Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 speedometer problems

Views : 431

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2023, 18:03   #1
Volvo3000

Default Volvo 940 speedometer problems

Does anyone have experience with Volvo 940 speedometers and dashboards?

I have a 1992 940 and the speedometer stopped working. I had the dashboard pod taken out, sent it away to be repaired and got it back. When the repaired unit was put in the speedometer reads 0 when I turn on the engine. The moment I drive it reads 10mph and then stays there when the car is stopped. When the car is driven to about 5mph it reads 15mph etc. Also now the petrol gauge which worked before reads empty with the petrol warning light on - but it has petrol in it and was working before I sent it away.

The repair people I used are a reputable company, and said they will take it back and test it and fix it at no charge. They said it was tested as working before they sent it to me/ Is there anyone else who encountered these sort of problems?

Something else I noticed was that the speedometer dial, since it was repaired, is a slightly darker shade of black than the rest of the dasboard, suggesting it could have been swapped with one they had.

Also, I originally tried to get a replacement 940 dashboard pod from a Volvo breakers, unfortunately they sold me one that has different connections on the back and is from a different car or year.

I don't want it to reach the point of having to scrap my car because I can't get a working speedometer.

Last edited by Volvo3000; Oct 27th, 2023 at 18:09.
Volvo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2023, 19:08   #2
Paulk

As a last resort you could use a SAT Nav to indicate speed?
Old Oct 27th, 2023, 19:37   #3
bob12
bob12

As it's a 1992 940, my first question would be ABS or not as maybe you have a sensor problem with your (I assume Yazaki) oem cluster? Thereafter, I leave it to the Yazaki professionals on here.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2023, 20:02   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

I have tinkered with speedometer problems on several 940s over the years. All in my experience have been due to dry joints on the flimsy PCB on the back of the cluster. Whilst soldering has helped in the short term for a permanent repair I have always ended up replacing the cluster and transferring the speedometer instrument in order to retain the correct mileage.

There are a number of other things that can go wrong including the wiring near the speed sensor in the diff and capacitors in the actual instrument itself. Have a look at these links, if you haven’t already, for more information.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ele...eterRepair.htm

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ele...ngeability.htm

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ele...anelRepair.htm

There is a multi-plug in the spare wheel compartment which will enable you to access the fuel gauge wiring. The two thinner wires. The thicker ones are for the in-tank pump. If you separate this connector you can test the resistance across the tank float. It should be in the range 40 to 300 ohms. If it’s vastly outside this the sender might be faulty. You could also try placing suitable resistors across the two thinner wires back to the gauge to test the gauge.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2023, 21:01   #5
Volvo3000

Thanks

I actually have a GPS speedometer, but GPS isn't valid for MOT. Also it would be nice to have the proper speedometer working.

I thought it was the capacitors. The fuel gauge was working a week ago when the cluster was taken off. Also I tried a cluster from another 1992 940 (it was off a manual, mine is an auto), the backlight didn't work for some reason but the fuel gauge worked. It seems there were even differences between them in 1992. Mine has an outdoor temperature sensor while the other 1992 one didn't.

The one I had repaired does go up as I drive faster and down to 10mph when I stop, it just reads faster than I'm going.
Volvo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 12:02   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

The ambient temperature gauge is a separate unit. If you look carefully you will see it is attached to the cluster by two brass screws. You simply undo these, remove the corresponding blanking plate on your replacement cluster and carefully attach your original gauge to the new cluster. Be sure to check it has slotted properly into position or you risk breaking the screw hole tabs off it.

It is fairly easy to transfer other instruments between clusters but the rest require you to remove the perspex front and take a lot of care not to damage the fragile zero stop pins and needles.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote