Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your S80/V70/XC70 today?

Views : 540313

Replies : 490

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2022, 09:13   #371
big_yin

Default Xc70

Not today but purchased a 2010 VOLVO XC70 2.4 D5 205 AWD GEARTRONIC on Tuesday . It has 129000 miles on the clock . The forum already helped me via the search where ingnition position 2 can be found and where the buttons for the sat nav are. I don't think there is a disc in the DVD player but will see later today.

Will have a look at the filters etc this weekend to see what the state is and take it from there
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 11:21   #372
FloydV70
2008 V70 SE Sport D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobot View Post
Any tips on how to do this? I have a few that have peeled off and are now white.
I got a piece of white paper and offered it up to one of the parking sensors and rubbed my finger around the sensor. This gave an imprint on the paper of the diameter of the sensor. I then used that to make a card template (card from a cereal box is perfect for this) with an exact hole cut out. I then cleaned the face of the sensor with surgical spirit to make sure the paint had a clean surface to stick to. Put the card template over the sensor making sure the hole was exact showing only the face of the sensor and secured with masking tape. I then painted the sensor with a spray can of the exact colour. I waited for 15 minutes and gave it another coat. I made the mistake of jet washing the car a few days after painting and it flaked off. I did this whole process again. This time I left the paint for 2 weeks before using a jet washer. The paint didn't flake off.
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 17:47   #373
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Default New Jetex stainless steel sport exhaust

I finally got the Jetex stainless steel sport exhaust fitted to my car that i have owned for a year. I had already fitted a T6 rear bumper with large twin cutouts (not the shallower ones on a standard R Design or similar that needs oval exhausts).

Am so, so pleased with the sound and the improved throttle pick up from improved gas flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3686 copy.jpg (379.4 KB, 13 views)

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simboc2004 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 14:05   #374
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Thought I'd have a stab at refreshing the power steering fluid as the steering has felt a little heavy after that of our other car when parking or slow speed manoeuvring. Got 2 litres of fluid from Halfords - £21.58 for 2 litres of CHF11S delivered. I'd already watched the video from SiRobb, and while it doesn't deliver the full-fat experience of the 'Volvosweden' (?) channel, it doesn't involve the same degree of dismantling.
First problem, the reservoir on our P3 is different to the one in SiRobb's video. Syphoning worked, but each attempt netted only around 100cc of fluid, which was a bit mucky, but not horrendous.
It was then a case of syphon, top-up, lock-to-lock a few times, syphon, top-up several times until the fluid looked clean-ish. I'll then run it for a day or two and do the same again.
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 17:07   #375
Carman15

My new to me S80 had the diagnostic port just hanging by its wiring, the plastic fixing having been broken.. The car has a full Volvo dealer service record so it must have been done by a ham fisted Volvo mechanic who then decided to just leave it hanging!

My drill and a self tapping screw has secured it for now.
Carman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 18:33   #376
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Gave the glowplugs a squirt of penetrating oil while trying to decide whether it's a job for me or my local spanner man. Been spraying them for a few days now, but no closer to making a decision. YouTube tells me it's easy if it goes well, but a pig if you snap one.
I've got 2 dead plugs and had been thinking of changing all 5, though I'm not sure of the logic of that. If you have 5 light bulbs in your house and 2 fail would you change all 5?
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 22:04   #377
pjm84

New Bridgestone A005 tyres all round.

The car came with a set of half worn Maxxis Premitra summer tyres. Just plain horrible with a wobble through the tyres when cold. So variable, it could only be the tyres and it was.
pjm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 09:41   #378
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
Gave the glowplugs a squirt of penetrating oil while trying to decide whether it's a job for me or my local spanner man. Been spraying them for a few days now, but no closer to making a decision. YouTube tells me it's easy if it goes well, but a pig if you snap one.
I've got 2 dead plugs and had been thinking of changing all 5, though I'm not sure of the logic of that. If you have 5 light bulbs in your house and 2 fail would you change all 5?
The difference is, its not a hard job to change a light bulb and a light bulb won't leave you stranded like a set of glow plugs will when you can't start your car in sub zero temperatures.

Sometimes its best, especially if a local spanner man is doing the job, to just bite the bullet and replace all. Then you have the peace of mind that they're done and you won't have to pay labour again when the others fail. Although, glow plugs aren't cheap for a full set and I understand why people don't replace all of them.

My recommendation would be to buy decent replacement plugs (not cheap ones because they won't last) and make sure you test the others. If the others are weak too, then it makes sense to replace them at the same time because you/spanner man is working in the area anyway. If you test the others and they're okay, then just replace what you need. Don't just assume the others are fine because the car has started without 2 of them for a while... test them. The chances are they've had more strain put on them trying to compensate for the ones that were dead, which in turn makes them weak.

Last edited by Kev0607; Dec 9th, 2022 at 09:53.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 15:22   #379
ferdinotch

went under the car to find out where this terrible noise is coming from. It's the kind of metal rubbing noise that I hate, only doing it's thing on very small bumps, not on big ones.

I first thought that it would be a swaybar rod, but nothing.

I found out that my steering rod is moving too easily on the passenger side, so it will be changed verysoon
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 14:12   #380
Bomster

Found it's (much cleaner) twin.
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote