Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight adjustment for Europe

Views : 13564

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2020, 12:54   #1
Knappo

Default Headlight adjustment for Europe

Happy (slightly different) Easter all

I am driving from the UK to Denmark this week, and want to adjust my headlights for driving on the right hand side.

My car is a MY19 Volvo (obvs) V90 Cross Country Ocean Race T6 polestar, and the manual (and VOC) tells me that there is a function under My Car - lights and lighting- exterior lights that enables one to set temporary right hand driving...except that menu doesn’t exist in my sensus.

Any pointers anyone?? Will it automatically adapt the beam pattern when I get off the ferry? Or do I need to pack some electrical tape?

Thanks in advance
Knappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 13:11   #2
Moonlanders

I'm not pre-judging and don't know your circumstances, but... essential journey???

And on a logistical point, how do get out of the UK in the first place?
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 13:26   #3
Knappo

Hi Moonlander

Thanks for your concern, it is wholly an essential journey as a key worker...

I’ll be taking the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland.

Any input on the headlight issue?

Best

Knappo
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 13:59   #4
Moonlanders

In that case I applaud you and thank you for your work.

Unfortunately I cannot help on the lights. I've only had my car 3 weeks and driven 27 miles in total! I am interested in any responses you get as, subject to holiday restrictions being lifted, I plan to drive to the Netherlands in August.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 14:09   #5
m2srt

According to the XC60 handbook, although I find it somewhat implausible, the headlights don't dazzle when driving on the opposite side. We have the basic LED headlights.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m2srt For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 16:11   #6
dchbrown

There are two options depending on whether you have adaptive headlights or not.

If you dont have the bending headlights then no adjustment is required as the beam pattern is totally flat apparently. I've got that in writing from Volvo customer services and have used it in France without issue several times.

If you do have bending headlights there is an option in the Sensus system to change them. It's just an option to select to change them when you need it.

If you haven't got the option in the menus then you don't need to do anything to them.

Hope that helps
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 16:11   #7
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo View Post
Happy (slightly different) Easter all

I am driving from the UK to Denmark this week, and want to adjust my headlights for driving on the right hand side.

My car is a MY19 Volvo (obvs) V90 Cross Country Ocean Race T6 polestar, and the manual (and VOC) tells me that there is a function under My Car - lights and lighting- exterior lights that enables one to set temporary right hand driving...except that menu doesn’t exist in my sensus.

Any pointers anyone?? Will it automatically adapt the beam pattern when I get off the ferry? Or do I need to pack some electrical tape?

Thanks in advance

Hi. Only the early SPA Volvos have this option to change it manually via the Sensus. For the latest models you don't need to do anything, because the beam is flat and does not dazzle oncoming traffic.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo s60 2001 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 16:21   #8
Knappo

Great thanks, I’ll rely on that...I have adaptive headlights, so should be fine. If the Dutch, Germans or Danes start flashing me Ill assume it’s not for the love of the British and that instead I’m dazzling them. I’m actually driving during the daytime bar delays so could be all a bit moot.

Thanks again all
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 18:48   #9
Tresco85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchbrown View Post
There are two options depending on whether you have adaptive headlights or not.

If you dont have the bending headlights then no adjustment is required as the beam pattern is totally flat apparently. I've got that in writing from Volvo customer services and have used it in France without issue several times.

If you do have bending headlights there is an option in the Sensus system to change them. It's just an option to select to change them when you need it.

If you haven't got the option in the menus then you don't need to do anything to them.

Hope that helps
We have the bending headlights and there is no option to change them you don't need to do anything.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 19:29   #10
warwick

I can also confirm the standard LED`s do not dazzle on coming traffic on the continent. You may think as I did the dip lights appear to tend to the UK nearside and its not easy to see the cut off (unlike Merc headlights) but I`ve never been flashed and you do find out pretty quick if you are dazzling!
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to warwick For This Useful Post: