Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust blow

Views : 895

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2011, 09:32   #1
96024v

Default Exhaust blow

Is it me or is the exhaust joint just under the drivers seat on my 960 saloon a so and so to seal properly this will be my third attempt at it and if it doesnt work this time i will in the words of one of my idles "RIGHT THATS IT I'M GOING TO GIVE YOU A DAMN GOOD THRASHING"
any advice greatly received
Ian
96024v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 10:35   #2
zetor160

You're right..that joint will test you..

The only way to deal with it is to give the pipes a thorough clean (inside&out) push in to each other as far as poss.using some gentle persuasion from your best knockometer(hammer) and block of wood, finishing off by tightening up with a new ex.clamp tightened to a reasonable rate.

I have found that on occasion (only with this joint..) that it may help to use some exhaust gum-gum around the pipes to help seal what is often a problematic area on these.

Success lies in the preparation..!
all the best..!
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 19:10   #3
96024v

Zetor160,

Cleaned everything to surgical standards and clamped it up and yes you guessed it still leaking the problem seems to be that the mating surfaces aren't square to one another so this gives a close at the bottom and a gap at the top. Which makes me wonder if it is the correct exhaust for the car as it was replaced for its last mot. So two choices as far as i see it - some exhaust paste or find someone with gas to give it wee heat to square it up a bit.

another bash at it tomorrow will keep you posted

Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to 96024v For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 03:30   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

You will also find that your situation can be a result of either the box or over-axle pipe have not been fitted correctly (correct angle) and are placing that joint under strain as the pipe leading to it is not at the correct angle.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 20:19   #5
Paul-C

Hi,
I had a similar but not same problem with my 960. I changed the cat and the result was a gap about 10mm between the two halves and also slightly off axis
To resolve it I bought a Sarb exhaust clamp (twice the width of the Volvo clamp that came off) and using paste created a seal that has been ok for six months
(the exhaust has been split at that joint twice since the cat change whilst dealing with the PNP switch problem but on assembly always makes a good joint)
Paul C
Paul-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 07:28   #6
Mike J
Driver Maintainer

Default Leaky Joints

Hi

How about cutting off the flanges and use a short flexible joiner. That was what i had planned to do mine the next time the bracket needed changing.

http://exhaustpartsuk.com/

Had been looking at these.

Rgds

Mike
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 22:50   #7
rhogb

Angry leaking system

I have the same problem , but it was a complete system fitted by the garage and it still leaks.
I am thinking about smothering it with paste and then a bandage .
rhogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:55   #8
96024v

Smile

Which is exactly what I'm going to be doing as well once the sun comes up and I've had a few more cup's of tea.
Thank you for all your help chaps I'm glad to see its not just me with this problem.

Ian
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 10:57   #9
zetor160

It is a problem with these cars - this point in the system never lines up properly.
What I have done in the past too is I have loosened the system up at the next joint back - taking off the rubber mounting (over the axle/near the axle) and gotten the two parts as close to mating as possible then tightened them up in the middle first then re-tighten the back part last.

It is a fiddle..last time I spent half a day working on it til I got it to my satisfaction.
Good luck with the job
Regards
Z160
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote