Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent warning: 240 thefts in south-east

Views : 185757

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2020, 17:33   #61
novomobile

I did not purchase a specific Volvo kit. All my vivid yellow mechanically operated with keys/locks were all manufactured in the 70 s. They were widely available from the likes of Halfords ,motor accessory shops and motor factors, and have lasted me well over the years. Like I said, they are just a good visual deterrent for casual chancers.
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2020, 17:55   #62
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Better to do something than nothing: ~ a battery isolation switch is useful for a number of reasons- some will have or make one up a linked fuse that will allow the central locking to work but will blow if the car is started without screwing the switch down, the knob is removable. You can also fit one/two interior flashing lights as a modern car has (alarm activated) but run from a small battery box. A petrol on/off tap is easily fitted to these cars –bulkhead region. A number of window stickers are available to state alarm fitted & tracked, and the old favourite remove the rotor arm or fit a hidden switch to isolate the ignition.
Most if not all of these items are available through the likes of flea bay---Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 23:08   #63
Chris152

I came to this thread as I'd been wondering about security options. A little anecdote, having just read the comments on old-fashioned krook-locks etc. A neighbour's new Ford Mustang was on his drive over night, and someone tried to steal it - they'd cloned his key remotely somewhere, got in the car, but were foiled by a 30 year old lock, the cheap kind that goes under the clutch and into the steering wheel! Apparently there's been quite an upturn in sales of newer versions of the locks in recent years.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 09:32   #64
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I had a timer circuit made up with an NE555 IC that I wired through a hidden switch that flashed the rear fogs lamps alternately - the idea was that this would attract the police's attention, though nowadays there aren't any police around...

A "Discar-nect"(IIRC that's what they're called) cut into one of the battery leads is a cheap solution: remove the big knob and there's an in-line 5amp fuse and wiring to keep the clock/alarm live but not the starter circuit.

Removal of the steering wheel or gear lever is highly visible.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 11:59   #65
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I had a timer circuit made up with an NE555 IC that I wired through a hidden switch that flashed the rear fogs lamps alternately - the idea was that this would attract the police's attention, though nowadays there aren't any police around...

A "Discar-nect"(IIRC that's what they're called) cut into one of the battery leads is a cheap solution: remove the big knob and there's an in-line 5amp fuse and wiring to keep the clock/alarm live but not the starter circuit.

Removal of the steering wheel or gear lever is highly visible.
there are about 15 to 20 volvos written of at each banger race that's hundreds a year around the country if not 1000's ...
Old Dec 3rd, 2020, 23:20   #66
CosmicBike

Mine gets a handbrake - gearstick 'Stop Lock' as a visual deterrent. At the end of the day is someone really wants your car they'll have it, you can only try and make it harder to steal than the one next to it.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 14:19   #67
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Catalytic Convertor Thefts

It seems catalytic convertor theft is [become] prevalent in some areas. A battery powered cutter and, bob's the thieve's uncle. I suggest two stages of how to be prepared.

Typically the Lambda sensor will be screwed in to the the catalytic convertor. It is taken as part of the theft and the wiring is cut. There might be a blanking plug to fit the sensor to the exhaust down pipe. Moving the sensor to that location could minimise the loss and bovver if the catalytic convertor is stolen.

Some 240s have catalytic convertors but are not required for MOT to have a catalytic convertor. So. check re your 240. If appropriate, consider removing the catalytic convertor then it cannot be stolen. Does the catalytic convertor really benefit the environment? And better the scrap value in your own pocket, or store the catalytic convertor in case of need?

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 16:37   #68
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Does the catalytic convertor really benefit the environment?
Yes, substantially...but I don't think it takes away from your point. It isn't going to do much good if it's forcibly removed, and it seems to be an absolute epidemic at the moment, with little being done to combat it, sadly. A friend has had three cats stolen in the last couple of months, and another had his taken from a V70R a few weeks ago.

An element of proactivity wouldn't go amiss. It could always be reinstalled once scrap prices drop and the current trend dies down. Guards are another option.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 22:08   #69
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Yes, substantially...but I don't think it takes away from your point. It isn't going to do much good if it's forcibly removed, and it seems to be an absolute epidemic at the moment, with little being done to combat it, sadly. A friend has had three cats stolen in the last couple of months, and another had his taken from a V70R a few weeks ago.

An element of proactivity wouldn't go amiss. It could always be reinstalled once scrap prices drop and the current trend dies down. Guards are another option.

cheers

James

Thank you.

Cogitating, I reckon government could do more. Scrap dealers so far as I know have to check evidence of ID. Now how about having to see original document evidence of the vehicle that a catalytic convertor has been taken from. And for example evidence from the building owner if roof lead is offered for sale .....

Some scrap metal dealers just must be saying, I am blind in one eye I really cannot see the signal. (The Battle of Copenhagen? )

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 23:56   #70
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sorry about the (very) late reply. Couldn't agree more!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: