Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello, Help with a V60 1.6d MY11 Please

Views : 1275

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 20:29   #1
Cityfan1

Default Hello, Help with a V60 1.6d MY11 Please

Hello All, I am new to this forum but I am also new to Volvo's.
Purchased a Volvo V60 MY61 with the PSA 1.6 diesel engine and it's a Manual.

When I purchased the car second hand, the previous owner must have taken the car out to get it warm as the fault didn't happen then.
I did look for the engine temp indicator but was surprised to see it doesn't have one.

Drove home approximately 200 miles. Not an issue. Have no idea what to compare it to but it did make the journey home. I only achieved 43mpg which I was expecting a lot more especially being sat at 70mph on cruise and the occasional blip to 75-80mph for an overtake. The only reason for purchase was the advertised economy and cheap road tax.

The next day when starting, the car was smoking quite a lot, white and blue, it had a horrible diesel and sulphur smell. When touching the accelerator, it is lumpy as anything. Its been anywhere between 9 and 13 degrees this past week around mid day so thought its not cold so why is this happening?

So far, Replaced all 4 Glow plugs (Bosch brand).
Replaced Glow plug controller (GSF special)
Replaced Diesel Filter (OEM Volvo)

No change

NO Engine management light on.

Ordered a new Engine coolant temp sensor (Febi - Hasn't arrived yet)
When unplugging the engine coolant temp sensor I do get approximately 7v for a few seconds on the glow plugs.
I don't think this is glow plug related at all.

I have Vida 2014d (helps with dismantling, location and part no's)
I have just ordered a mongoose cable (same functionality as dice). Hopefully this will help me find the issue.

I have unplugged the MAF but the idle isn't that bad. You could say it does become ever so slightly smoother. BUT as soon as you touch the accelerator its missing and smoking. I have read online that even when you press the accelerator with the MAF disconnected the EGR will open and it does shudder again. All of this disappears when the engine is warm. why doesn't the EGR affect the car when it's warm?

I also disconnected the 5 pin plug going to the EGR when the car was running and pressed the accelerator and it was still lumpy making me think, is it even the EGR at fault? That really threw me, up until then I thought I was getting somewhere. My friend then said that the EGR could be stuck open slightly hence when you disconnected the EGR it still didn't make a difference to lump throttle response. Unplugging the EGR did give me an EML but not bothered as with the new cable will be able to delete code.

I hope this isn't a question that is always asked but I have been searching the internet on and off for days before having to ask for myself.
Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
Even with these faults I've read of garages that haven't been very successful or the thread just ends without any closure.

I keep telling myself stay away from blaming the injectors as its something I have no control over or having to book the car in. The car also performs ok when warm.

I am not a mechanic, I am willing to try any suggestions and hopefully someone on here has had the same issue as me and can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for reading
Cityfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d4162t, egr, misfine, smoke, v60