new Haldex pump on it. My rationale is that the pump is worn-out and it's pressure is low, so it doesn't have enough pump pressure to force the Haldex clutch plates together, and in turn the clutch keeps slipping and snatching, causing the vibration/rumble
Gazza builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 18:26   #20
moosehead74

Funnily enough my XC60 D5 AWD (2017 with only 17.5K on clock) went into Volvo today as I've been experiencing a resonance / droning at 1500 rpm which is more pronounced when the engine is under load, i.e. incline, etc. I first noticed it at the beginning of the year but put it down to the all season tyres recently fitted.

The purpose of the visit today was to rule out anything mechanical however when I picked it up I was surprised to hear that tyres appeared to have been ruled out and faulty EGR diagnosed. No engine lights or fault code and they said they have come across the problem only a couple of times in the past. I've no experience of EGR problems but could this be the likely cause?
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moosehead74 For This Useful Post: