Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2031110

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2022, 20:04   #3231
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Ah! I thought that was you making your way from the Royal Oak towards Ladbroke’s betting shop at closing time :-)
Not knowing the facts it still has the smack of the road to ruin!
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 22:40   #3232
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
After 2 months of almost unbroken sunny weather, today we are back to the normal British summer we all know and love (I'm being candid - the rain is nice). I'd hoped to get on with a few more jobs on the Barge, but they will wait for drier weather so I've written down my project plan instead, here is my list of jobs to work through in the next few months:

1. Fit the new rear shock absorbers that arrived in the mail today (only £36/pair). These were an advisory on the last MoT.
2. Change the wheel nuts to the closed end type (ordered - only £16/set).
3. Clean up the spare wheel (matching alloy - but the PO didn't get it refurbished with the road wheels) and change the tyre to a new 175/70R14 (ordered - only £33).
4. Change the plugs, check the points gap and ignition timing.
5. Get a proper wheel brace (ordered).
6. Change the oil and filter.
7. Fit a new air filter (ordered). Whilst changing the filter investigate the constant air temperature device - and decide whether to fix it or delete it. A new bracket for the exhaust downpipe would be about £40.
8. Fit a new under-engine tray (ordered).
9. Fit new headlamp wiper blades (ordered) and adjust properly.
10. Fit electronic points (once I have the engine running well with points) - cost only £35.
11. Change the camshaft belt, check the water pump and idler, check the valve clearances, change the hushers and the camshaft oil seal.
12. Paint the exhaust manifold (probably swap it with the one from the B230e) and maybe the cam cover also.
13. Flush the cooling system.
14. Fit new auxiliary belts.
15. Find and fit some mud flaps for the rear.
16. Fit an add-on BT receiver so I can still use the original radio/cassette player.

... not necessarily in that order - this is just my aide-memoir. If I get that lot all done before MoT time (it runs out 29 November - so by the end of October) I'll be happy enough.

:-)
... I almost forgot:

17. Fix the O/D (but I'll test it first to see if it really doesn't work).
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 23:46   #3233
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

May I ask where you got the rear shock absorbers?

Meyle shock absorbers from eBay, £36.32 for two delivered.

Thanks!

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 10:29   #3234
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
I had meant to spend the day in reconnaissance - to find out what I'd bought with the Barge, and what needed doing. In the end normal life got in the way a bit, so it became about 4 hours.

I had a good look around the Barge, sometimes just noting things, other times ordering parts to complete another day - and occasionally completing fixes because I had the parts handy.

The engine compartment looked more or less okay. I did notice the pre-heater pipe for the air intake doesn't go anywhere:

... this pipe is supposed to fit onto a bracket attached to the downpipe - which is missing. The bracket is available (about £40) but there is no point replacing it unless the constant temperature device is still working. That is one for investigation.

I noticed the under engine tray had been noted as insecure at a few previous MoT tests - it was still insecure (wired on at the front - I don't know why). I could repair it with some GRP, or get a new one for about £35, we'll see.

At this point I concluded the motor car had probably belonged to a farmer: things only got fixed when they broke, but it is pretty complete because farmers never throw anything away.

Inside the cabin the passenger side map pocket is missing:

- we'll probably just learn to live without that, it isn't really worth £80 for a new one. I did order a nice set of blue floor mats for abut £26, which will improve the cabin. Still inside - I did manage to tune the radio/cassette and found perhaps 3 stations (I can normally find 20is in the FM band with a modern tuner. So, it does work, and I might live with it for a while, but in the longer term I don't think 1980s quality radio will be good enough. I take John's point, but I don't think it is worth spending hundreds replacing the innards of a radio/cassette player with modern stuff just to look nice when I can buy a Chinese classic looking item like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354167690741

... for £18 and it will work much better than the original, or a nice Sony like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254871083968

for £70... either way, I'll convert the wiring to DIN sockets (if they aren't already) so it is easy to put the old beast back in if someone really wants it. The unit did come with one cassette tape (which is the only one I own):

... Patsy Cline, the Queen of Country, may not be one of my favourites. Talking of speakers, the motor car has these nice original Volvo speakers fitted on the hat shelf:

... plus some nice Volvo door speakers at the front - I'll certainly keep those. The extra instruments seem to more or less work - although the outside temperature gauge is wildly optimistic, even during this summer. One day I'll find the sensor and make it read right.

I thought the headlamp wipers were broken, but it turned out that they were badly adjusted so they lodged below the headlamps and so couldn't move. I adjusted them so they sit on the glass and they both work now - except the blades are worn out (I'll order some). Perhaps that is why someone wedged then below the headlamps in the first place. Anyway, another no-cost fix (apart from buying some wiper blades).

I put the Barge up on some ramps and had a look underneath and gave it a clean up. I'm guessing this is the sender for the oil temperature gauge that John mentioned?

I gave the contacts a clean up - we'll see if it starts working. I also tidied up the engine bay a bit, the carburettor damper seemed to have no oil in it so I topped it up with ATF. The motor still has points ignition:

These seem okay (I'll check the timing when I get a mo) but I think I'll change it to an electronic points set up like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363401865643

... fit it for £35 and no more fiddling with points and capacitors.

The PO had spent good money having the alloy wheels refurbished and fitting new tyres, but had fitted odd wheel nuts:

... I had a spare set (for the Pholus winter wheels) so I fitted them. The old wheel nuts were mostly stiff to remove, so I had a suspicion they were not the right thread (so they went in the bin). The 1/2" UNF ones look much smarter (and are all the same):

I'll order a set of closed nuts in the fullness or time.

The Barge seems to be pretty original (generally a good thing). As well as the service book and handbook it also has the original jack and tool roll:

The wheel brace took looks pretty useless though, so I'll order a proper one to keep in the boot. There was a bit of rust in the wheel wells (as normal), not bad enough to warrant welding and there is nothing structural there so I scrubbed it up, used some Kurust and fixed it with a generous helping of GRP. The good thing about repairing rather than restoring the motor car is that I don't have to fix everything as new. If I still own the Barge in a decade I'll probably have to weld in a couple of spare wheel well sections - until then my repair will be just fine.

Overall the car looks pretty good - and will be the perfect project for me: complete (more or less) but just enough neglect to give me something to do.

I must admit, I'm excited by this motor car just as I was when I first bought the RB and GAM, and that is what I like about old Volvos. I get real satisfaction out of finding, diagnosing and fixing problems like the above.

I hope readers don't think this tread too verbose - I use it as a journal and my records of plans and their execution.

It isn't really worth taxing the Barge for just a week, so I'll SORN it and pay the tax from 1 September.

I'm very pleased with EWM33Y - the Barge.

Alan
Ahmet might have a pocket maybe. https://www.facebook.com/groups/8259...95996610444390
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 16:20   #3235
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Thank you Mitch, but I don't use Facebook (or other social media), is there any other way for me to contact Ahmet?

Many thanks,

Alan
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 17:10   #3236
Othen
Premier Member

Default OP BARGE - Update

So, the story continues, completed or changed stuff in red::

1. Fit the new rear shock absorbers that arrived in the mail today (only £36/pair). These were an advisory on the last MoT.
2. Change the wheel nuts to the closed end type (ordered - only £16/set).
3. Clean up the spare wheel (matching alloy - but the PO didn't get it refurbished with the road wheels) and change the tyre to a new 175/70R14 (ordered - only £33).
4. Change the plugs, check the points gap and ignition timing - done, I'm starting to like the originality of the Barge, so I may just stick with CB points and so have ordered a new set (for a couple of pounds).
5. Get a proper wheel brace (ordered).
6. Change the oil and filter.
7. Fit a new air filter (ordered). Whilst changing the filter investigate the constant air temperature device - and decide whether to fix it or delete it. A new bracket for the exhaust downpipe would be about £40.
8. Fit a new under-engine tray - done: it arrived today and looks super:

... so the under-engine tray is secure for the first time since 2013 (I'm sure this motor car belonged to a farmer).

9. Fit new headlamp wiper blades (ordered) and adjust properly. Done - the blades arrived today and were fitted in a trice. The wipers work and park properly now (I suspect they had not for a decade)/ The washers don't work: the one-way valve (with 2 outlets) is blocked. I'll find a new one and all should be well.:

10. Fit electronic points (once I have the engine running well with points) - cost only £35. See 4 above: I'm warming to the idea of sticking with points ignition.
11. Change the camshaft belt, check the water pump and idler, check the valve clearances, change the hushers and the camshaft oil seal.
12. Paint the exhaust manifold (probably swap it with the one from the B230e) and maybe the cam cover also. This is the manifold from the spare B230 motor I have, they seem to be identical, so I could just swap this nicely painted silver one.:

13. Flush the cooling system.
14. Fit new auxiliary belts.
15. Find and fit some mud flaps for the rear.
16. Fit an add-on BT receiver so I can still use the original radio/cassette player. Now this one is tricky - see below.
17. Fix the O/D.

The radio issue: I really like the idea of retaining the original radio/cassette - but I have had one pace forward and one pace back with that today. First this arrived from that nice Mr Bezos:

I had almost forgotten about cassette head cleaners, and was quite surprised to find they are still readily available (and cheaply). I'm pleased to say it worked very well and I may now play my one Patsy Cline tape continuously (if I was so inclined).

This little gizmo also arrived:

... it should be absolutely perfect: BT to my cell phone and then a FM radio connection to the Volvo head unit. The connection to my cell phone was fine and the unit was well made and easy to set up. After some time fiddling with the radio, trying to get it to tune in to the same FM frequency as the gizmo I concluded the radio is faulty and will only operate on the MW band. What a pity - I can get Radio 5 Live, but not much else. So, I have a few options:
a. Leave it as it is, get used to MW stations and musicassettes - but no BT to my cell phone for hands free calls and so on.

b. Get the radio/cassette player fixed: I suspect that might be difficult, and probably expensive.

c. Replace the head unit with a modern Sony, new for only £66.50 (a current eBay offer for a brand new unit, which is quite remarkable) - and look for a facia that would fit.
Ideas?

