Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear light cluster seal

Views : 390

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 16:33   #1
Andymharrison

Default Rear light cluster seal

Does anyone know if there is a seal available that fits between the rear light cluster and car body?

During the summer a neighbour clipped the rear light of our XC90 with his wing mirror and broke quite a bit of the plastic.

He's a taxi driver and was pretty mortified at a botched parking job and insisted on sorting it out.

I'd have been happy if he'd got something from a breaker but he bought new and fitted it. Must have cost him a fortune.

Anyway, since then I've noticed that side is getting full of condensation. Taking it off and comparing to the original on the other side there is no seal between it and the car.

I assume it should have been taken off the old one and moved over, but that is long since in the bin.

Does anyone know what part this would be? VIDA doesn't show anything.

I assume a bit of weatherproof foam tape will sort it but I'd like to put the right thing on if it can be found at a sensible price.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 19:15   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi

On my my03 there is no seal that I have ever noticed.

I have since replace by the later model rear lights and still no seal.

Looking at the design, I would expect water ingress would not be an issue.

Hope this helps
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 20:09   #3
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

There are foam pads that cover the mounting posts to the body, but I always thought that was to stop water ingress to the body shell, dont think I have ever seen a seal on the edges for the cluster.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 09:07   #4
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Do you mean you are getting condensation inside the lens? I have the later LED lens which suffers from water ingress/condensation at the edge which is annoying but I just live with it. Has not got worse over the last few years.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 10:35   #5
cbv8

The only seals are on the actual bulb holders that fit into the light unit i had water ingress from my cracked old unit which i have just replaced with a new hella one but the bulb holders were a really tight fit but the water ingress has stopped.
cbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 12:16   #6
Andymharrison

I'm away at the moment but will check once I get home, I was sure I had seen a black seal around the inner edge of the unit that hasn't been replaced.

If its not meant to be there at least nothing is missing and I can see what else is letting the condensation in. Perhaps the bulb holders are too loose.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 10:33   #7
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
I'm away at the moment but will check once I get home, I was sure I had seen a black seal around the inner edge of the unit that hasn't been replaced.

If its not meant to be there at least nothing is missing and I can see what else is letting the condensation in. Perhaps the bulb holders are too loose.
Perhaps compare it for fitment etc with the (non leaking) light on the other side ? You may need to loosen/remove it to compare ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 15:08   #8
Andymharrison

Well I finally got a chance to look at this. The drivers side unit, the old one, does have a black rubber seal around the edge but with it off the car for a closer look it is definitely not original.

A previous owner must have had an issue with that unit, it does have a small crack that has been sealed with some kind of glass tape. Its been like it for longer than the 5 years I've had the car and showing no signs of leaking so I've always left it alone.

So it looks as though the condensation in my new unit has a different source and nothing is missing after all.

Time to bring it indoors for a few hours in the food dehydrator, next time the wife is out!, before investigating the bulb holders.