Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

760 GLE Heater problems

Views : 658

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 14:51   #1
LJB

Default 760 GLE Heater problems

Hi all, yes I am here again asking about another problem with my 760 GLE. The only way I seem to be able to get hot air to come out of the heater/ventilation system is to set the controls to the hottest setting and the fan speed to full. I have noticed that the heater water valve (under the bonnet) is operating every few seconds. Might it be a problem with this valve ? or might a vacuum pipe have come adrift some where? or perhaps a problem with the control itself. Any info would be gratefully received.
P.S. The car has Air Con and climate control.
Regards
LJB
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 14:55   #2
Jim760
Mr G

could well be a vac leak, eather on the valve or in the pipe somewhere trace it back and see what you find. ou could try holding the valve open, the let it out a bit, and see if its still trying to pull it fully open, also see how much resistance its giving. if the vac line is split and your holding the valve, it wont have the strength to pull it open id of thought, give it a go, see what you dig up.
Jim
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 14:34   #3
MTerry
Bored Member

I'm assuming it never has heat no matter how long you drive. The first of my new winter glitches is that it won't come up to temperature for about 10 miles, so I don't have any heat to speak of until then. Have you looked at the temp gauge? I know this is a dumb question, but then again, I've learned not to guess.
Gloria - '93 244 in Ruby Red Metallic
Sandy Blu - '07 C70, Celestial Blue
MTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 20:11   #4
LJB

Default Heater problems

Hi MTerry, even after the car has reached normal running temperature the only way I can get any heat is to have the fan running at full speed, I think Jim760 might be on the right track with this one but thanks for your thoughts anyway,
Regards
LJB
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 22:10   #5
hawaiianblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTerry View Post
I'm assuming it never has heat no matter how long you drive. The first of my new winter glitches is that it won't come up to temperature for about 10 miles, so I don't have any heat to speak of until then. Have you looked at the temp gauge? I know this is a dumb question, but then again, I've learned not to guess.
Mterry, i think your problem is different to the one LJB is having;
If you're car isnt coming up to temperature quickly enough, then the engine thermostat is stuck open. The engine is pumping coolant around the radiator from start so it takes ages to get up to temp, whereas it should be closed when cold to allow the engine to reach temp, then open to keep it from over heating.
hawaiianblue is offline   Reply With Quote