Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P80 2.5 TDI Hydraulic engine mounts - Not available anymore?

Views : 550

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2024, 18:10   #1
Volvej

Default P80 2.5 TDI Hydraulic engine mounts - Not available anymore?

I have a question about P80 2.5 TDI engine mounts and I hope that you can help me out with your experiences.

The correct hydraulic engine mounts for 850 / V70 2.5 TDI are:
- Engine mounting rear 1236222
- Engine mounting front 9434254

The problem is... you can't get this mounts anymore. Believe it or not, I've searched everywhere. I'm looking to get these mounts for more than 2 years now but they are not produced anymore and out of stock. Volvo doesn't make them anymore, and you can't get any aftermarket alternative (Febi, Lemforder, ...) You can get a low quality no-name mounts from Skandix or classic-volvo.com at a high price. My friend went this route and those mounts were worse than his 20 years old original Volvo mounts, so this is not an option for me. This is his opinion on Skandix mounts (translated from Slovenian to English): I bought 2.5 TDI engine mounts on SKANDIX, because the original and even the non-original are no longer available at our dealers, so I trusted the German. In the moment after the assembly, when I started the car for the first time I felt vibrations on the pedals. The whole car vibrates, the pedals vibrate, the seat vibrates... In the end, I vibrate when I get out of the car. In short, annoying, too annoying...

Now I'm choosing between two options.

1. Use P80 petrol mounts

As I can see P80 diesel mounts are visually the same as the P80 mounts for petrol cars. So I guest the only difference is stiffness? I'm thinking to give it a try and mount petrol mounts on diesel car. But the 2.5 TDI engine is pretty heavy because is cast iron block, not aluminum as the Volvo petrol engine and obviously produces a lot more vibrations. On the photo bellow is an example of original Volvo mount. It has 3 different part numbers on it. Probably because the tool is the same and the only difference is the stiffness? The blue one is diesel mount which I can't get. I can get yellow or green ones from Febi, Lemforder, ... which ones are closer to blue? Green or Yellow?

9434254 - blue
1236222 - yellow
9434435 - green

2. Use P2 S80/V70 2.5 TDI mounts on P80

You can still get the 2.5 TDI mounts for P2 S80 and V70. The only problem is that the mounts are not identical. P2 cars have vacuum connector which P80 doesn't have. I have asked two different mechanics for advice and they both said that you don't have to connect vacuum lines to the vacuum mounts. I can just plug them off and they should work just fine. But the problem is that this diesel P2 diesel mount looks a bit different than P80 mount. It has the plug on the different position, moved 90° away from the P80 pin (as marked on the image bellow). And it also looks a bit taller. So I don't know if these P2 mounts will fit on P2 chassis and if the engine will sit on the correct height.

I have already asked this question on some other Volvo groups but everybody drives petrol cars and therefore no one has the practical experience with 2.5 TDI. As I can see these diesel V70 were pretty common in UK so I hope that you can help me out with your experiences.

I would appreciate your input.
Volvej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 19:49   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

the p2 rear vac engine mount is taller than the front one so you would need to determine which one would suit your purpose if any
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 21:50   #3
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvej View Post
I have a question about P80 2.5 TDI engine mounts and I hope that you can help me out with your experiences.

The correct hydraulic engine mounts for 850 / V70 2.5 TDI are:
- Engine mounting rear 1236222
- Engine mounting front 9434254

The problem is... you can't get this mounts anymore...

Almost five years ago and 45.000 kms ago, I have installed the following on my 855 TDI:

- Corteco 601776 rear engine mount (Volvo 1236222)

It was not expensive, and the quality is fine. Nothing wrong after 5 years...it does its job, engine is calm.

And you're right...if you google it now, it seems Unobtainium :-(

Now when you know the exact rear one, maybe you'll be better luck to find it...

The problem is I cannot find the P/N of the front mount I have installed... Will try to find it and post in a day or two...

If I recall correctly there is a possibility you may install the rear one in front too, because they are very similar...but I cannot confirm that...
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 18:53   #4
Volvej

I have searched everywhere and you can't get front or rear mount anymore.

I have asked Volvo and they don't have these mounts anymore.

I have search for Febi, Lemforder, Corteco, ... in all possible auto stores online and offline and these mounts are out of stock everywhere.

I have even sent a message to ZF (company above Lemforder, Febi, etc) and they just replied "unfortunately we don't produce them since 2018."

So I hoped that somebody did the research already and found a solution. If not, then I will try to get two used Volvo mounts and compare them to P80 petrol mounts and P2 diesel mounts to find out what might be the best solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvej For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 19:17   #5
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000f View Post

I cannot find the P/N of the front mount I have installed... Will try to find it and post in a day or two...
Found it... so just for the record.

Front mount I have installed was "Lemforder 27607 01".
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 21:39   #6
rabbituk

I've seen online reports of people using rubber reconditioner on parts like this. Myself I've used it on door seals but wondered if anybody had tried it on engine mounts? Presumably they fail because the rubber part cracks up.
rabbituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 16:43   #7
Volvej

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbituk View Post
I've seen online reports of people using rubber reconditioner on parts like this. Myself I've used it on door seals but wondered if anybody had tried it on engine mounts? Presumably they fail because the rubber part cracks up.
I don't know if you are joking or not.

These engine mounts fail because of the weight of the engine and vibration over long period of time. They collapse internally. Also they are not just rubber mounts, they are hydraulic mounts.

Last edited by Volvej; Feb 17th, 2024 at 16:49.
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 20:42   #8
rabbituk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvej View Post
I don't know if you are joking or not.
It was a genuine comment. If the part isn't available, I was wondering if there is something that can be done to make my current mounts last longer so was speculating on the cause of the fail internal to the mount. Presumably keeping the engine vibrations to the minimum via things like the crank shaft pulley (aka TVD) et al is the way to manage this unobtainium issue.
rabbituk is offline   Reply With Quote