Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Proud XC90 owner.

Views : 1687

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 16:58   #1
Dinky65

Smile Proud XC90 owner.

Hi,
As from Christmas eve 2008 I became a 2006 XC90 Ocean Race owner (D5 185bhp).
My first Volvo, my first Diesel, my first Auto and my first Hand brake that is actually a foot brake. It has been bit of a steep learning curve!

So far I like it, nearly love it, I really don't like the foot brake thingy, neither does the wife....

A few things do trouble me though. Searching through this site makes me concerned about 1 of them, the others not so.

A noise at about 1800RPM from the engine bay, or at least the front of the car. It is most noticeable in 5th gear as you move slowly through that part of the rev range. I get the jest it might be a engine bearer or have I misunderstood what was being said?

The parking brake pedal bangs when you release it, surely that can't be designed like that?

When I park, I do this: Put the Parking brake on, put the gear into P then take my foot of the brake pedal. The car often rolls a couple of inches forwards or backwards depending which way the slope is. Is this normal?

I am also after some advice.
Being my first auto, I would like some reading material (paper or electronic) on the best/correct way to drive an auto e.g. with a manual box you brake using the gears going down a hill etc.
Any useful hints and tips are welcome.

Hope I haven't asked any silly questions.

Fred
Dinky65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 17:40   #2
F1BMC

Wink Parking Brake

Mine sounds like the cables snapped when you release the parking brake and also moves an inch or two after it's been applied - all perfectly normal I'm afraid - but in fairness that's about as bad as it gets!!

Bill
F1BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 18:12   #3
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Welcome Dinky65! Congratulations on your XC90 - I love the Ocean Race blue colour!

Regarding your queries, I'm sure there will be many replies from this knowledgable lot, but from my perspective:

Noise at 1800rpm - check your top engine mount for wear and change if it is the old round design as there's a newer square revision that is not prone to deterioration. Mine (MY05, 50k) was totally shot and the new mount certainly helped in reducing noise at lowish revs.

Parking brake. Yes, I totally agree with you. My first experience of this too and what complete nonsense. Took me by surprise as well. Loud clicks when putting it on, difficult to actually get your foot properly on it as its too close to the carpet, and a loud bang when releasing. Added to this I'm always catching the rear fog light switch when releasing! I do tend to counter the excessive release noise by having my foot over the lever when releasing - tends to be easier on the ear! Oh, and yes, mine rolls back too.

General driving - I'm new to autos too, so am also learning and these forums are a very good place to ask these questions. Its certainly a different driving technique than a manual I find (sometimes wonder if I made the right choice!). I wondered recently whether to come out of D at lights and into N with the parking brake on and it was basically 50% said yes, 50% no. I'm leaving it in D unless waiting for more than a light change. Look here for more reading on this. I'm slowly coming round to the fact that its all down to fluid friction and you're not really holding it 'on the clutch'! I've played around a lot with the 'manual' changes on the geartronic too and it does 'engine brake' quite effectively up through 2nd and 3rd down hills. Its also most useful up steady inclines when it has a tendancy to change down or hunt for gears - I'm leaving it in 3rd or 4th and its a lot happier.

Hope you begin to love it with time!

Last edited by Rockhopper; Jan 28th, 2009 at 18:14. Reason: Because I can't spell
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 19:29   #4
pdr944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinky65 View Post
Hi,
As from Christmas eve 2008 I became a 2006 XC90 Ocean Race owner (D5 185bhp).
My first Volvo, my first Diesel, my first Auto and my first Hand brake that is actually a foot brake. It has been bit of a steep learning curve!

So far I like it, nearly love it, I really don't like the foot brake thingy, neither does the wife....

A few things do trouble me though. Searching through this site makes me concerned about 1 of them, the others not so.

A noise at about 1800RPM from the engine bay, or at least the front of the car. It is most noticeable in 5th gear as you move slowly through that part of the rev range. I get the jest it might be a engine bearer or have I misunderstood what was being said?

The parking brake pedal bangs when you release it, surely that can't be designed like that?

When I park, I do this: Put the Parking brake on, put the gear into P then take my foot of the brake pedal. The car often rolls a couple of inches forwards or backwards depending which way the slope is. Is this normal?

I am also after some advice.
Being my first auto, I would like some reading material (paper or electronic) on the best/correct way to drive an auto e.g. with a manual box you brake using the gears going down a hill etc.
Any useful hints and tips are welcome.

