Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beautiful 265 on E-bay

Views : 2087

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 20:49   #1
940Graeme
Premier Member

Default Beautiful 265 on E-bay

I'm sure some of you 200 people will have spotted this one on E-bay.

I have been to look at it today - and it is actually even better in real life than in the pictures.

Drives beautifully - and stops properly!

Seller seems a decent, honest chap - he was very concerned that this advert wasn't honest enough - believe me it is to the point of being over critical.

Expensive? don't know what these are worth now, you see so few - especially in this condition.

Well worth a look if you are in the market for a really good one, (and if I don't snap it up first!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare-...item2c85d94d78
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 22:09   #2
AndrewBrown

£2600 at the moment good to see its fetching big money, because that means someone will be looking after it. Rather than some money grabbing c**t wanting it to brake up...far too many are being broken in my opinion. Hopefully it will hit £3000.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 22:28   #3
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
Ooh that is nice! Looks lovely.
Especially good if your surname is Reynolds.

Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OvlovS70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 23:10   #4
940Graeme
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
£2600 at the moment good to see its fetching big money, because that means someone will be looking after it. Rather than some money grabbing c**t wanting it to brake up...far too many are being broken in my opinion. Hopefully it will hit £3000.
OK, I'll come clean..........at that price Andrew, I can guarantee the new owner will look after it - as the bidder is me!

I rather hope it stays under £3000 as that is my (absolute) max bid! I know that is probably a lot for one of these - but when did you last see one his good? In fact, when did you last see one!! It is amazing, even the air con still works - and air con in 1978!! I really wonder what this one cost new, with AC, Electric windows all round, metallic paint, full leather and an FM radio with 8 Track player!

How Many Left says 7 on the road, and 11 on SORN for the 265 GLE Auto.

I think it will head towards 4 grand tbh, but I couldn't resist having a punt!
The Following User Says Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 23:49   #5
Orca2
I've Been Banned

I hope you get it Grae. It looks amazing, and soo rare now,
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 14:45   #6
Lucien
VOC Member

I remember this car - sold on ebay in 2011 for £820 so the marque must have appreciated strongly which is good. It does look lovely and I wish I had bought it back in 2011!

Mileage stated in 2011 was 65,000 whereas now it is showing on the speedo as 62,605. The previous seller could of course have rounded up the mileage.

Here's the previous VOC forum thread

regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 17:06   #7
Fancourt

Exclamation

Careful of values, the market is extremely frothy at the moment and as a Chartered Financial Analyst who forecast the financial crisis 2 years early I can tell you the housing market is closer to imploding than it has been for many years! Who knows when, but I suspect classic cars will take a knock over the next 2-3 years, and the old of last in/first out will apply I suspect also
Fancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancourt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 22:31   #8
940Graeme
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
I remember this car - sold on ebay in 2011 for £820 so the marque must have appreciated strongly which is good. It does look lovely and I wish I had bought it back in 2011!

Mileage stated in 2011 was 65,000 whereas now it is showing on the speedo as 62,605. The previous seller could of course have rounded up the mileage.

Here's the previous VOC forum thread

regards
Lucien
Thanks for this Lucien! How interesting that these cars come around again! I think there may be a series of typo's on the mileages, I've looked at the old MOT's and it all adds up. There have been several major jobs carried out since 2011 - new torque converter amongst others, so whilst £800 looked good value then, there are bills for a good couple of thousand since!

Very helpful though, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancourt View Post
Careful of values, the market is extremely frothy at the moment and as a Chartered Financial Analyst who forecast the financial crisis 2 years early I can tell you the housing market is closer to imploding than it has been for many years! Who knows when, but I suspect classic cars will take a knock over the next 2-3 years, and the old of last in/first out will apply I suspect also
Agreed Fancourt, if, of course, one is buying to make a profit/not loose money. I don't look at a car like this in this way. Rather - what is it worth to me for what it is. Not least, find me another V6 2.7L massive estate, with this spec for the same money! Frankly I don't think I've ever made money on a car, just not why I love owning them!

Thanks both though - helpful and interesting comments.

Regards
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 22:55   #9
Trommel

Surprised it's gone so high so quickly, they have narrow appeal even compared to something like a late GLT, and I'm not convinced it's that nice.

Saying that, with the current classic market, it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up with a dealer in one of the smarter magazines after a bit of tidying.

Should have bought it last time ...
Trommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 09:20   #10
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancourt View Post
That may be the case, but no one buys a 260 as a solid investment( remember the greedy Morris Traveller bubble in the 80's?),
They buy one because they LOVE it. Warts and all, still a car with doors that shut nicely, buzzers to drive you nuts, and an antisocial V6 to peeve the eco nutters.

And what can be better than that?
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post: