Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 pv1800es

Views : 60517

Replies : 255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 08:02   #211
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Upon a review of the pictures, it appears you do have the mounting plate as original. (Possibly an opportunity for disassembly, cleaning up and a quick spray). So a proper clamp and bobbins will likely do the trick.
Many thanks. I'd say (at first sight) that the mounting plate and probably the pump are original, but the bracket is obviously a later bodge. I just need to find (maybe a coil bracket) or fabricate a bracket and pick up a couple of bobbins (eBay I should think) and that will probably solve the noisy fuel pump issue.

Many thanks for your help.

Alan

PS. I'm thinking this chap I just found in my spares box might just do the trick:

... it was attached to a coil. That plus a couple of bobbins for a fiver should do the trick. Watch this space.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 7th, 2021 at 09:49.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 14:45   #212
packers1712

Hi Alan, have you ordered any bobbins/AV mounts if not I can probably help you out I've got all sorts kicking around at work not being used just give me a rough idea on dimensions and I'll see what I've got!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 16:31   #213
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
Hi Alan, have you ordered any bobbins/AV mounts if not I can probably help you out I've got all sorts kicking around at work not being used just give me a rough idea on dimensions and I'll see what I've got!

Doug.
That was incredibly kind of you Doug - we ordered a couple (not expensive) just this morn. We should meet up again - Delores has improved quite a lot since you last saw. There might be a short delay - I'll send you a PM to explain.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 7th, 2021 at 16:40.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:22   #214
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
PS. I'm thinking this chap I just found in my spares box might just do the trick:

... it was attached to a coil. That plus a couple of bobbins for a fiver should do the trick. Watch this space.
That is the correct mounting bracket for an original D jet style Bosch fuel pump. If retrofitted with a more modern in-line pump, the pumps are usually smaller in diameter which requires the use of rubber fillers between the pump body and the bracket which never seem to really work well which leads to the cobbling of some other kind of bracket.

If you ever need to replace an original style D jet pump and want a new pump (all D jet pumps on the market are refurbished) with an exact fit, the pump used in the 80's vintage Nissan 280ZX and I believe the Nissan Maxima are exact fit replacements. Probably twice the price of a generic in-line pump; but, 1/2 the cost of a Bosch D jet refurb.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 20:58   #215
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
That is the correct mounting bracket for an original D jet style Bosch fuel pump.
Wouldn't it be a bizarre coincidence if that bracket turned out to be the right one for the fuel pump fitted to Delores! I'm not sure where it came from, it was in my spares box attached to a coil (I don't know which car it came with).

Alan
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 18:41   #216
Othen
Premier Member

'Janet' has sent me a message saying she took Delores on a 200 mile round trip to visit family today, here is a photo she included of Delores in Sherwood Forest as evidence:

She says Delores ran very well and was a pleasure to drive. I'm delighted, the motor car was fine and just needed putting together properly.

:-)
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 19:04   #217
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Great news Alan!

We also now know "Janets" real identity - she's obviously Maid Marion! Sherwood Forest and no sign of any arrow damage? Must be one of Robin Hoods gang, only one female member therefore "Janet" is indeed Maid Marion!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 13:33   #218
Derek UK
VOC Member

Looks very nice and in a great setting. The exhaust tips look as if they are set very low. As they are just clamped on they are easy to adjust. As they are it would be easy to back them into a kerb or low object. That can be damaging to the rest of the exhaust system.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 07:54   #219
Othen
Premier Member

Good morn chaps,
After an enforced lay-off of a month or so we are ready to nudge Project Delores Rocket along a bit more. Next week I want to get the exhaust hanger fixed, the fuel sender gasket and screws changed, the speedo drive put together the way Mr Volvo intended (with the dinky little Bendix cable bit), the fuel pump mounted properly and the oil changed to some nice, gloopy 20W50. Delores will be even nicer with those things fixed :-)

PS. Also the headlamps pointing in more of less the right directions )'Janet' tells me they are a bit 'dip and dazzle' at the mo).

Last edited by Othen; Jul 4th, 2021 at 07:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 11:54   #220
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That lot sounds quite ambitious Alan although most of it can be accomplished with one descent to the deck and meticulous planning of what tools/parts you need to complete all the underbody jobs. That way you only have to get vertical again once at the end.

Do you have an old "office chair" on wheels? Handy for scooting between headlamps as you adjust their aim without having to bend over too much to tweak the adjuster screws.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: