Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power steering Problems

Views : 16629

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2017, 22:28   #21
osullivant

has anybody changed the solenoid themselves, looks and sounds like my most likely issue, car drivable but heavy when parking,
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2017, 23:16   #22
Ade2015

I've changed mine. I managed to do it without dropping the subframe, but it's one of those jobs that involves double jointed elbows, wrists and finger joints, doing things by feel rather than sight, small tools, a lot of time and cramp in your hands.
Would be much easier if the rack was dropped on the subframe, but I didn't fancy that on the drive with restricted access under the car.
As discussed earlier mine ended up being the pump rather than this valve and I wish I'd listened more closely to Clans advice - if pressing the accelerator when at parking speed makes the steering easier it could well be the pump that is the issue.
Ade2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2017, 00:49   #23
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade2015 View Post
.... it's one of those jobs that involves double jointed elbows, wrists and finger joints, doing things by feel rather than sight, small tools, a lot of time and cramp in your hands.
I think everything on this car requires the above...

Clans advice is correct but raising revs only occasionally and marginally improves mine, new fluid and 4 wheel alignment with new tires improved mine in the past but having not driven her for 6 months I now find the steering seriously heavy....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 13:49   #24
Chris Bodger

Hi, new here tonight from Australia.

I was reading this thread as I have some similar issues with a 2005 XC90 2.5T I picked up for very little money. It has high K's and the power steering fluid was a very dirty brown colour.

There was some free play which I thought could be in the rack and and the steering would grind a little when turning lock while stationary.

I took to emptying the reservoir and filling again (several times) with some Penrite Full Synthetic ATF fluid that I had (Red) and it seemed to improve the grinding.

I then noted that during high speed sweeping turns that the steering wheel would pulsate and so I did some more reading. I discovered here that the Volvo's use CHF11S and I found the Australian equivalent from Penrite called LDAS. 2 Liters later after a few more emptying and refilling of the reservoir I thought it seemed a lot better and the pulsing was going away.

Next morning with cold fluid I noted a sticky point on the wheel at 5 to 12 on the clock and each time the wheel passed this point it would click. when the Power Steering fluid warmed up this would correct itself and all seemed much happier.

Then tonight the pulsing is back with a vengeance. The steering wheel pulses and the pump surges at standstill. Fluid level is fine, hose clamps tight and belt not slipping, higher revs no different.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a standard rack or a Servotronic rack.
From Gazza's original post I cant see any pictures and I cant locate the servotronic relay on the car. If I can eliminate that then at least ill now its not a lot of sludge in the rack blocking the solenoid.

If someone could tell me the location of the servotronic relay I can eliminate that.

Next I was planning a few more fluid changes with the LDAS as it is still quite dark after running through the system. Hoping I can improve it again.

Any advice to avoid spending more on the car than I actually paid for it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris Bodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 06:21   #25
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Never mic red and green fluids. Do another flush and refill with correct fluid.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 11:00   #26
Chris Bodger

No worries. I actually ran another litre of CHF11S through today and found a small leak where the metal pipe goes into to rubber pipe just after the pump. Added some stop leak and it’s been improving significantly.

Cheers
Chris Bodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 08:11   #27
blowupp

Thanks to my local garage we have had the power steering pump replaced twice and parking still takes two of us! I think the relay is worth investigating but the images referred to in the post are not showing - am I able to load them somehow?
yours
Mark
blowupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2019, 06:16   #28
Wolfywolf

I had the same problem as Chris Bodger on my 2005 XC90 with the pulsing on sweeping corners about 3 months ago, turned out it was the pin inside the steering rack that is supposed to be solid but wasn't, this cost me £560 to have the pin welded back in (a bit of a gripe for me as I am a welder but the garage wouldn't let me do it for 'warranty' reasons).

I am now having the 'stupidly heavy at a standstill' problem so I am going to have to find out if my problem is the valve, controller or pump, if it is the pump I think I'm looking at anything between £80 and £290 depending on my part number.

I have just checked Old Mr Haynes magical book of useless pictures and it tells you squat about the valve/controller.
Wolfywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 12:47   #29
bluey_xc90

I'm having similar issues - intermittent low speed heavy steering on an 11 R-design with the speed sensitive steering. Already had the solenoid replaced on the rack, and flushed through twice with the green central hydraulic fluid which has made some difference but still plays up from time to time.

I need to look at where the electronic controller is to find the part number and see if I can replace that next. The pump doesn't seem to be overworked as revving it doesn't make much difference - it seems the brain behind the steering is convinced to reduce the assistance thinking you are moving ...
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 08:34   #30
DJT

Where are the pictures that look like they should be in the original post?
The Following User Says Thank You to DJT For This Useful Post: