Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 T6 / T8 or XC60 T8?

Views : 1133

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2021, 23:20   #1
ewand

Default V60 T6 / T8 or XC60 T8?

hi all

I've never owned a Volvo but have just sold an Audi RS4 Avant, and really fancy a V60. I'm looking for some advice from those experienced in the marque, please
  • I fancy a car that is comfortable but not too shabby in performance when required
  • I think therefore I'd prefer Inscription to R-Design
  • I don't want a diesel
  • I've had a Range Rover in the past and found it ridiculously too large, so fancy estate car over SUV
  • I'll be buying cash, would rather go for newer / lowish mileage

Should I be looking at T8 V60s or is the T6 plug in hybrid a decent alternative? I'm not sure about the differences other than T6 is lower in power

The XC60 might be a better fit though I actually prefer estate cars to SUVs - though if the V60 gets canned in a year or two, what would that do to resale values etc

Initially, I thought I'd want to go nearly-new / 9-12mo old / < 5k miles, on the basis that I'd probably keep it for ~8 years or so. I like blue cars, and I think I prefer Bursting Blue to Denim Blue, though I've not seen either up close TBH...

What would you advise? Thanks in advance! Ewan
ewand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 09:05   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

You'll have seen YouTube reviews of the T8 will floor it and get all excited about the acceleration.

Yes, it's fun, but you won't do it a lot. Volvos aren't handling cars and they don't really like to be driven fast. The experience you had in your Audi, you won't find here (even with 400bhp of T8), and you won't "feel" the road in the same way you did with the Audi.

If you want comfort and performance, I'd suggest a Macan - I had one previously and they're very comfortable and satisfying when it comes to Sport mode. Mine was the 3.0V6 Diesel and it easily averaged 45mpg - a lot more than I'm getting out of my current T8 when it's exhausted the electric range.

Even with nearly-new cars, you'll probably get the old Sensus infortainment system. While everything looks cool on the big touch-screen, it's pretty horrible to use when you're on the move unless you have a voice that's well-suited to issuing voice commands.

I know I'm dumping a bit on Volvos here, but I've done the same thing as you - gone from a performance-oriented car to a Volvo and kind of assuming I'd get the same thing. I didn't, even with 115 more bhp.

If you're really thinking of a plug-in hybrid, think about the journeys you make - if you're exceeding that 21 miles, then you'll be lugging that big battery around on a 2ltr petrol engine. For trips under 21 miles, you'll be teasing at the accelerator, trying to eek out as much range as you can.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 09:27   #3
Cull06
Master Member

Try and sit in a T8 before buying it. It’s a different ‘take’ on performance. They are lovely cars mind, but very different to an rs4
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 10:55   #4
Polestar Pete
Polestar

You need to test drive really. Even then, you need to force yourself into the mind set of driving a PHEV which is a lot different than a performance car.

In the Audi, you're probably used to taking corners "slow in, fast out" to get the best out of it. In a PHEV, this changes to "ease in, ease out" and you concentrate more on maintaining stability and momentum rather than braking and accelerating as you would do normally.

When looking at buying a PHEV, you really need to think about what you want it for. "Power" isn't really a realistic reason - I really do spend a lot of time trying to keep my car in EV mode as much as possible and that's 87bhp moving a two ton vehicle.

Having said that, I do enjoy the odd silly moment of power mode when on the way back from the driving range.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:52   #5
bluey_xc90

Don't expect any form of interesting handling - evo slated the new v60 t6 when they ran one for a few months (r design) and couldn't find much to like about it as a drivers car.

Last volvo drivers car was the previous gen Polestar engineered (either the 2.0l twincharged or earlier 3.0l). Biased as have a 3.0 polestar here being honest
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 15:42   #6
ewand

Thanks for the advice guys. To be clear, I'm not looking for something comparable to the RS4, really - the point of the Volvo would be for something comfortable and practical, with decent toys yet without giving up on a bit of poke when required.

Until late last year, I ran a 1st gen Honda Insight for a 8 years as effectively a daily driver, so am cool with the different driving styles that would be needed. I have a Lotus for "fun" driving anyway...

I had a look at my friend's 2019 XC90 T8 in Denim Blue today, and he said the Sensus was OK - was there a major update that I need to be aware of? (As Polestar Pete pointed out)

I think I'll need to go and test a whole slew of options

What's the practical difference between T6 Twin Engine and T8? Is it literally the engine tune or is there any other major differentiator?
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 00:01   #7
Polestar Pete
Polestar

The only major update to Sensus was moving to Google in the very latest cars. There was a small update after MY18 when it introduced a faster processor.

If you get hands on with Sensus, try searching for a postcode in the navigation section and try changing the cabin temperature while concentrating on the road ahead. Two very simple tasks, which Volvo seem to make difficult.

But yes, you need to learn a new way of driving. It took me a while to adjust.

As far as I'm aware, the T6 is the same as the T8, but without the supercharger.

Comfortable and practical, yes - Volvo has that.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 11:12   #8
ewand

Righty ho - sitrep.

I mentally wanted a V60 - don't need an SUV etc, but went to a dealer and test drove an Inscription Pro XC60 alongside an R-Design XC40 and an Inscription Pro V60CC. To my surprise, we both felt the XC60 was the best - and they're way more plentiful from a used perspective. A good chat with the dealer drew his comment that MY21 is a better spec than MY22 due to change in standard kit, the increase in prices and even the inability to fulfil some orders (BLIS etc).

Trouble is, that particular XC60 was in black with charcoal interior and I'd decided I don't want a black car.

However, we found (elsewhere) a MY21 Denim Blue XC60 Inscription Pro T8 with a little over 100 miles on the clock and first registered 3 weeks ago, and it's being delivered on Thursday Thanks for the help & advice!

Last edited by ewand; Jul 26th, 2021 at 11:18.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewand For This Useful Post: