Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Factory built P2 bi-fuel models tank research

Views : 13853

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2016, 12:45   #1
casperlaurence

Default Factory built P2 bi-fuel models tank research

Hello everyone,

Excellent to have a dedicated forum for the factory built bi-fuel models and aftermarket LPG conversions.

I'm researching these models at the moment and would be grateful for any replies and info.

I understand Volvo offered both LPG and CNG bi-fuel models of the X40 and P2 S60, V70 and S80. No XC90 as presumably the spare wheel under the floor was a problem. I see it was a Necam system used for both.

I've found the following image on Volvo's media site of a CNG S80 plus the diagrams I've also copied below.

It seems that the bi-fuel models have a different boot floor so as to permit the installation of the large CNG tank or the single LPG tank?

The pic of the chap standing under the car near the CNG tank is from a German magazine article about these cars and the need to replace the CNG tanks at 15 years (Mk1 S/V70 CNG bi-fuels), 15 years for the early P2 CNG models and thereafter it was 20 years.

1) Would anyone have a photo they could get or share of the equivalent petrol tank and backwards for a factory bi-fuel LPG please?

Looking for a picture similar to the one below (not a volvo in this example)

2) LPG models share the same bodyshell i.e. same boot floor amendment as the CNG version ( I guess so from a cost point of view and since these were low volume production volumes.

3) I can see the CNG version has a smaller petrol tank and two steel CNG tanks in the space vacated ahead of the smaller petrol tank. For the LPG versions, they also have a smaller petrol tank? What is installed in the location ahead of the smaller petrol tank? Anything?

I'm looking for a bi-fuel V70 as either LPG or CNG if anyone knows of one for sale?

I appreciate the CNG versions are quite rare in the UK but I understand Volvo UK imported a few RHD bi-fuel CNG demonstrator cars but the lack of infrastructure at the time for CNG (true even now) prevented a wide uptake.

I believe British Gas may have had a fleet of CNG Volvo's as well though too.

Looking forward to hearing from you

kind regards

Official Volvo pics from a press release

casperlaurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 12:47   #2
casperlaurence

Also, does anyone have any photos of the LPG tanks, supplier info (manufacturer and part number) and the pipework routing down the body? Material?

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is and part number for the CNG tanks?

thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 20:09   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Only very few CNG cars made it to the UK.

1 is accounted for and is with a forum member
another is known to be exported and the system removed

The front end system was dated before they were being fitted and is not reliable.

Don't know who made the tanks but the LPG lines are copper and the CNG ones are steel.

The photos go well to demonstrate how the exhaust is too close to the tank to pass COP11 inspection. There are few other niggles with the install like a join in the feed pipe just above the exhaust that does not need to be there.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 16:52   #4
casperlaurence

Hi

Thanks for your reply

I know of one P2 V70 CNG in the UK in black. I believe British Gas had a few as well.

Re the exhaust being too close to the tanks to pass COP11, is this for the single large tank for an LPG bi-fuel and also therefore the large CNG tank in the equivalent (I assume!) location?

Or the two small steel CNG tanks

I'm thinking of fitting a CNG retrofit system to a standard petrol P2 V70. Given info so far that implies the S60/V70/S80 bi-fuels have different boot floors (no spare wheel well) (any confirm please?) I was thinking of a large tank having to go in the boot. With a bi-fuel petrol tank then fitted for the standard I was thinking of installing two smaller steel tanks here as per the factory CNG bi-fuels.

Do you foresee a problem for the CNG tanks in this location given current legislation?

Does anyone have tank capacities for the LPG and CNG bi-fuel models? (P2 cars).

Anyone know the capacity of the single CNG tank installed in the S70 and Mk1 V70 bi-fuels? LPG tanks for these too?

Looking for internal or water volume rather than a fuel mass that they hold.

thanks!
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 00:41   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

'tis I. I will talk CNG, the gas of the gods.

I've a P1 CNG with a 98L Raufoss tank when new. Now expired, so I've a 85L in there. If you're after a P2 in RHD here in the UK, you're after one very rare car. I think you're chasing 3-4 cars, so amongst the rarest Volvos in the world.
The rest are in Europe in LHD. At least 2 RHD cars have benn exported. One P1 has been scrapped.

P1 I know of 2 still in this country, one being mine. The other with its guts ripped. A third went to NZ.
P2 I have tell of 2, both intact but tanks on the way out. A third in RHD went to Holland.

And there's a V40 Saloon in CNG around somewhere. John Lewis had a few. I'd heasrd that a few Lefttie councils 'oop narth' had their mayors trot about in S80s too. I know of 1xS80.

LPG with these gets easier, pretty common.

How on earth did you get the mechanic pic etc? And why so keen? Says I, I does like to think I knows a fair bit on this subject, and where the cars are et al, yet and all I've not seen your non-Volvo released pics.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 23rd, 2016 at 00:51.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 01:25   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

To pass COP the exhaust needs to be at least 100mm away from the tank. If the clearance is less heat sheilding must be used and should have been used on the Volvo supplied conversions.

If you want CNG you are going to have to convert a car.
I would not even bother looking for a LPG factory fit as the front end kit is rubbish and would not have the timing advance you need for CNG either.

The boot floor area is just cut out and some plate welded in its place and would not be that hard to do on a normal petrol shell
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 11:17   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I have to agree with you Classic sir. 'tis why I nearly came a'knockin' on your door. Excepting, the issue won't be the isntall position or method, but getting the tanks the right sizes and at cost that makes it viable in the first... I have a pile of CNG tanks, (like my CNG Volvo bits, collected over the last 3-4 years) but none would be fitted where you'd have them shoved. I don't suppose he's looked to see what CNG cylinders cost. They're not like the glorified aerosol cans used for LPG. The Forklift & Icerink indsutry uses CNG, 'tis where I've been getting in-date cylinders at reasonable prices.

Type 1 are dear enough. I kid not, you could buy a house in soem parts of this country for the price of decent-sized Type 3! And tehn jsut when you think you're done, they expire...
So, he'll need a more oblique approach.

That aside, interesting that regs and thus you are not happy with Volvo's own install. Because these things take up so much room, without side-exit up front like old Landrovers, I don't see how you'd ever get an exhaust system away from them with all that much to spare.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 24th, 2016 at 11:44.
Old May 21st, 2016, 14:24   #8
portuguese
frustrated bi-fuel owner

So thats why I cannot find a spare wheel?

Huh, my tyre just bursted and I kept looking for the spare wheel without any success.

Guess I need to get at least a spray for small punctures.

S80 bi-fuel 2002 going to scrap this summer.

2002 Volvo S80 bi-fuel estate
1999 Astra van LPG fitted
1984 Cherokee V6 2.8 LPG
portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 13:44   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Let me know when you are getting rid. I might take off you
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 19:17   #10
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

And put me in the queue too. IMHO in that short period when gas powered cars be it CNG or LPG were being made ex-factory by major manufacturers, Volvo made the best. Only hte demand for them was not there and i understand Volvo took a caning selling them.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 30th, 2016 at 19:20.