Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Styling advice for front of 1999 V70R

Views : 558

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 15:40   #1
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Styling advice for front of 1999 V70R

As above I have a 1999 v70R in silver it has the mesh upper grille and projector headlights and obviously the R front bumper I love the car but and most will disagree I do think it's ugly from the front I like the sides and rear I also think it looks like it sits to high from the front even though it's lowered 40mm on a spax kit

Does anyone do a splitter for the front or any other ideas thanks
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 20:56   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

It's all down to personal preference, Andrew, and in my personal opinion less is more with these and sticking to original parts has the best impact. Late C70 '03 to '05 genuine clear lens ("crystal") headlamps and indicators and "egg crate" bonnet grill transform the front end of the car and the light output is fantastic in comparison to the original patterned lenses. If keeping the car consider investing in new lamps as second hand examples can disappoint.

Forum user 'Dunkinbiscuits' (I think Volvo Composites on social media) make a fibreglass front splitter which can be fitted as standard or painted.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:07   #3
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
It's all down to personal preference, Andrew, and in my personal opinion less is more with these and sticking to original parts has the best impact. Late C70 '03 to '05 genuine clear lens ("crystal") headlamps and indicators and "egg crate" bonnet grill transform the front end of the car and the light output is fantastic in comparison to the original patterned lenses. If keeping the car consider investing in new lamps as second hand examples can disappoint.

Forum user 'Dunkinbiscuits' (I think Volvo Composites on social media) make a fibreglass front splitter which can be fitted as standard or painted.
Less is more is not really what I was looking for.The car already has ABM projector headlights with ABM indicators and LED headlight bulbs light output is fantastic and beam patterns perfect front splitter is worth a look possibly keep it black
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 12:29   #4
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge
Default Wot I done...

BTW I had PFV whizzy headlamps.

What I did with my V70 radiator grille - (when I had it)

Well... I got a spare, did it, then swapped them over.

What I did...

I got a bog standard V70 shiny chrome umpteen vertical bar grille with the standard 'slash and badge' and worked on it indoors:

* carefully removed the 'slash' and Volvo logo (well, everything was done carefully!). It does come off.
* rubbed down those vertical bars with fine wet-and-dry
* with araldite (or proper filler) 'levelled' the indentations where the old badge and slash was
* smoothed and keyed the vertical bars
* spayed them with satin black - but left the 'chrome' surround
* 'obtained' a 'spare' set of VOLVO letters (actually, the ones off my tailgate in my case!) and cleaned out the old sticky stuff in the hollow backing
* got some of those double-sided sticky pad thingies that they use for sticking "VOLVO" letters on to tailgates/boots and such similar tasks and filled the back of the letters
* tailored and then stuck the letters towards the top right-hand side of the radiator grille in a position that pleased me (and various others!)
* Ta-da

Sorry I ain't got a piccy of it any more... 'twas quite a while ago.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.

Last edited by christheancient; Jun 20th, 2021 at 12:33.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2021, 19:38   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Of course it's down to you, your car et al. Only careful, it's all too easy to leave 'tidy classic' and veer into 'sink-estate renegade'.

Barryboys.co.uk brings to mind.

It's a thin line you tread. One, or maybe two, very quiet mod(s) is usually all you've got. Else, you're telegraphing pride before self-respect, and spending time and money to do it.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 23rd, 2021 at 19:52.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 02:10   #6
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Of course it's down to you, your car et al. Only careful, it's all too easy to leave 'tidy classic' and veer into 'sink-estate renegade'.

Barryboys.co.uk brings to mind.

It's a thin line you tread. One, or maybe two, very quiet mod(s) is usually all you've got. Else, you're telegraphing pride before self-respect, and spending time and money to do it.
As I said before I like the car from the sides and rear all standard apart from comets being painted slightly darker than standard which was done by the previous owner I've had it about 10 12 ish years the car has a performance exhaust with twin tail pipes the car is fwd manual but the rear bumper has been replaced with one from an awd R again before I got it and front has factory R bumper which I like it just looks from the front that it to high its always bugged me but never got around to sorting it does anyone know how well the front splitter fits is it made properly for this car
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 10:19   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Ah, words paint a picture. The 'performance exhaust' has intent written right there. Methinks, it's rare to see this driven far.

Lest asphyxia strike us all, there's full stops and commas on eBay.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 24th, 2021 at 10:26.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 15:25   #8
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Ah, words paint a picture. The 'performance exhaust' has intent written right there. Methinks, it's rare to see this driven far.

Lest asphyxia strike us all, there's full stops and commas on eBay.
I used to use it every day but then I bought an E63 ANG and use that because its generally better on fuel I was going to sell the volvo but didn't which was a good move really because they are increasing in value plus I like it I did drive a couple of totally standard ones before i bought mine and honestly was very disappointed at how lazy they were

I got mine on 70k and has now covered 187k so I have used it

Last edited by andrewc1267; Jun 24th, 2021 at 15:30.