Hope I haven't asked any silly questions.

Fred
hi there,

i have an xc90 geartronic and the parking brake has always made a bang on release.as its an auto i very rarely use the park brake.just put it in park and thats it.she will roll a couple of inches but its just the auto box takeing up the slack so to speak.as regards the vibration anything that turns has a critical speed at a certain rpm when it will vibrate .its to do with dynamic balance. after which it will calm down and go quiet .so it doesant always mean that something is wrong.as regards auto,s you cant beat em.i,ve always said power steering and auto/trans. and it does,nt get much better.i tow a large caravan and the xc90 is an awsome vehicle.you,ve chosen a very good vehicle enjoy it.

regards peter.

Last edited by pdr944; Jan 28th, 2009 at 19:36.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 16:25   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi,

Fred

Yes the bang is normal.

Volvos have always rolled backwards (since 1981 anyway) when you put the parking brake on, foot or hand.

I took my 245 apart after I'd had it about 3 months, in about 1983, intending to replace the hand brake shoes, but I found they are made with that amount of movement built in. My reasoning for them doing this is that in Sweden cars are usually laid up for the winter and Volvo worry that the shoes will freeze or rust to the drums so they build them with a lot of clearance in them to shake them free if they do get stuck on. If they had no clearance to get the car moving first, the wheels would probably just stay locked.

All the best.

Roy
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 20:25   #6
Dinky65

Thumbs up

Hi,
A big thank you for the great replies (F1BMC, Rockhopper, pdr944 and RoyMacDonald). All sound advice and I have read the RoSPA link, very useful. I will have to sit down with the user manual for a read!
Can any one recommend a workshop manual?
I normally get a Haynes manual. Not because I plan to do a lot of work, but I like to know how things come apart and will tackle what I consider an appropriate job. Not particularly fussed if its electronic or paper, but I did buy an electronic one for my Peugeot 307 SW and large parts of it were missing. The company gave me a refund but once bitten...

Is the Yellow plastic side bit in the front light cluster (on the outside edge, sorry its vague) supposed to have a lamp in it? I know the inner indicator works, it just seems odd to go to all the trouble of making that piece and then not use it.

The next time its a nice day and the car is clean I will post some photos, if anyone wants to see yet another XC90.

Thanks again for all the help.

Fred

Last edited by Dinky65; Jan 31st, 2009 at 20:29. Reason: Still learning to spell and type!
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:22   #7
pdr944

hi,
haynes dont do a manual for the xc90 as far as i know and the side amber section of the headlight does not have a bulb in it.i think it is to produce an amber effect from the side of the vehicle when the lights are on without haveing to fit an actual amber sidelight.i.e. like the s80 for instance which has a dedicated amber sidelight on the front wings.this comes from exporting cars to places like the USA where its mandatory.

peter.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:47   #8
D5Gill

Quote:
Is the Yellow plastic side bit in the front light cluster (on the outside edge, sorry its vague) supposed to have a lamp in it? I know the inner indicator works, it just seems odd to go to all the trouble of making that piece and then not use it.

The next time its a nice day and the car is clean I will post some photos, if anyone wants to see yet another XC90.

Thanks again for all the help.

Fred
There ARE bulbs in the amber sidelights - type 501 5W. When I bought my XC90, both of these bulbs were fused. There is no warning to show a blown bulb on the dash so I can only assume the PO was oblivious to the fact that they had burnt out.

We look forward to seeing some pictures of your XC90 :-)

Last edited by D5Gill; Feb 1st, 2009 at 09:54.
D5Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 11:18   #9
pdr944

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Gill View Post
There ARE bulbs in the amber sidelights - type 501 5W. When I bought my XC90, both of these bulbs were fused. There is no warning to show a blown bulb on the dash so I can only assume the PO was oblivious to the fact that they had burnt out.

We look forward to seeing some pictures of your XC90 :-)
just been out in the car and your right there are bulbs in the bottom corner of the amber side reflectors.

peter.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:14   #10
Dinky65

Hi,
Thanks for the comments.
As I scraped the car this morning I noticed that there is actually a lamp in those side lights, so I eat my words.

I hope the weather will be good enough to get some moody photos this weekend!

If Haynes does not do a manual, who does?

Cheers

Fred