Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What tyres? (fullsize spare)

Views : 3806

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 10:32   #1
844PHW
Master Member

Question What tyres? (fullsize spare)

I have been looking into getting a fullsize spare wheel for my forthcoming XC60 (D3 manual). One of the issues is the tyres. A previous thread says that XC60s come with Pirelli P ZERO ROSSO. Now these tyres have a general type and a directional type apparently. Directional tyres would scupper the idea of a fullsize spare as only one side could be catered for. (Or at least, one web site says that running a directional tyre backwards merely eliminates its special advantage).
For clarification, can any current owners post specific details of the tyres they received the car with (and in particular whether they were symmetrical/assymmetric/directional)?
Thanks in advance.
844PHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 18:56   #2
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
I have been looking into getting a fullsize spare wheel for my forthcoming XC60 (D3 manual). One of the issues is the tyres. A previous thread says that XC60s come with Pirelli P ZERO ROSSO. Now these tyres have a general type and a directional type apparently. Directional tyres would scupper the idea of a fullsize spare as only one side could be catered for. (Or at least, one web site says that running a directional tyre backwards merely eliminates its special advantage).
For clarification, can any current owners post specific details of the tyres they received the car with (and in particular whether they were symmetrical/assymmetric/directional)?
Thanks in advance.
never heard that these tyres have a directional type. do you know if there's any marking on the tyre to show what type it is? if you know, i'll happily take a look at mine for you.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 19:16   #3
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
never heard that these tyres have a directional type. do you know if there's any marking on the tyre to show what type it is? if you know, i'll happily take a look at mine for you.
According to this website http://www.thetreadshop.co.uk/Tyre-N...Explained.aspx

directional/assymetric tyres will have an arrow to show the rotational direction and "outside" on the outer tyre wall.
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 19:49   #4
darbs
XC60 Owner

i've found a difference in the tread pattern....

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/ca...ero_rosso.html

these are the treads on my car....

they are the asymmetrical pattern. can be used on any wheel.

verified here:
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/su...ero_rosso.html (the asymmetric is SUV specific)
82 Metro 1.0

Last edited by darbs; Mar 18th, 2011 at 20:03.
The Following User Says Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 21:53   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Why do you want a full size spare, it will take up a LOT of space the and supplied spacesaver tyre is perfectly safe and adequate when used as directed?
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 08:38   #6
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Why do you want a full size spare, it will take up a LOT of space the and supplied spacesaver tyre is perfectly safe and adequate when used as directed?
It's the "when used as directed" bit that is worrying. I have a spacesaver on my current Avensis. I have only had to use it when parked in town, so I was able to take the damaged one to a tyre fitter and I left the car parked with the spacesaver. I wouldn't want to have driven far on that configuration no matter how safe it is said to be when used as directed. On the other hand my previous vehicle was an Espace and that had a fullsize spare. I also had occasion to use that spare and the experience was entirely satisfactory with no worries or inconvenience. Just change the wheel and off you go with no restrictions.
Of course there is the issue of when you get two or more punctures, but that is another story.

I haven't resolved the issue of how best to carry a fullsize spare in an XC60 yet.
844PHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 09:15   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

I haven't resolved the issue of how best to carry a fullsize spare in an XC60 yet.
Good luck, when I picked up my winter tyres I could only fit 2 into the car at a time. Perhaps you should nip down to the dealer and look at the options before you go down the route of a full size spare, the car is designed for the spacesaver and I fear that a full size just won't fit in - unless you only plan to use the boot for a tyre
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 10:39   #8
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Good luck, when I picked up my winter tyres I could only fit 2 into the car at a time.
Agreed. I had to make two trips the the DPD depot to collect my tyres and that was with the rear seats folded down too. It could take 3 but not 4. Think the quesiton I'd be asking is how far away am I ever away from a Kwik fit/ATS etc. The space saver is just a short term solution to keep you mobile and to get you to a tyre dealer.
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 11:18   #9
henry S

I had 2 punctures in 2 weeks and had to use small space saver spare. It upset the traction control with loss of power on several occasions when pulling away rapidly.
Closeness to KwikFit does not help when local tyre dealers had to order tyres which does not help on jouney away from home.
Full size wheel does not fit in boot well even when felt layer removed
henry S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to henry S For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 11:46   #10
darbs
XC60 Owner

for me, the inconvenience of a space saver tyre or inflation kit is a small price to pay for the extra space i get. it's always going to be a trade off. do you want space or a belt and braces approach to risk management? you can always call a breakdown to help you if you get really stuck.... unless of course you're in the middle of a desert, eh desertdog!
82 Metro 1.0