Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 2009 1.6d Emissions Light

Views : 1151

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2016, 14:39   #1
AnneN

Default C30 2009 1.6d Emissions Light

Hi,

I have a 2009 R-Design SE D, mileage is 54k. I'm 2nd owner and has been dealer serviced since new. Service is due now.

Approx 6 months ago was losing power etc, after some research I thought it could be DPF. An independent diagnostic centre confirmed DPF and they steam cleaned. Car ran perfectly since then.

The service light came on around a month ago. 2 days ago the overdue service light came on and yesterday the engine emission light came on - I have noticed some sluggishness in the last few days.

I'm booked in for service next week but would like to be armed with some knowledge before being bamboozled by main dealer with lots of jargon.

I'm not 100% sure if my car has the dreaded PSA engine - can anyone tell me how to find out?

Could the DPF filter cause the engine emission light to come on?

Should the DPF need replacing now?

Before the service next week would it be a good idea to take it back independent diagnostic centre to get their view on it and would you let them carry out any work to correct?

Sorry for the long post. I prefer to use a Volvo dealer for yearly servicing but just don't want to get stung with a huge bill for something and not to have some prior knowledge about what could be ahead. I'm also paranoid that lots of unnecessary 'extras' can be added to the bill when you are someone who knows little about cars and is female!

Thank you in advance.
AnneN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 06:26   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

whats psa?

does it have dosing tank if so is it empty ,what about dpf pressure hoses are they burts ideally u need codes read friend,,

i thought there were only 2x engines fitted 1.6 diesel 76 and 84 the 76 is 16 valve and 84 is 8 valve ,,,,

regards...
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 08:03   #3
JRL
Master Member

Try an Italian tune up. Find a nice stretch or road, preferably a dual carriageway or motorway ( not been in Galway for years so not sure of the roads down there) and run the car at around 60 mph in fourth for twenty to thirty minutes. DPF's don't like short runs or in the case of the DPF in my D5 long runs in 6th!

The steam cleaning would suggest the DPF isn't being regenerated.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 14:54   #4
paddyred
Master Member

Well Ford works with Peugeot on quite a lot of the engines apart from the T5 as that's a Volvo engine that Ford steal for the ST and RS focus. So if its a 2.0D, yes its a PSA (Peugeot Citroen group) and yes, its a good engine but comes with a few faults as do most engines. Yes a blocked dpf can cause the emission light to come on. Its a little early to be coming up though as 75k is replacement time. Do you do many motorway miles?