A set of nice new mats arrived - they look the dogs bollocks.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 26th, 2022 at 17:32.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 17:16   #3237
Moomoo
VOC Member

I reckon you’ve done well with the purchase of that motor chief !

I would like to see her in the flesh. I love the coffin noses.😁😎

I’m having one of those phone gizmos! Your FM problem could be aerial connection , mine was poor until I had the head out and cleaned it.

One job at a time eh!

Last edited by Moomoo; Aug 26th, 2022 at 17:22.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 17:43   #3238
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I reckon you’ve done well with the purchase of that motor chief !

I would like to see her in the flesh. I love the coffin noses.😁😎

I’m having one of those phone gizmos! Your FM problem could be aerial connection , mine was poor until I had the head out and cleaned it.

One job at a time eh!
Thank you Andrew,

I have to agree, this is a fantastic motor car for £2,000. Maybe meet at one of Jakki Ragg's Sunday morns?

The aerial does need some attention. The mast is a bit tired, I suspect some of the teeth have worn on the nylon cable so I've ordered a new Volvo one for about £15. I'll pull the old one out and feed the new one in - that should fix that issue.

I think the band selector button on the radio isn't working. The three 'FM' tabs don't work either. I could have a go at taking it apart to see if it is a mechanical problem, maybe something has just stuck? The 'REV' button here doesn't seem to engage with anything (and is supposed to change the band):

I think the little gizmo should be a very good solution.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 26th, 2022 at 17:52.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 18:21   #3239
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Thank you Andrew,

I have to agree, this is a fantastic motor car for £2,000. Maybe meet at one of Jakki Ragg's Sunday morns?

The aerial does need some attention. The mast is a bit tired, I suspect some of the teeth have worn on the nylon cable so I've ordered a new Volvo one for about £15. I'll pull the old one out and feed the new one in - that should fix that issue.

I think the band selector button on the radio isn't working. The three 'FM' tabs don't work either. I could have a go at taking it apart to see if it is a mechanical problem, maybe something has just stuck? The 'REV' button here doesn't seem to engage with anything (and is supposed to change the band):

I think the little gizmo should be a very good solution.

Aye, Jakki’s could be well in the frame. I’m surprised the cassette REV button is a channel band changer.

If you get chance bud, ( yes I know what I’m asking), a few more pictures of the Barge would be well received!

The under engine panel, worth having? I’ve a birthday coming up and one would be preferable to the usual tat. Ungrateful bastard that I am !🤨
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 18:59   #3240
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Aye, Jakki’s could be well in the frame. I’m surprised the cassette REV button is a channel band changer.

If you get chance bud, ( yes I know what I’m asking), a few more pictures of the Barge would be well received!

The under engine panel, worth having? I’ve a birthday coming up and one would be preferable to the usual tat. Ungrateful bastard that I am !🤨
I was a bit surprised by the cassette reverse (REV) button also doubling as the band selector, but that seems to be what the user manual (translated directly from the Svenska is telling me:

... and the legend:

... unless I've misunderstood something? I think it is worth having a go at fixing it - but I think a professional repair on a piece of 40 year old electronics would be too costly.

I'm always happy to oblige with photos of the Barge Andrew. It is still on ramps (the oil didn't arrive because the posties were all wasting their time round the brazier), but you will get the idea. In my humble opinion it is a fine looking motor car, different from the RB, more subtle:

The cabin is really nice, set off well by the new blue/black mats:

I like all those 1980s switches and dials: very Star ship Enterprise:

... the back seat looks almost unused with acres of velour - lovely:

The boot is tidy: it has the original tie down strap, tool roll, jack and a matching alloy wheel (with a non-matching and illegal tyre). I'll re-paint the wheel when I take the tyre off to change it.

You were right about the towing hitch electrics: sockets for the trailer and the fridge (might be useful):

I've tidied up the engine bay (it didn't take much effort) and it looks really smart now. I'm going to try 5W30 fully synthetic oil this time (because it was cheaper than mineral); it doesn't leak any at the mo, but that will be a good test :-)

I did find something wrong today, there is a gap in the windscreen surround. It is the older type with the stainless surround, which suits the motor car. I'll try to fix it in place (I'm not sure how yet):

The under-engine panel: it made me happy. The old one was a bag of barf and had been wired on (I don't know why, all but one of the bolts were still on the motor car). It was only £40 (with the postage) and looks really good. I also enjoyed cutting the old one up with a saw and putting it in the bin. If I were you I'd start dropping hints that you would like an under engine tray rather than a pair of slippers and a soap on a rope.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 26th, 2022 at 20:00.