Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth it??

Views : 1753

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2021, 18:09   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
I have a 1999 v70R it is very uneconomical it's not standard to give you an idea I also drive Merc E63 AMG 6.2 V8 and I think it's better on fuel than the V70R someone might have a standard one on here maybe there a lot better standard
When driven around town and at light throttle, a highly tuned, large capacity normally aspirated engine is likely to be more efficient than a very low compression, smaller engine optimised for forced induction that isn't blowing...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 18:19   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Completely right. When some idiot shouts "It's not worth that" when it clearly is, I'm left perplexed. Artworks go under the hammer for £90 million, why? Because somebody paid it.

In RT's case, he reckons he's overpaid by £1-2K? So be it. Yet when this example is the car he thought he was buying, ie at Stage 1, it'll be worth £10ishK all day long. And here's the good bit. It's an 850R for chrissakes, if it's bright, without too much effort, there's always another ready to stump for it.

Compare that to walking into today's dealership with 10K, and see how that holds in 2-3 years? With depreciation the larger cost, my money says, long-game today's £1-2K over-payment soon looks very wise.

Compared to how most buy cars, the thing will hold its price. This kinda' makes for near free motoring. It's an 850R for chrissakes.

I said, "you'd not prise from me for £7-8000". Like RT's 10K figure, you really would have to pay me £7-8000 or more to get it from me. In truth it's not worth that, yet it's a known quantity, thus worth that to me. Because to find its match would cost me time, this before we even think in terms of money? And I can't find the arsedness to do it all again. Which I suspect is the same place RT gets his notional 10K from.

Done right, with thought - £9-10K for a 25 year old car is not dim at all, it's cheap motoring.
Just had this debate in the office today - a colleagues husband has just sold one of his 280 Brooklands' Capri's on e-bay. It was a rolling project, described honestly, priced at what they thought was high and within 2 hours there was 250 watchers and it was being laoded onto a trailer after a bank transfer - the buyer paid them £100 more than the asking price to hold it for 2 hours whilst he travelled from North Yorkshire to Leeds. He had an e-bay alert set so any Capri's get listed - he gets a text message.

There's a point with cars when most of the bad ones have rotted away and the better ones are become classic and rare, the values start to go up. But as time goes on more of them get scrapped, crashed, stolen, broken for parts etc and due to age and whatever they become more desirable. You then reach a point where you can say there currently isn't another one available - anywhere - that's when you can almost ask whatever price you want and get it.

There must be a few people around aged say 60+ who had a 850 T5/T5R company car back in the 90's who have a bank full of money as they haven't been able to go on holiday or eat at Carluccios twice a week for 16 months who will be hankering after being a classic car owner.

If I'd kept both the XJS's I've owned and sold for relatively modest sums in the past 15 years, I could probably pay off my mortgage now.

It's not just cars, it's anything old, interesting and functional. I've got an interest in classic hi-fi (70's & 80's) and the values of some less common obje dar examples of that have nearly doubled in the past 2 years.

Who wouldn't want zero depreciation motoring?? I'm thinking of looking for a low mileage 480 Turbo...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 9th, 2021 at 18:25.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 19:23   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Who wouldn't want zero depreciation motoring??
No, no, and thrice no... that's not the idea at all!

What you're supposed to do is put pride before self-worth, and get into hock. Proceed to buy faux-status in vain attempts to impress people who don't like you. Thus, if you're even thinking more that a mo', finally the penny then drops, all this time you've been revealing more than you'd like.

Although if it were me, I wouldn't rush to any 850R, you can't 'drive' it. If you do too much of that, you take a hit. The Holy Grail, is a car we can actually 'drive' for zero ( or near it) as well. For that you want mine, and that's where I get my number from.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 9th, 2021 at 19:55.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 10:25   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...-classics.html

Who would have thought it - Austin Princess and Allegro appreciating assets?
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:23   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I liked the look of the Princess back in the early 80's, but they had such a reputation as rusting buckets of trouble I kept clear of buying one, I suppose if one exists now in a reasonably sorted condition it would have a nostalgic appeal and there surely won't be many left.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 20:15   #16
turboboy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ca...-classics.html

Who would have thought it - Austin Princess and Allegro appreciating assets?
Interesting article. I'm old enough to remember when most of those were current models, and owned one or two used examples, but the Triumph 1300 being a rival to the Triumph Dolomite Sprint? i don't think so. Had a neighbour who was a sales manager whose company car was a Dolly Sprint and he would have been most peeved if you said it was the same as a 1300.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 12:34   #17
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I 'get' it completely. Old cars are supposed to be daft. There's nothing more dull than a one-make collection of 25 Lamborghini, RRs, Ferrari or whatever. What a waste... do you really want to talk to the bloke? Clearly he's got a fat wallet... with a distinct lack of imagination. 25 Porsche? the bloke should be shot.

A collection requires humour, a few dogs in there. A Trabant, an Allegro, an Isseta bubble-car. A Reliant Regal van (in yellow of course?)

An original Peeble P50 goes for a mad price and I can see why.

Not sure a Princess would be my first choice, yet it'd be in there somewhere, precisely because it's awful.

It's tosh, yet I lust for a Bedford HA van in British Rail livery. Mine was issued to me when I still had acne. Drive those things flat-out and you're still legal. Great fun. Try that with your Volvo, let be a Lambo, and we know how that ends.

James Hunt's favourite car was his Austin A35 Van... for the same reason.

Yup, an HA for me, "with a cabin finished with the finest rubber floor mats available to humanity. ..... those with taste for the decadent could specify a passenger seat - £7 10s "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bedford HA.jpg (118.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 12th, 2021 at 13:39.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:47   #18
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
When driven around town and at light throttle, a highly tuned, large capacity normally aspirated engine is likely to be more efficient than a very low compression, smaller engine optimised for forced induction that isn't blowing...
I love the volvo I've owned it for about 12 years now 2 of my neighbours have hybrids and I have the crack with them that they are of settling my carbon footprint they are both tree huggers so as you can imagine that goes down well
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 22:27   #19
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

The empirical data isn't really out there but if you're driving an 850 or x70 I'd say the carbon costs of construction have long been defrayed compared to the carbon savings in fuel of any recent hybrid car, but don't tell the tree huggers that you'll upset them

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 12:36   #20
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
The empirical data isn't really out there but if you're driving an 850 or x70 I'd say the carbon costs of construction have long been defrayed compared to the carbon savings in fuel of any recent hybrid car, but don't tell the tree huggers that you'll upset them
O I do tell them we have lots of banter on the subject he's funny the owner he has a 2 stroke garden strimer and petrol mower which I enjoy taking the **** out of its all good clean fun
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewc1267 For This Useful Post: