Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon 122S KBY for Sale

Views : 1685

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2021, 00:49   #1
REG122S

Default Amazon 122S KBY for Sale

For Sale - 1966 Volvo Amazon 122S, 4 door in Pearl White (79-1) with black roof. £18000 OVVNO
B18 M41 with D-type Overdrive.
@135K miles
Many photographs, much history. (some photos in the galley)
As feature in Classic and Sports Car magazine (May 2020 - Like Father like Son) and NEC Classic Car show 2019 VOC stand.

This is a bit of a wrench, but due to family circumstances, I am selling my Volvo Amazon 122S, 4 door, which I’ve had for 5 years. This car is KBY 422D, restored in the mid 1980s, to an incredible standard by the then owner Tony Burke when already covered 120k mike's as a daily runner, who won numerous concourse competitions for a decade. Tony's pinnacle was to be Benson & Hedges National and then INTERNATIONAL WORLD Concourse competition winner in 1990, beating the worlds best cars.
And it's still pretty good, although not that supreme or concourse standard as it was in the 90s but has had a light restore over the last 5 years to recover from 5 years in a USA museum and 13 years of less fastidious ownership.
Please email me with any questions or to arrange an inspection.
Valued by VOC section at £20000-£25000 but realistically looking for £18000 OVVNO
Please send any questions to Rob at reg_ave@hotmail.com
The car is available for viewing near Crewe🎂NW England and will be at the BKV at Uttoxeter in July if not already sold by then.

Work completed during my ownership:
ENGINE
B18. M41 gearbox with D type OD.
All fluids changed (engine (yearly), gearbox, OD (inc filter), rear axle (ENV type)(hypoid), steering box (hypoid)
Twin SU carburettors cleaned, refurbished, balanced and tuned. All plugs are a nice light brown.
Deeper, blue, air filters fitted (previous chrome tops and plates available)
Head is NOT unleaded and additive is always added to fuel. Generally low mileage per year though.
Fuel hose replaced with modern ethanol resistant type and fuel filter added.
ELECTRICAL
Alternator fitted by a previous owner
DRIVETRAIN
Rear pinion seal replaced.
Prop shaft joining boot replaced and greased.
U-joints greased yearly.
New clutch fitted by previous owner @131k miles (receipted)
2" exhaust fitted by previous owner
SUSPENSION
Lowered @25mm by previous owner
All cleaned and re-bushed
Panhard rod re-bushed
Tracking adjusted.
WHEELS
Minilites fitted by previous owner (original wheels available and in very good condition with hub caps)
Brakes cleaned and serviced front and back. All good life left on pads.
BODYWORK
No known rust what so ever!
No underseal underneath as this was painstaking removed by Tong Burke as a step to winning concourse titles.
I removed all surface rust that was present when I bought the car, treated, painted and wax oiled.
Under bonnet prepared, treated and painted.
Top paint was refreshed by the previous owner and removed some orange peel from the C-pillars.
New windscreen fitted by the previous owner apparently.
All chrome is in good condition with rocker cover and wing mirrors having been rechromed.
Door handle show slight signs of putting but not bad at all.
Chrome bumpers are in great condition (insides having been cleaned of surface rust, treated and Hammarited)
Car park ding to one side trim 😡
INTERIOR
All interior switches, lights, etc work
One little area of paint chipped round the ignition switch.
Instrument unit has a small area of the surround, grey flock missing.
Original radio.
Smiths tachometer fitted.
Lucas fog lights fitted.
Sun visor repadded.
Glove shelf refurbished.
Front seats have been repadded and webbing tightened. The rear seat is as hardly sat in.
Door panels are all very good as are all buttons, handles and switches.
Headlining is unmarked
All door and boots seal rubbers have been replaced and these are still bedding in and doors need a little adjustment.
All footwells have had surface rust removed, rust treated, Hammarited and then painted in 79-1.
Dynamat type sound deadening installed on floors, overlayed with closed cell foam and new, quality, bespoke black carpets sets with leather edging.
RIDE
KBY drives and pulls very well. Gear change and OD are good with the steering positive and I find a pleasure to drive! The car has been used on weekends and high days and trips to Silverstone, Oulton Park, Donnington, etc, but not used when salt is on the roads and always washed, dried and garaged with a cover.
SPARES
Some spares (not panels or anything major) have been purchased along the way and are included in the sale. Coil, bushes, coolant hose, freeze plugs, trim fixings, pipe fixings, clutch slave cylinder spring.
REG122S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REG122S For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:40   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Pity you are selling her but this is one of the best Amazons' in the country. She's world champ, that's some heritage and must be the only Amazon I assume that can claim that. Someone needs to snap this up as she is one of a kind. Awesome.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 14:40   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Pity you are selling her but this is one of the best Amazons' in the country. She's world champ, that's some heritage and must be the only Amazon I assume that can claim that. Someone needs to snap this up as she is one of a kind. Awesome.
Indeed, 'Burdekin'. The difficulty for lesser mortals (like me) would be in maintaining her in the condition to which she has become accustomed. It would have to be a labour of love, and 'REG122S's obvious dedication would be a very hard act indeed to follow!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 20:57   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Rob is a fellow member of the Cheshire Section of the VOC and 'KBY' regularly attends our meetings and classic shows where it always attracts attention, even from those non-Volvo admirers who know nothing of it's history and award-winning past.

It really is still a beautiful car and Rob has brought it back up to amazing condition under his ownership after its period of USA museum hibernation and subsequent use which he describes.

I know how sad he is to part with the Amazon and I can tell you that if any of us in the section could lay our hands on the funds, it wouldn't be leaving the area as we were all delighted when Rob joined us when he bought KBY 422D, especially those of us who remembered the car from its concourse winning days with Tony Burke.

Good luck with the sale Rob.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 18:41   #5
REG122S

Although valued by the club between £20 and £25k I think realistically I would be looking for £16k, looking at prices of other Amazon's that have been for sale recently.
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 21:03   #6
hutch63

For us poor people any chance of a few photos just to make our mouth water.
hutch63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:47   #7
mike gilbert
Master Member

I remember this car from the late 80's, early 90's. It was as near perfection as a car can get. Tony painted it himself and I've never seen a professional finish as good as his. If its even reasonably close to the condition it was in back then its a great buy at that money.
mike gilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2021, 21:34   #8
REG122S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch63 View Post
There are some photos in the Gallery. Just search KBY.
Cheers!
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 10:15   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Article on it.

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/...amazon-tribute
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 16:36   #10
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch63 View Post
Also just noticed that on the left hand side under REG's name, where is says "View Photos by REG122S", if you click on that it takes you straight to his photos.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post: