Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY2010 XC90 Towbar wiring

Views : 11104

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 14:05   #11
XCF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
On the fitting Nick, as i have just done mine, i found it usefull to also unbolt the second exhuast mount that is on the rear subframe/axel as it gave me more room to get at the bolts that side as it a bit tight on room.
Thanks - I had a quick look and dropped the exhaust from the rear hanger and also the second mount ( just unbolted this one on both sides. I hoped this would lets the exhaust drop down enough.

I also assumed I would need to remove the lower part of the bumper (the silver trim ) as advised by someone else on here - or atleast partially remove it from the support piece to the right of the exhaust where there are two push fit fixings.

Did you have to do this or could you somehow position the towbar into the space without having to do any of this ?

And were you fitting the same towbar ?

If so - how big a cut did you have to make ? - I'm planning on making as small a cut around the towbar as neccessary.

Thanks
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 15:48   #12
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Mine doesn't have the silver bit and my towbar is the flange type so didn't need to make any cuts. I found getting the main beam of the towbar up in to place easy enough but got my wife to hold the bolts in place whilst i got the nuts on.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 19:41   #13
Hendert

Default Another option

I posted a thread XC 90 trailer module the other day and people have been very helpful, I have it booked in this Friday at the main dealer.nicknick you have explained the reason for the software upgrade and like you I can live without it, until I looked at your instruction info I had no idea that behind the rear panel above the wheel arch was a fuse box and connectors and given the state of my old trailer module I think I need to look asap. The wireing seems cheap compared to what volvo have quoted me, when I said the connector plugs on my module looked to be in poor condition, they mention around £120 for a harness.
Hendert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 20:07   #14
XCF
Master Member

7 Pin Wiring Kit: [30756530]
Retail Price £19.93

13 Pin Wiring Kit: [30756531]
Retail Price £84.20

Trailer Module: [30664974]
Retail Price £36.44

So - if Volvo are qouting you for a 13pin wiring kit and trailer module then at list price is around £120.
If you don't need 13 pin then 7 pin is much cheaper, but if you contact Simon at FRF you can get it cheaper still.

You could easily save yourself any labour charge with Volvo by swapping it over yourself. I assume your car has a towbar in place ? - if so I would check all the bolts are in place as this would let water / road spray into the area where the module sits.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:56   #15
Chris N

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick View Post
Just wanted to say ..

I ordered my tow bar wiring from Simon at FRF. List price for the 7 pin wiring was just under £20, ( 13 pin £84.20) and tow bar control unit was £36.

Part numbers are
7 Pin Wiring Kit: [30756530]
13 Pin Wiring Kit: [30756531]
Trailer Module: [30664974]

You need the Trailer module + 7 or 13 pin wiring kit.

With the discount from Simon I paid just over £50 even with postage.

Parts arrived 36 hours after ordering.

Install was very, very easy. I ordered 7 pin wiring, which allows option to passthrough power / fog light or reverse. If you don't want any then no pins need changing.

The instructions will have you take half the car apart, but you don't need to. The socket on the rear fuse panel is reachable without taking out the rear panel. Wiring comes up through existing battery drain hole. Earth feed by battery. Then connect one plug to fuse panel and add 2 fuses. Job done.

If any one needs any more info let me know.
How easy is it to put the wiring in to the fuse panel as I can not see were it would go?

Not sure what to go for? 13 pin or 7 pin? It's would be to tow a hired caravan or a motorbike trailer.

I got bored yesterday and fitted the Westfalia wiring harness. It's a really nice easy fit inside the car but I'm unhappy with the 13pin plug end that sits under the car as you have to screw each wire in one by one and my concern is over time one wire may snap or pull out so I might just take it all out and fit the Volvo one. Just gutted I fitted it. Should of left it for sale on ebay.

Why ow why do I do these things........
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 19:43   #16
ABC
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
How easy is it to put the wiring in to the fuse panel as I can not see were it would go?

I found it very easy. A little harder to take it out ( when I realised I needed to feed wire through towbar plate holder first) but not an issue. If you look at this I posted a picture which shows the fuse panel.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91220

The Volvo towbar wiring loom connects to the top right hand side of the panel you can see.

Quote:
Not sure what to go for? 13 pin or 7 pin? It's would be to tow a hired caravan or a motorbike trailer.
The 13 pin is probably more use to you if you have a caravan as it allows you to pass charging / reverse and fog light through , whereas the 7 pin allows just one of these three to be used ( you have the choice which (if any) to connect).

Quote:
I got bored yesterday and fitted the Westfalia wiring harness. It's a really nice easy fit inside the car but I'm unhappy with the 13pin plug end that sits under the car as you have to screw each wire in one by one and my concern is over time one wire may snap or pull out so I might just take it all out and fit the Volvo one. Just gutted I fitted it. Should of left it for sale on ebay.

Why ow why do I do these things........
The volvo 7 pin wiring was all connected ( and silicon sealed ) to the socket, and the wiring had the correct gromit pre fitted for the boot floor ( probably why the westfalia one doesn't have pins connected so you can cut a hole in the existing gromit and feed your wiring through.
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 07:30   #17
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Think I'll order the official kit for fitting mine!

Mike.
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 19:32   #18
Davexc90

Hi does anyone no if Simon still sells the 13 pin trailer module's? Brought a dud the other day luckily the breakers I brought it from is gunna give me a refund cheers in advance
Davexc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 20:05   #19
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davexc90 View Post
Hi does anyone no if Simon still sells the 13 pin trailer module's? Brought a dud the other day luckily the breakers I brought it from is gunna give me a refund cheers in advance
FRF are Volvo dealers, so if still available from Volvo Simon/FRF should be able to supply.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote