Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with a CVT

Views : 2786

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 00:13   #1
Hair bear

Default Towing with a CVT

Does anyone regularly tow with a CVT? What are the weight limits? Is it inadvisable?
Thanks, Rob.
Hair bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 02:01   #2
940Graeme
Premier Member

I have never towed with a 340 CVT, but having owned one......I would say NO!. Whilst great little cars, they are serious underpowered for everyday use, I imagine towing with one with be at best painful.

However, I've looked up the original spec towing info from the sales brouchure and specfies as follows:

Braked Trailer Max = 1000kg
Unbraked Trailer Max = 450 kg

BUT with an note:

"Data valid for manual transmission only, Add 20kg for automatic kerb weight"
which I assume means max 980kg/430kg for CVT?

In addition, the suppliment for CVT transmission leaflet that came with the cars says, to paraphrase, that when towing the "low gear" switch should be engaged at all times. This means that you are limited to 50 mph.

I can provide you with scans of these pages if you would like, but I would suggest that even Volvo at the time were not keen on recommending towing with a CVT..........even if they didn't say so outright!!

Let me know if you would like further info

Best regards
Graeme
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 11:10   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Not sure on the situation is with the 340 but I have made and sold a number of towbars for 66's. The towing weights are marked on the 66 chassis plate. I would say with a small trailer you would be fine but avoid anything heavy.

If good CVT advice I would ask on the daf club forum.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 11:38   #4
Hair bear

Thanks for the advice, I used to tow all sorts of things with a manual but I wasn't sure about the CVT. My old 343 would easily start a 700kg boat and trailer on a 35% slipway but I did wonder if the belts would put up with that sort of abuse. My other trailer is 380kg empty so it's a lot to ask before it's got anything in it. The only time I had any doubts about the manual was doing a (solo) reverse hill start up the infamous 40% hill in Harlech but it didn't falter (lost the engine oil pressure for a few moments but I think it was all down at the front!).
The CVT I was looking at has been sold now so I've a bit more time to consider the options.
Rob.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 11:54   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

The only problem for towing with a CVT would be the clutch , you have no direct control over it so it would overheat if doing any steep hillstarts and it is not a generously sized clutch to start with . The situation would be worse with a poorly adjusted clutch .

The answer would be use a manual clutch and fit a clutch pedal . You would only use the clutch for starting off and when coming to a standstill . Why not fit a 1.7 engine with it'ss manual clutch, it would transform the car .
The B14 CVT is not underpowered when it is all working correctly , it is faster than the manual and as fast as a cavalier 1800i from 0-70 mph ..

this would not be true with a caravan on of course !
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 14:50   #6
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default What about being towed?

Should you ever break down, ensure that the recovery company send a vehicle capable of loading the complete car on board. Never allow them to tow your CVT as they would like to, namely with the back wheels freewheeling along the road. You will wreck your transmission.

Last edited by Joe Harding; Sep 3rd, 2011 at 15:04.
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 17:05   #7
Hair bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
Should you ever break down, ensure that the recovery company send a vehicle capable of loading the complete car on board. Never allow them to tow your CVT as they would like to, namely with the back wheels freewheeling along the road. You will wreck your transmission.
Interesting...
When I did a search before starting this thread I came across a post saying it would have no detremental effect, but thanks Joe, point taken.
I have to say I did tow a CVT about 10 miles once, never gave it a second thought as I only wanted it for the engine and I was told the gearbox was toast and wouldn't select, appeared to be ok afterwards and seemed to cure the reason for the tow. The only fault I could find was that it appeared to be capable of going as fast backwards as it did forwards (apparently a stuck relay?)!
Sorry, off topic.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 19:04   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair bear View Post
Interesting...
When I did a search before starting this thread I came across a post saying it would have no detremental effect, but thanks Joe, point taken.
I have to say I did tow a CVT about 10 miles once, never gave it a second thought as I only wanted it for the engine and I was told the gearbox was toast and wouldn't select, appeared to be ok afterwards and seemed to cure the reason for the tow. The only fault I could find was that it appeared to be capable of going as fast backwards as it did forwards (apparently a stuck relay?)!
Sorry, off topic.
Yes all the belt driven CVT DAF and 300 series will go as fast backwards as forwards , so that is 92 mph :-) no electronic computer systems in those days, the CVT is all mechanical except for a few micro switches and an electronic Tachometric relay which engages the overdrive function over about 2500 rpm ..
The only drawback when towing is that the towing vehicle will sap more energy rotating the primary and secondary gear units which comprise the CVT transmission , there is nothing else which can come to harm ..
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 08:49   #9
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default I was only following orders, guv!

I got this nugget from the RAC or whoever it was towed our CVT back from the garage (after it had been fuelled with diesel by accident.) I defer to the greater knowledge above with passing interest now as we got shot of the CVT not long after getting it.

Thanks folks.
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:25   #10
reb067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
Hallo Joe,

just one question:

do you have experience with the CVT and how would you repair it or change ir?

thanks for reply
reb067 is offline   Reply With Quote