Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 P3 2011 D3 purchase advice

Views : 626

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 15:37   #1
Drumeo

Default V70 P3 2011 D3 purchase advice

Hi guys,

I've recently test driven a nice V70 P3 D3 @140k miles in the plan to buy and was happy with everything except the fact it's just gone through an MOT and has the following advisories:

Coil spring corroded Both Rear (5.3.1 (b) (i))

Front Inner Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge Both (5.2.3 (e))

Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

The most alarming is the coils and the inner tyre wear.

The tyre wear either suggests there's some toe out/ negative camber or wear in the control arm bushes or all of that? Best case there's some toe out and it can be adjusted out. However, with 140k on the clock, I'm thinking chances are high that bushes are worn. Anyone have experience of when these are likely to go? I know it depends on driving style/roads but it would be nice to get some sort of idea- same goes with the rear coil springs?

Thanks in advance! I really want to get this car! But I'm struggling to justify getting something that will need a load of work straight away!
Drumeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 16:25   #2
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumeo View Post
Hi guys,

I've recently test driven a nice V70 P3 D3 @140k miles in the plan to buy and was happy with everything except the fact it's just gone through an MOT and has the following advisories:

Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))

The tyre wear either suggests there's some toe out/ negative camber or wear in the control arm bushes or all of that? Best case there's some toe out and it can be adjusted out. However, with 140k on the clock, I'm thinking chances are high that bushes are worn. Anyone have experience of when these are likely to go? I know it depends on driving style/roads but it would be nice to get some sort of idea- same goes with the rear coil springs?

Thanks in advance! I really want to get this car! But I'm struggling to justify getting something that will need a load of work straight away!
That doesn't look too bad for a 13 year old car with 140,000 miles.

Tyre, for one to be worn and not the other it could be something as simple as being run under inflated. Does it pull to one side when you drive it ? If not I'd suspect pressure was the issue.

The rear shock bodies on mine have some surface corrosion, the springs will get replaced at the same time. 13 winters is enough.

I go through a set of rear pads roughly every 25,000 miles, new set of discs every second set of pads. The car you are looking at is coming up to 150,000 miles which for me would indicate rear pads and discs.

The chances of finding a car which is a teenager requiring zero work is a big ask. You might get lucky, chances are anything will need some work.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 18:31   #3
Drumeo

Hi GMcL

Cheers for your advice, appreciated. I think it looks like both front tyres are worn though from the MOT test, which makes me think there's toe issues or worn bushes. Have you replaced control arms yet on yours?

Yeah I think rear discs and pads are pretty standard stuff.

Sam
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 18:49   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Tyres need running at 38psi really if you want to avoid excessive tyre wear.

As has been said, brakes and springs usual run of the mill. If it’s gone through test then you would presume control arms are ok but there is bound to be some wear at those miles but it’s nothing I would be concerned about. I’d probs put 2 tyres on it inflate them properly and run it but keep an eye.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 19:10   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Hi GMcL

Cheers for your advice, appreciated. I think it looks like both front tyres are worn though from the MOT test, which makes me think there's toe issues or worn bushes. Have you replaced control arms yet on yours?

Yeah I think rear discs and pads are pretty standard stuff.

Sam
Mine has just gone over 100,000 miles. Had some bushes done in the rear, not touched the front suspension yet. Budgeting for front shocks, mounts and springs before the next safety check due November 2025.

I've had my car over 10 years.

Edit: after the rear bushes were replaced I had a four wheel laser alignment done as there had been some uneven wear on the back tyres. Since then the wear has been even. I run my S60 37 at the front and 35 at the back. I'm usually in the car on my own. When I do have a big trip, fully loaded, I set them to 38 allround.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Apr 17th, 2024 at 19:21.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 22:21   #6
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Mine has done 170,000 miles and is still running really well. I have recently replaced the rear discs - as had gone below minimum thickness. Much better braking since replacement. My car eats rear pads, but seems better since new discs. I have had 4 wheel tracking (Hunter system) done twice - both times after major suspension component replacement. This definitely improves uneven tyre wear. I too run my tyres at 38psi and that lessens edge wear as well. The rear springs are a doddle to change - no compressors needed - can post further details if you need. Just make sure you get the correct springs - there are many variants, depending on model and weight/spec from factory. You must get the correct Volvo parts numbers through VIDA or dealer.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 22:23   #7
Drumeo

Thanks guys for your responses, really helpful info and some good indicators that perhaps, all in all it's an alright car. Additionally, I believe the D3 of this year is without the swirl flaps, which is something else not to worry about.

I read that the cambelt had been done in 2020 when it had about 97k on the clock. According to my research it should be changed every 10 years or 72k, so looks like that should be alright for a while.

What's the life on the DMFs and the Nivomats like?

Sam
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 22:25   #8
Drumeo

Oh that's great to hear the rear springs are easy to change too!
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 13:56   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
Thanks guys for your responses, really helpful info and some good indicators that perhaps, all in all it's an alright car. Additionally, I believe the D3 of this year is without the swirl flaps, which is something else not to worry about.

I read that the cambelt had been done in 2020 when it had about 97k on the clock. According to my research it should be changed every 10 years or 72k, so looks like that should be alright for a while.

What's the life on the DMFs and the Nivomats like?

Sam
Those advisories are just wear and tear items really. Brake pads, brake discs... nothing to be too alarmed about. I'd suggest getting the brakes done, get yourself a new tyre and get the alignment checked.

Nivomat's are very expensive and from what I've heard are only available from the main dealer. They're great at what they do, but come repair time, Nivomat's are £500 each.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car with Nivomat rear suspension. It depends what your needs are. If you do a lot of towing or carry heavy loads, then they make a big difference. If you don't, then a car with "ordinary" suspension will be far cheaper to repair when the shocks need replacing.

With regards to the DMF, generally, they're very good. At that mileage, I'd suspect its had a clutch at some point?
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 19:15   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Bought my V70 D5 auto, 2012 model, last year with 120,000 miles up. Since then I've added almost 25,000 miles, and bought four new tyres, fitted new discs and pads front and back, and needed to have one of the rear callipers replaced.

The rear discs are actually a bigger headache than the front because of the electronic parking brake. When the rear calliper seized the parking brake motor casing cracked too - probably because the motor was trying to move an immovable piston.

Ds and Ps came in at £600 in all, all Pagid and fitted by a local garage, the rear calliper was sorted by the AA for £300 - on the driveway on a Saturday morning!

Just prior to my ownership the car had a new cam belt, a full service, the windscreen sealed (properly, by a auto glazing company).

Rather than worry too much about what are essentially service items it'd make sense to focus on things that could be much more expensive and problematic. I'm thinking things electronic - things like the infotainment system, the various driver aids (BLIS, traction control, ABS), the aircon, the locking system, the interior trim and fittings etc.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote