Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Parts Department

Views : 1495

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 19:43   #1
FocusOwner

Hello there folks,

Firstly may i say what a great website and community you have here.

Secondly, ill start off with a bit of background, Ive worked at a Ford Dealership here in Plymouth for 3 years, In that time ive had alot of experience with facing customers, and taking part in events put on for the public etc. Mainly alot of trade experience. Ive now been accepted at a Volvo dealership here in Plymouth, and my role will be in the retail area.

What im wanting to find out is what you would like to see on offer when you walk into your local Volvo parts department, ie items/parts on display, product demo's, upgrades, clothing etc.

Im hopeing that you will help me with my research, I thank you kindly for all replys in advance!

Regards,
James
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 21:21   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I've invariably found Volvo dealer parts departments are staffed by very helpful people, so I hope you will continue the tradition! I pop into Plymton every May when on holiday in Devon, usually having found the excuse to need some small item, so yes - a tempting display of interesting bits and pieces is nice to see. However, the Volvo prices for many eg: clothing items are exborbiant and this may well be more of a deterrent. Otherwise, my main area for improvement is having the screen used to locate parts etc.. more convinently located so I can see it more easily. Good luck!
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 21:50   #3
FocusOwner

Excellent.

No doubt from time to time i will do a special promo on items like clothing, Eg. 10% off. Gotta shift this stuff LOL

Hopefully i will pick up the Volvo stuff like i picked up the Ford stuff!

I plan to have the parts screen on display so when im advising customers they can see what im looking at and desicribing and trying to sell to them!

I look foward to your visit

James
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 00:23   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default Items for sale at new Plymouth dealership

I wonder if you happen to have, somewhere in the darkest recesses of the dealership, an item which appeared on page 135 of the 1989 Volvo Travellers Guide, under "Towing & Stowing". It is called a Caravan Spoiler and is depicted fitted to the rear of a 740/760 estateand at the bottom of the previous page (134) fitted to a 740/760 saloon. I used to have one of these excellent accessories and would love to get hold of another to use on my 945 when towing my caravan. As it was an official Volvo accessory there should, somewhere in the system, be a stock of them. My original item cost £30 at a caravan dealer near Salisbury. If you can help I would be grateful.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 15:53   #5
dave r
VOC16743

Default Volvo parts dept

Hi James and welcome to the club, I've got to agree with Paul on this one, a display of Volvo goodies is always tempting but I am invariably put off by the retail prices. If you could manage a decent discount and a mail-order service it would be a start (I'm being cheeky, sorry) Best of luck with the job, hope it all goes well. Keep in touch.
Dave
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 16:15   #6
chow

i try and avoid volvo parts departments as i always feel when i walk out ive got something very big inserted up me that wasnt there when i walked in!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 20:49   #7
FocusOwner

Thank you for all your replys so far!

Peter,
I dont work at Volvo yet, i start in February. Once ive got all the books etc i will have a look for you and let you know.

Dave,
Thanks for the welcome. I totally know what you mean about retail prices, but end of the day retail prices are retail prices for a reason. There are plenty of indipendant/back street garages that charge you retail prices aswell as labour.

I plan to adjust a few prices making them appeal to custoemrs, like i mentioned earlyer, having a 'Sale' on bits and bobs, and doing bundle deals etc.

I cant see why i cant post parts of to members of this great club, that would be something i might bring in at a later date. Stay tuned on that one!

Chow,
Thats the whole reason i want to change the experience of coming to your local Volvo dealership, well, Stratstone Volvo in Plymouth anyways!

I look foward to reading more of your replys

James
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:29   #8
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

james

i posted this in the shoutbox but got swamped by the "banana brigade"...

all that "volvo for life" merchandise that was about, i was looking for a t-shirt for ages, could not get one from dealers by me and ended up ordering it from the states...

so i'm sure youll find a market here for that sort of stuff.

stratstone just took over becklands in birmingham, is this the a new dealership or the old riders one ??

anyway, good luck in your new position

cheers

scott

Last edited by GorgeousGeorge; Jan 12th, 2006 at 10:33.
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 20:38   #9
FocusOwner

Scott,

Riders was baught out by Stratstone who are owned by Pendraggon PLC.

Thats the kinda stuff im going sell. I knew there was a market for it at our Ford dealership but no one ever marketed it!

Thats something defo confirmed for Volvo

Thanks for your comments
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 21:08   #10
tj101c70

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOwner
Scott,
Riders was baught out by Stratstone who are owned by Pendraggon PLC.
mmm.. not quite right,, Riders Group (Cornwall) sold their Plymouth Volvo dealership,
98 Defender 50th V8
87 240 GLT Est (Red Man)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote