Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent VVT rattle only when warm

Views : 1598

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2021, 22:35   #1
Lordracula

Default Intermittent VVT rattle only when warm

Hi gents I bought a 2002 volvo v40 a few weeks ago which on the drive home I found had a VVT rattle with a P0011 error, I cleared the code and then it came back again so I changed the (extremely dirty) oil and cleaned the VVT solenoid & cleared the code and the code didn't come back after that but the noise remains.

One thing that has been predictable the whole time is that the VVT rattles along with an Oil light on the dash, the sound is only there when the oil light is on. Also, this rattle generally won't occur until about 11-12 miles into a trip after a cold start in the morning, when I unplug the vvt solenoid the rattle disappears and a check engine light comes on.

This sounds a bit unusual in that most blokes seem to get the rattle from cold whereas I've only really had it when the engine is warm along with a check oil light. I have no liquid cross-contamination in the oil or coolant and the engine runs great normally so it's left me a bit confused. I'm going to dump the oil out again tomorrow and put on a new oil filter.

I've ordered a new VVT solenoid & gasket to get that out of the way first incase the old one is sticky or catching debris, but i suppose it'd be safe to assume that the VVT pulley needs to be changed at some point?
Lordracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 12:02   #2
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

I'd be checking engine oil pressure if your light is coming on!
You should have saved your money, VVT replacement only cures a rattle, nothing else!
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 23:50   #3
Lordracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer49 View Post
I'd be checking engine oil pressure if your light is coming on!
You should have saved your money, VVT replacement only cures a rattle, nothing else!
Luckily I found out what the issues were and solved them, the oil pressure light was caused by a previous owner running the car for 1000s of miles with a stuck-open thermostat, the engine was running cold which presumably helped to cause engine sludge on top of some really old/black oil. I know this because you could scrape the black grit off the oil filler cap & grill with a screwdriver plus there was a little bit of gritty crap coming out of the sump plug.

The VVT rattle is a separate issue which I have solved temporarily by unplugging the solenoid, again probably ruined by the engine running on bad oil & stone cold temperatures.

Anyhow, I changed the oil/filter, the oil light issue eased off somewhat, did another oil change with an over the counter oil flush 200 miles later & then changed the thermostat so that the car would run at normal operating temperature, again eased off some more. However it only took roughly 13 miles to have the oil light come on and i would have quite a rough running engine anyway. I then decided to take drastic action about 700 miles after this change

I bought 3 litre of diesel and then added 2 litres of some spare cheap oil to the mix, shook it about, then dumped my old oil out and replaced it with the diesel mix. Ran the engine for 20 mins and dumped all that crap out and replaced it with 20w50 mineral oil. Now about 300 miles later my car is running much smoother and no oil light and rarely rattles on start-up now. It's not perfect but the oil is staying very clean so far which surprised me. The diesel/oil flushing mix though not recommended is far more effective and affordable than that snake oil you buy from the motor factors. I'm going to do it again in a month's time to keep flushing the crap out of it.

I was tempted to sell the car when I first posted but to be honest it's redeemed itself quite well, I didn't think it would come back to life like it has and it is a pleasure to drive. I don't worry at all now I've done the diesel flush.

TLDR

1. VVT Rattle? Unplug your VVT solenoid.

2. Oil pressure light? Flush engine with diesel/oil 60/40 mix then re-assess.

Last edited by Lordracula; Apr 9th, 2021 at 23:52.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lordracula For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 18:38   #4
MisterMan

I have the rattle but she still here when solenoid are unplugged... Any Idea ? Only 80k miles on the clock
MisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2021, 20:03   #5
Lordracula

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
I have the rattle but she still here when solenoid are unplugged... Any Idea ? Only 80k miles on the clock
I bought a new solenoid first but it didn't do much for me so I replaced the intake camshaft VVT pulley with a Ridex aftermarket part and it has been good as new with no rattles for 400 miles so far.
Old May 18th, 2021, 21:06   #6
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordracula View Post
I bought a new solenoid first but it didn't do much for me so I replaced the intake camshaft VVT pulley with a Ridex aftermarket part and it has been good as new with no rattles for 400 miles so far.
I never knew that there was an aftermarket VVT pulley alternative to original volvo VVT pulley. Or is this a non VVT pulley that does away with VVT function completely?.. Where are these available from ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 20:27   #7
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

The "genuine" part is manufactured by Aisin and can be branded VOLVO in the bag.
I paid £100 or so for mine. Waste of money.
Old May 19th, 2021, 21:46   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordracula View Post

I bought 3 litre of diesel and then added 2 litres of some spare cheap oil to the mix, shook it about, then dumped my old oil out and replaced it with the diesel mix. Ran the engine for 20 mins and dumped all that crap out and replaced it with 20w50 mineral oil. Now about 300 miles later my car is running much smoother and no oil light and rarely rattles on start-up now. It's not perfect but the oil is staying very clean so far which surprised me. The diesel/oil flushing mix though not recommended is far more effective and affordable than that snake oil you buy from the motor factors. I'm going to do it again in a month's time to keep flushing the crap out of it.

I was tempted to sell the car when I first posted but to be honest it's redeemed itself quite well, I didn't think it would come back to life like it has and it is a pleasure to drive. I don't worry at all now I've done the diesel flush.

TLDR

1. VVT Rattle? Unplug your VVT solenoid.

2. Oil pressure light? Flush engine with diesel/oil 60/40 mix then re-assess.
Instead of using 20W50 mineral oil, try either the recommended oil or 10W40 semi-synth, whichever is heavier when you next do an oil change. However, for the first 0.5L into the sump, replace it with Carlube ATF-U so that's 0.5L of ATF-U then top up to the level with 10W40 semi-synth.

Works a treat on Honda VTEC and any engines with hydraulic tappets. Keeps things clean, moving, rubber seals supple and many other things. I use it all the time in both of my beasts, only one of which has hydraulic tappets. However i do know many that use it to help the VTEC keep working.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote