Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Extended warrenty

Views : 1165

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 11:46   #1
Nicon

Default Extended warrenty

Hi All

I am getting really confused by the Volvo extended warranty.

I have an XC90 that is a a few weeks away from being 3 years old. I was told when I bought it that I would have the option to extend the warranty with Volve and they would get in touch with me. I was also told that I could only extend it if it was still in warranty.

I have not heard anything so I have just called my dealership and they said that they don't do the warranty themselves and gave me the number for Car Care Plan who administer their warranties. I am no expert but this does not sound like an extended manufactures warranty to me.

Anyone else had an extended warranty and was it with volvo?

Thanks
Nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 12:40   #2
larchdale
VOC member

I went through exactly the same process a couple of weeks ago. I, too, did not receive any reminder from Volvo UK or the dealer.

It transpires that Car Care Plan administrate the warranty for Volvo - it's the one you can buy via the Volvo UK website. I would imagine they also look after other back-office stuff like the service plan and Volvo Care breakdown assistance but I didn't go into it. They told me they mainly look after fleets and manufacturers, rather than retail to the public.

I spoke with a couple of very helpful people at both Volvo and Car Care Plan. The upshot was that it was best for me to buy the 1-year extension online via the Volvo website. I'm told this can be extended annually until the car is 10 years old or has reached 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, which seems pretty standard across warranty providers.

Note: there is no multi-year option, only an annual extension.

I've now bought a 1-year extension and received all the paperwork via email. I can confirm that it's registered with the dealers and seems to be a comprehensive extension of the 3-year manufacturer's warranty, so I'm happy.

Funnily enough, when I asked at my dealership, they offered to help me log on to the Volvo website and purchase the warranty! Handy, I suppose, if you're not web literate.

I hope that helps reassure you.
larchdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 12:50   #3
JamesN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicon View Post
Hi All

I have an XC90 that is a a few weeks away from being 3 years old. I was told when I bought it that I would have the option to extend the warranty with Volve and they would get in touch with me. I was also told that I could only extend it if it was still in warranty.

I have not heard anything so I have just called my dealership and they said that they don't do the warranty themselves and gave me the number for Car Care Plan who administer their warranties. I am no expert but this does not sound like an extended manufactures warranty to me.

Thanks

This is something I'm interested to know as well.

I just did a quick search and found an old thread with this link in it:

https://volvoextendedwarranty.motor-admin.com/

It's quoting £407 for the 3->4 year 60k mile extension on my S90.

According to the thread, you can also extend to 5 years via a dealer:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=262329&page=5

HTH,

J
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:35   #4
Whiterdesign
Master Member

You need to speak to your dealer, salesman knew nothing about it but dealer admin did. It’s a Volvo warranty by car care plan and you can extend for 2 years , it cost just over £800 for mine at Christmas
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:58   #5
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
You need to speak to your dealer, salesman knew nothing about it but dealer admin did. It’s a Volvo warranty by car care plan and you can extend for 2 years , it cost just over £800 for mine at Christmas
Not all dealers do it I had to arrange through Volvo be careful as some dealers want to sell own warranty
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 21:35   #6
techwatcher
Master Member

A couple of things on Volvo's Extended Warranty.

It isn't quite as comprehensive as the manufacturer warranty. The following items aren't covered:

Spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, hoses and pipes (power-assisted steering pressure pipes are covered), exhaust system and diesel particulate filter (catalytic converters are covered), clutch frictional material, brake shoes, pads and discs, lamps (LED lamps are covered providing at least 50% of the lighting has failed), bulbs (Bi-Xenon bulbs are covered), fuses, batteries, paintwork, body panels, body seals and weather strips, handles and hinges, cosmetic finishes, carpets and trim, upholstery, glass, wiper blades, wheels and tyres, the rectification of any oil leaks (unless the removal of a major unit is required) and the adjustment of any component, servicing, maintenance and normal wear and tear.

Also the car has to be serviced by a Volvo dealer for claims on the extended warranty to be valid.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 23:53   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicon View Post
Hi All

Thanks
Car Care plan have been administering Volvo UK's extended warranty claims for the last 30 + years .... Usually the dealer will contact them for you and do all the contact work if you present your problem to the service department ..
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 11:10   #8
js90
VOC Member

Just out of interest, for those of you that have purchased this in the past:

Have you ever had to use it?

How easy was the process?

Has it paid for itself or even saved you money in the long run?

I've never purchased it before, but with the SPA platform being (in my opinion) a ticking software time-bomb, I'm seriously considering it when the 3 year warranty runs out.

--Previous MY08 S40 2.0D Manual Barents Blue / MY16 XC60 D5 Manual Osmium Grey
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 11:14   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js90 View Post
Just out of interest, for those of you that have purchased this in the past:

Have you ever had to use it?

How easy was the process?

Has it paid for itself or even saved you money in the long run?

I've never purchased it before, but with the SPA platform being (in my opinion) a ticking software time-bomb, I'm seriously considering it when the 3 year warranty runs out.
They are a good company and are fair , they will send an inspector out if there is any dispute . They have had a close relationship with volvo dealers for 30 years so work well together in your interest .

You Will have a software time bomb if you choose not to have it updated every year at its service and this could be used against you if you make a claim ..
Old Jun 21st, 2021, 10:14   #10
Nicon

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to to a bit more digging this week and will update when I make a decision.
Nicon is offline   Reply With Quote