Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to turn rear break caliper with tool??????????

Views : 746

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2021, 17:32   #1
VolvoRob38

Default How to turn rear break caliper with tool??????????

Hi guys, (c30 2009 1.6d)

As you've probably guessed from the title...

Trying to change rear pads & disks, bought a caliper rewind tool kit, but cant for the life of me get the bloody thing to wined in. So far managed about 1/4 turn. It doesn't help being suspended from a bunji cord. Ive even tried clamping it in place and using an extendable wrench to get better leverage, but Im dicing with danger there because I'll end up breaking the pipes, because cant clamp it firmly enough.
If the caliper was completely removed Id stand a better chance, but that means break fluid everywhere doesn't it?
I wish someone had told me what a **** of a job this is, then I might have just stumped up the £280 to the garage.
Anyone got any advice how to wined the caliper back in? Short of taking it to the garage. Although wheels off now so cant even drive it lol

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Jun 6th, 2021 at 17:34.
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 17:57   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Hi guys, (c30 2009 1.6d)

As you've probably guessed from the title...

Trying to change rear pads & disks, bought a caliper rewind tool kit, but cant for the life of me get the bloody thing to wined in. So far managed about 1/4 turn. It doesn't help being suspended from a bunji cord. Ive even tried clamping it in place and using an extendable wrench to get better leverage, but Im dicing with danger there because I'll end up breaking the pipes, because cant clamp it firmly enough.
If the caliper was completely removed Id stand a better chance, but that means break fluid everywhere doesn't it?
I wish someone had told me what a **** of a job this is, then I might have just stumped up the £280 to the garage.
Anyone got any advice how to wined the caliper back in? Short of taking it to the garage. Although wheels off now so cant even drive it lol
If it's got an electric handbrake then the motor needs to be removed and the shaft manually wound back OR (better in my opinion) the motor needs to be would back using a PP3 battery.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 18:57   #3
Wgl2020

Check you are trying to turn the piston the right way, not all are a standard right hand thread
Wgl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wgl2020 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 19:39   #4
VolvoRob38

Ye it was righthand thread... and Oh shoot, I hope it hasn't got an electric motor, as thats the first Ive heard lol.
Straight after posting this I went back to it and the bloody thing turned didnt it, pretty easy as well because I could turn it with some bull nosed pliers. I tried them first and bent them initially lol.

So thats all sorted now. Second nightmare was getting the pins back in the caliper, OMG! I was using grips, hammer, lots of grease and Irwin clamp to get the bastards back through the rubber sock.

Now to top of a **** day Ive gone and snapped my locking wheel nut when putting the wheel back on, over tightening again. Thats going to be a challenge getting that off now!
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 22:37   #5
Wgl2020

If the pins are really tight you may need to take the rubbers off and give the caliper a wire brush where they fit in.
I found on mine that the caliper had corroded and effectively pushed the rubbers in so they gripped the pins tight and caused some brake drag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wgl2020 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 00:06   #6
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Its good to get the car as high up off the ground as you can (SAFELY supported with axle stands of course) so that you can better maneuver yourself within in the wheelarch area.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 01:06   #7
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgl2020 View Post
If the pins are really tight you may need to take the rubbers off and give the caliper a wire brush where they fit in.
I found on mine that the caliper had corroded and effectively pushed the rubbers in so they gripped the pins tight and caused some brake drag.
How do you take the rubber off? I was thinking this today but it didn't look like it came off without damaging it.

Got to do the other one tomorrow, but think it'll go a bit easier now I know what Im doing.
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 12:46   #8
Wgl2020

Mine were knackered anyway so I just pulled them out with pliers and replaced with new.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 14:22   #9
big yinn

(I'm going to assume firstly that the caliper is free from the hub, that the handbrake is off and you've got the cap off the brake fluid reservoir).
It sounds to me like the piston is very tight in the bore, hence why it wont turn. Usually thats new caliper time. However, sometimes the flexible hose can break down and prevent fluid movement. Next try cracking the bleed nipple open and see if the piston retracts more easily. If it doesn't you're back to replacing the caliper, if it does, try replacing the flexible hose.
big yinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 09:38   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

With the pliers you can get it to turn but it's very hard to do the turning and pushing motion at the same time which is what the caliper rewind tool does.

Did you have the master cylinder cap open while doing this? If not all of that pressure would have been working against you.

If you did then the piston in the caliper itself may have been very stiff or seized, mine wasn't that hard to get turning with the tool.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote