Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 240 suspension/engine advice

Views : 3237

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 16:54   #1
Ollly244dl

Default New 240 suspension/engine advice

Hi I have just purchased a 1980 Volvo 244DL which was advertised locally.

I have been looking for a couple years now so had to buy when it popped up.

Im currently at university and blown all my money on the new Volvo.
Im planning long term to save up and eventually swap the engine, gearbox , add Coilover's etc.

For the time being I want to do a couple slightly cheaper and smaller jobs.

Starting with lowering slightly. On lowering springs alone how much can be dropped before clearance issues? (bearing in mind I live in London)

With the engine what are the most cost effective power gains. I have been looking at different cams. Is there a specific one for street driving and getting a bit more low end torque people would recommend? As well as carb , exhaust, intake changes etc.

Cheers in advance
Olly
Ollly244dl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ollly244dl For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 19:19   #2
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi,

Welcome to 240 ownership and the forum, great car choice

You can lower a 240 cheaply and easily with 40mm lowering springs without running into any issues with either suspension geometry or scraping speed bumps. Depending on where you are in London a friend has almost exactly the same car as you with 40mm lowering springs fitted, which you might want to have a look at.

Engine/power wise, you’re probably best off making sure everything is working properly as a start- the cam is probably an A cam, so not much scope to improve there- a V cam has slightly more lift but not enough to make much difference. You might find a k or h cam if you’re lucky. A Weber carb kit does exist, although tuning a n/a car costs quite a lot for the power gained. Obviously I’m going to say turbo swap it…

Throw out any questions you have, there’s a lot of knowledge on this forum and someone will know the answer to anything you ask….

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 20:11   #3
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Engine swop

My best tune up was fitting a 2.3 litre (2326cc which it was designed for) engine. The 2 ltr 1986cc is under powered and only used as a UK tax break.
The used 2.3 cost £265 plus fitting. That was 350k miles ago.

BrianH 245 GL 1989 LPG 800K from new. Best car I ever had. Bomb proof!! Keep that oil Clean.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 20:32   #4
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollly244dl View Post
Hi I have just purchased a 1980 Volvo 244DL which was advertised locally.

I have been looking for a couple years now so had to buy when it popped up.

Im currently at university and blown all my money on the new Volvo.
Im planning long term to save up and eventually swap the engine, gearbox , add Coilover's etc.

For the time being I want to do a couple slightly cheaper and smaller jobs.

Starting with lowering slightly. On lowering springs alone how much can be dropped before clearance issues? (bearing in mind I live in London)

With the engine what are the most cost effective power gains. I have been looking at different cams. Is there a specific one for street driving and getting a bit more low end torque people would recommend? As well as carb , exhaust, intake changes etc.

Cheers in advance
Olly
Welcome to the forum - this is a really good place.

Super duper, that car looks really nice (my 244, the Royal Barge, is a 1980 GL auto - very similar to your motor car).

I’d agree with Bugjam, the first thing to do is make sure what you have is running properly. Your motor will probably be a B21a 2.1, they are really simple cars and very easy to work on.

Alan
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 20:59   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Suspension wise a set of 40mm lowering springs and new dampers will transform the car. I would also suggest replacing any worn bushes

Power wise I suspect you have a B21a.

You could convert to fuel injection or go DCOE's along with a cam etc

I would avoid spending twice if you can. If you want coilover get a decent set to start with, engine no point spending on mods that are only short term
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 22:26   #6
SwedishScotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
My best tune up was fitting a 2.3 litre (2326cc which it was designed for) engine. The 2 ltr 1986cc is under powered and only used as a UK tax break.
The used 2.3 cost £265 plus fitting. That was 350k miles ago.

BrianH 245 GL 1989 LPG 800K from new. Best car I ever had. Bomb proof!! Keep that oil Clean.
Agreed. 2.3 red block is the way to go rather than trying to tart up existing

As it so happens I have a running 2.3 engine and manual gearbox for sale. £500 if it’s of use to you/ anyone. Engine is low mileage (only 130k) having had Volvo genuine timing belt/ tensioners done at 120k.

Have a video showing it running v good condition.
SwedishScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwedishScotsman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 00:40   #7
rhysfaulkner

Default Rhys Faulkner

Engine/power wise, you’re probably best off making sure everything is working properly as a start- the cam is probably an A cam, so not much scope to improve there- a V cam has slightly more lift but not enough to make much difference. You might find a k or h cam if you’re lucky. A Weber carb kit does exist, although tuning a n/a car costs quite a lot for the power gained. Obviously I’m going to say turbo swap

Dr Car Polisher
rhysfaulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhysfaulkner For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 11:31   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There is not that much between a B21 and B230 really but the B21 is by far the stronger bottom end
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 15:26   #9
Ollly244dl

Great thanks for this.

Yeah the engine in it only has 51k on it and no drivetrain noise, haven't got the car with me at uni so haven't had the chance to go over properly yet.

Turbo was the route I was looking to go down (building the motor separately on the side) . Ideally looking for 200-250bhp range with still a decent sense of reliability.

What is the best way to achieve this with still a bit of simplicity and not completely break the bank?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ollly244dl For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 15:27   #10
Ollly244dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hi,

Welcome to 240 ownership and the forum, great car choice

You can lower a 240 cheaply and easily with 40mm lowering springs without running into any issues with either suspension geometry or scraping speed bumps. Depending on where you are in London a friend has almost exactly the same car as you with 40mm lowering springs fitted, which you might want to have a look at.

Engine/power wise, you’re probably best off making sure everything is working properly as a start- the cam is probably an A cam, so not much scope to improve there- a V cam has slightly more lift but not enough to make much difference. You might find a k or h cam if you’re lucky. A Weber carb kit does exist, although tuning a n/a car costs quite a lot for the power gained. Obviously I’m going to say turbo swap it…

Throw out any questions you have, there’s a lot of knowledge on this forum and someone will know the answer to anything you ask….

Cheers
Great thanks for this.

Yeah the engine in it only has 51k on it and no drivetrain noise, haven't got the car with me at uni so haven't had the chance to go over properly yet.

Turbo was the route I was looking to go down (building the motor separately on the side) . Ideally looking for 200-250bhp range with still a decent sense of reliability.

What is the best way to achieve this with still a bit of simplicity and not completely break the bank?