Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Permanent connection for battery charger

Views : 378

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 12:47   #1
BilboBagginss

Default Permanent connection for battery charger

MY11 D5 - looking to connect a trickle charger to the car - on a permanent plug in connection as compared to using crocodile clips as required.

Is the best place the live connection under the bonnet (top right hand corner) along with one of the earthing points on the side? Any issues with just unbolting the live connection in the car and putting the charger connection under it (the cable has a ring connector attached).

Best to disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes? Should anything need resetting afterwards (apart from clock and radio).

Many thanks.
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 13:26   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, do you have a tow bar with 13 pin electrics?

If so then pin 9 is a permanent live and I guess could be used for charging?

Also I believe the rear cargo cigar lighter socket is permanent 12v, I guess you could plug charger in there with the appropriate plug?

Hope this helps

John l

Last edited by john langrick; Jun 15th, 2021 at 13:31.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 14:47   #3
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I am using a 10 watt solar panel that I bought off Amazon and an old solar regulator I had kicking around.

I did have it connected (plugged in) to the OBD2 socket as that has a perm live terminal but now have it into the rear 12v socket (also perm live) as my CFE+ is in the OBD2

The solar panel sits on top of the dash with a long lead to the back and just gets moved around/disconnected when I need to drive the car or end up parked in a different place.

It keeps the battery topped up to 100% (as shown by my Bluetooth battery monitor)
https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/ctx-battery-sense

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 17:20   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBagginss View Post
Is the best place the live connection under the bonnet (top right hand corner) along with one of the earthing points on the side?
Electrically the connection under the bonnet is a good place but not one I'd use, there isn't much in the way of circuit protection between it and the battery so you'd have to be very careful about insulation and fuses.

I'd go for the fuse board at the RH side of the dash, just about everything in there is permanently live and I found the other day when looking for a switched live. Use a piggy-back or breakout fuse connector and depending on where you want the socket, you can run a cable through the grommet where the the bonnet release cable goes, maybe to the front grill?
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 17:25   #5
nickbw898

I have used this method with a Ctek Smart charger (Swedish). The ground was clamped to the lifting point on engine and positive to the + connection terminal at the back of the engine bay fuze box. Car was on standby charge for four years and there were zero issues.