Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Accessories sockets not working

Views : 8890

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2016, 14:14   #1
october37

Default Accessories sockets not working

The 12v sockets on the front dash and rear seat passenger area of my 2007 XC90 185 dont work, although the 12v outlet in the cargo area is ok, I have checked fuse3 on the cargo area fuse board which my handbook states is for accessories and its ok. Anyone any idea what could be wrong?
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 14:53   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

presume you're checking with the ignition on?
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 15:39   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
Indeed, as per the Owner's Manual:

Electric socket, (standard)/Cigarette lighter*
The electrical socket can be used for 12 V accessories, such as mobile phone chargers and coolers.
The ignition key must be at least in position I so that the socket can supply power.

Electrical socket in the rear seat
The electrical socket can be used for various accessories, such as mobile phone chargers and coolers. It is designed for 12 V. The maximum current is 10 A. For the socket to supply current, the ignition key must be in at least position I.

Electrical socket in cargo area
Slide down the cover when you wish to use the socket. It works regardless of whether the ignition is on or off.
If the ignition is switched off and a power consumer that uses more than 0.1 A is connected to the electric socket, a warning message is shown in the display.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 17:06   #4
october37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
Yes Paul, I served my time at a large Garage as a Vehicle Electrical Technician in the old days when we had to repair things rather than fit a replacement unit. I must admit that this has got me beaten though.
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 17:31   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37 View Post
Yes Paul, I served my time at a large Garage as a Vehicle Electrical Technician in the old days when we had to repair things rather than fit a replacement unit. I must admit that this has got me beaten though.
Time to refer to the wiring diagram
I'll reference the 2008 XC90 wiring diagram

The devices we want are
Device 9/1 Outlet 12V front
Device 9/25 Outlet 12V rear

The CEM is connected via Fuse F11 from CEM pin A:17 directly to the front 12V outlet using a violet (VO) wire
This wire then continues further to pin 12 of connector 54/134 and then to the rear 12V outlet.
Fuse F11 on the CEM is fed from pin E:B, which in turn comes from fuse 4 on the battery fuse block. If this fuse was blown you'd have multiple devices without power, so F4 must be OK

Diagnose in this order:
Confirm 12V exists on fuse F11 with the ignition is ON
Confirm also 12V exists on fuses F1, F2, F13-F16, F26-F30 and F33. They all get their power from F4 at the battery.
Measure the fuse F11 with an ohmmeter
Confirm 12V exists on pin A:17 of the CEM (VO wire), this happens after the fuse F11
Confirm both outlets are connected together by checking continuity between the center 12V from the rear to the front outlet
Confirm continuity from fuse F11 to the front 12V outlet

If all is OK and you have 12V on fuse F11 but nothing on pin A:17 then it can only be a faulty CEM, remove and send to the guy in London that repairs them cheaply.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 11:48   #6
october37

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Info. I have just received a Workshop Manual and found that Fuse 11 on the CEM covers the two forward outlets. I dont know why this isnt shown in the Owners Handbook. Hopefully when it stops raining I will be able to check if the fault lies there.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 15:32   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the Info. I have just received a Workshop Manual and found that Fuse 11 on the CEM covers the two forward outlets. I dont know why this isnt shown in the Owners Handbook. Hopefully when it stops raining I will be able to check if the fault lies there.
Good to know that the Volvo Workshop Manual is consistent with the Volvo Wiring Diagram
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 19:02   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
This is shown in this pdf version of the 2007 XC90 0wner's Manual:

Quote:
Fuse box in the passenger compartment, behind the plastic cover, driver's side
This fuse box is located behind the plastic cover below the steering wheel. When replacing a blown fuse,
be sure to replace it with a new one of the same color and amperage (written on the fuse).
No. Amperage
1. Heated passenger's seat 15
2. Heated driver's seat 15
3. Horn 15
4. -
5. Audio system 10
6. -
7. -
8. Alarm siren 5
9. Brake light switch feed 5
10. Instrument panel, climate system, power driver's seat, Occupant Weight Sensor 10
11. 12-volt sockets - front and rear seats 15
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/webmanu...nersManual.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 16:45   #9
october37

Talking

Quote:
Replaced fuse No11 in the passenger fuse box and all is well. Cant say the access to the fusebox is very user friendly, one needs to be very agile or a contortionist to be able to get under the dash to get the cover off, not a 17stone 78 years old pensioner with Arthritis like me. Probably designed to make it necessary to employ a Volvo Stealer to do the job.
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 21:20   #10
Hardinc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Time to refer to the wiring diagram
I'll reference the 2008 XC90 wiring diagram

The devices we want are
Device 9/1 Outlet 12V front
Device 9/25 Outlet 12V rear

The CEM is connected via Fuse F11 from CEM pin A:17 directly to the front 12V outlet using a violet (VO) wire
This wire then continues further to pin 12 of connector 54/134 and then to the rear 12V outlet.
Fuse F11 on the CEM is fed from pin E:B, which in turn comes from fuse 4 on the battery fuse block. If this fuse was blown you'd have multiple devices without power, so F4 must be OK

Diagnose in this order:
Confirm 12V exists on fuse F11 with the ignition is ON
Confirm also 12V exists on fuses F1, F2, F13-F16, F26-F30 and F33. They all get their power from F4 at the battery.
Measure the fuse F11 with an ohmmeter
Confirm 12V exists on pin A:17 of the CEM (VO wire), this happens after the fuse F11
Confirm both outlets are connected together by checking continuity between the center 12V from the rear to the front outlet
Confirm continuity from fuse F11 to the front 12V outlet

If all is OK and you have 12V on fuse F11 but nothing on pin A:17 then it can only be a faulty CEM, remove and send to the guy in London that repairs them cheaply.

I have a similar issue but 0v at fuse f11. When I bought the car (2013 XC90 D5 AUTO) it had aftermarket dvd head rests with power taken from center console outlet wiring and jumper off fuse 11 for dashcam. All work when powered from external supply. I am wondering whether the circuit had been overloaded and shut down by CEM for safety. Would this be possible? Would any codes be shown relating to this? I have since removed the headrests and repaired the wiring and currently using an extension from boot for phone charger.
Hardinc4 is offline   Reply With Quote